Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butter how do you store it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	E044D2B0-55EF-49E2-A827-74B90BF61C8C.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	897096 Box in freezer, stick in fridge.

Comment

Butter bell is perfect for one stick .... the water in the bottom keeps air away from the butter. You can see our butter bell, olive oil, and my redneck storage system for bacon grease :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	EB93EF4A-FC36-453E-A3C1-B080445DB123.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	897116Click image for larger version

Name:	8C78F632-8245-4B3A-86F9-59D873E2ECB7.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	897115

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Butter, EVOO, and bacon grease--you've got it covered.

K.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Brother, ecowper gotta tell ya this, right here, an now;

Yer "Redneck" Bacon Grease StorageSystem looks downright Identical to my "Redneck" Stovetop Spoon Rest System, lol
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 17, 2020, 10:37 AM.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones I learned that bacon grease system from my mother and pretty sure she got it from Granny. And it works like a champ. My wife has given up trying to make me get something pretty.

Salted in a dish on the counter.

unsalted in the fridge (baking etc).

Comment

Butter usually stays on the counter in my house unless it’s too hot outside. It has been my experience that unsalted butter will get moldy if left out for too long. Not the case with salted butter.

Comment

Even in summer in AZ our butter is just fine on the butter dish for a few days out of the fridge. A stick on the dish, one brick stored in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. My wife bakes a lot so butter is stored like it’s toilet paper in a covid quarantine...
          Last edited by synodog; August 16, 2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I just put it out on the counter to soften before I use it only to find out she walked by and put it back in the fridge!

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              🤷🏼 Mine would do the same. 😡

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Too funny, yall...

Reckon ya'll haveta find a hidin place fer yer butter...

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. My wife will put it back in the refrigerator if I don't tell her it's out on purpose...

What a great thread.
            I’ve always kept my butter in the fridge. And struggle with getting it warm enough to spread in a convenient time. Hate microwaving it.

The only thing I can add to this is that butter has milk solids in it. That is what makes it go rancid at room temperatures. If you cook it down to make ghee out of it than you eliminate the risk of having it go bad when stored on your counter.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

• Grillbilly
              Grillbilly commented
              Editing a comment
              rickgregory...stay safe up there in Seattle!

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve - I guess I just don't believe all "OMG it will go rancid in a day or so" worry that people have. I mean, yes, if it's in the upper 90s for a long time, put it in the fridge... but then you don't really have a spreadability issue since leaving it out for 30 mins or so will soften it.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Onliest way Milk Solids can go sour/rancid, is if ya jus passively let 'em...
              Eat yer RDA of Butter, all is well lol

My house is climate controlled to 71°F year round and butter in a dish in the cabinet is fine for a week or so.

I prefer ghee on toast anyway and ghee stores fine in the cabinet for a few months.

Comment

I keep it in the fridge. Freeze in bulk.

Comment

One stick in the counter storage container. It will go bad if not used in a week or so. I keep about a pound in the refrigerator for cooking and use the freezer for bulk storage. The frozen butter may be grated for biscuits and pie crusts with a coarse cheese grater. I buy unsalted for everything.
                There must be some advantage to cool storage for butter, otherwise grocery stores would not use expensive cooler space to display the butter.

Comment

We clarify our butter and leave it in the pantry. That gets the majority of the fats, water and other solids out so it has a much longer shelf life. It is much healthier for you also.
                  When we have regular butter on hand we keep it in the refrigerator, while our daughter keeps theirs on the counter. They go through it so fast it doesn't have time to go rancid.
                  I'm in the same camp as others. Have some specific for your wife and another for your likes. It doesn't take up that much counter space so why not?

Comment

We have a butter keeper on the counter, with one stick, which usually gets used within 3-4 days, and have no issues so far with it ever going bad. It makes for real butter that is easily spreadable, versus buying the tubs that mix in oil and such. All the rest is stored in the fridge. If baking, making sauces, etc, we pull sticks out of the fridge of course.

Interestingly, we did not start keeping it out until a few years ago, after discovering that my own mother and grandmother had done that all my life, and I just didn't pay attention... then I did some research, and found out it was just fine to do it if the butter will be consumed within a week or less, which is usually not an issue.
                    Last edited by jfmorris; August 17, 2020, 04:53 AM.

Comment

In a little bowl on the counter. We use quite a bit of butter around here so a stick rarely last more than a couple days. I HATE not having spreadable butter for some toast or pancakes or waffles or whatever.

Comment

Both ways

Comment

OK so I have a corn butterer that I keep in the fridge. It is very handy.

We keep a stick on the counter for cooking and spreading on spuds, toast and such.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here