Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Sides With Brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Sides With Brisket?

Ok, so I promise I did a search for this before posting, so I feel pretty comfortable asking my Pit brothers and sisters to share their favorite side dishes to serve with Brisket. I've been dry brining my first Prime grade brisket since last night and want to make the sides spectacular.

Sides? After prep and cooking of said PRIME brisket, I can't think of anything else. Other then a fork and knife.

Looking forward to your pics.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I tend to be the same way - I have to rely on my trusty assistant.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF, my assistant/boss, Mrs. hoovarmin is an excellent cook - but the three toddlers in the house often flank us and she fills that gap.

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I was thinking when I saw the title. No sauce, no sides. Most of the time the brisket never even makes it to a plate! It’s eaten straight off the cutting board.

I love to make cast iron corn bread. I take a skillet, wipe it with bacon grease and then heat the skillet. Pour the batter into the heated skillet and then bake. The crust on the bottom of the bread is awesome.

I also love to make these Frijoles Borrachos. I have had a few variations of drunken beans and these are best drunken beans I have ever had. And they go great with that bold brisket taste. Give them a go.

Let us know what you end up making.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Love these two ideas, Spinaker - muchas gracias!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I make a variation that basically combines Meathead’s Texas style beans with the ideas behind Frijoles Borrachos. :-)

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      De nada. hoovarmin

Click image for larger version

Name:	raw.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	394833
    Pic #1 for HawkerXP

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Sir!!!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a fine looking piece of meat right there.

• KevinG
      KevinG commented
      Editing a comment
      As a father of twins, I picked up on the Troll and the straw cup as quickly as I did the beef and wine!

I personally prefer Texas style beans (see the recipe on AR as a starting point), coleslaw, and maybe corn with my brisket. Also, some pan fried toast can be pretty darn good with it. And Shiner Bock. By all means, Shiner Bock.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re gonna have to make a quadruple batch next time hoovarmin :-) .... but seriously, those beans with brisket are a killer combo. Plus coleslaw. It’s just not BBQ without slaw.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      We are one on the coleslaw axiom, @ecopwer!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I make those beans almost every time I do brisket now. When feeding friends they insist on them. Usually do coleslaw as well. So good! I got a prime in the fridge patiently awaiting it's opportunity for glory!

Mac & Cheese!

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Crack 'n cheese...

Anything someone else will cook.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you bro. I get dialed in to executing the meat cook according to plan and blinker out everything else in the world.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. "Honey, What are going to have with that brisket? butt? chicken?" it just goes on.........ahh... "I don't know" hoovarmin

I am good with some nice fresh buns or rolls.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Crescent rolls, wow them things go down too easy.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Great suggestion, Oakgrovebacon

Potatoes. Any way you want to fix them will work. What I really like is potato salad made with large chunks of new potatoes. That or these really garlicky fried potatoes my wife makes that are actually baked in the oven.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes!

Texas beans, mac 'n cheese, cole slaw, jalapeno cheddar cornbread n' real butter, to sop up th' goody, an' wipe th' plate.
    Dill pickle spear comes to mind, as well.

Sometimes pico de gallo, especially with brisky tacos! (Had 'em fer lunch, today. Yum!)

Taters of some sort, be they tater salad, baked, or twice, fried, mashed, sometimes variously flavoured with (any/all) cheese, ranch, sour cream, green onion, garlic, some gravy, etc.

Believe it, or not, sometimes veggies, even veggies an' dip (broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, jicama, peppers...

Fried okra, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, cauliflower...

Let yer imagination run wild, Amigo!!!
    Not all in one meal, jus' things I have used, alongside some brisket...
    I'm certain I'll recollect some more, here in a spell!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 13, 2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, Mr. Bones! I need second supper after all those temptations. I LOVE fried okra. Spinnaker also mentioned cornbread. The last brisket cook I made cornbread with coarse ground meal and it didn't soften. I think tomorrow I'm going to soak the meal in buttermilk for a few hours before adding the other dry ingredients. Does that sound right to you?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin Were it me, I'd start with mebbe ~ ½ hr. soak, see what that does...
      Not sure how coarse of a meal yer utilizin', but corn meal is pretty absorptive...
      Jus' my guess, YMMV...
      Don't wanna lose th' desired texture, an' make corn meal mush, in this particular case...
      (Although it's great, fried, fer breakfast!!!! )

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget the fried squash, Mr. Bones.

Collards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup!!! In Spades!!!
      Was jus' about to post:
      "An' don't even get me started on some greens, lol! "

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      I love me some collards Willy. And if there's collards, there must be cornbread.

You know what really goes well with brisket? Ribs.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      True story.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      If only I had the 26 and not the 22!

• 6th Borough BBQ
      6th Borough BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that is what I'm talking about.

How's that brisket going? I wish I could jump out of bed at 0415 for work, the way I do for a cook! Coffee tastes better too! Did you decide on your sides yet?

Comment

Baked Beans, Grilled Vegetables-(peppers onions mushrooms summer squash) Homemade Bread, even some Fresh Melon if available. Good luck with your Brisket hoovarmin !

Comment

For me & mine, it's garlic bread (New York brand garlic toast, to be specific...yum!), mac 'n cheese, and oven-roasted Brussels sprouts. Then a salad if we feel like it, sometimes only one veggie though.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Garlic bread goes well with everything

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Any chance you'll post your Brussels sprouts recipe?

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here