Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another run on meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered my half side yesterday. Will not be here until July. The farmer that I spoke with told me that I was making a wise decision that it was getting ready to get ugly.

Comment

I had a freezer full of good meat the beginning of this crisis, but now I'm down to just a bunch of chicken breasts. I got a new WSM smoker a few weeks ago and was really hoping to try some pork butt and brisket, but it may be hard to find now.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        It is so hard to figure out what to believe. Some are saying it is made up and some are saying that there is going to be a shortage. Right now here in VA, we are seeing limited supplies. I have ordered a half a side of beef...

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        I really do feel for you. Once I get anything new and finish assembling it I just got to get a few cooks under my belt to be happy.

Made a Costco meat run today. The good news is that selection of items seemed better but they only had a few, say 4-5 of each item in the case. But the great news was that prices were pretty much the normal from months past. I picked up a couple of chuckies and a pack of lamb loin chops for the same price as always in the past. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Comment

Went to HEB on Tuesday. They had briskets back in stock, but prices were HIGH. $5/lb for select.

Seems to have an over supply of pork but still limited beef selection

Comment

I hit Sam's Club the day before yesterday. It had been a while...

They had meat. It wasn't as stocked as I remember seeing it a year or so back, but it didn't seem barron & I left with two CAB Briskets. 4.69/lb, if I remember correctly.

Cornmeal, on the other hand.... they had none, so I stopped by a "Save a Lot" and they had plenty of both meat and cornmeal. Two packs of pork shoulder were .99/lb.

Comment

Well, I go to Sam's Club much more often than I go to Costo, and their beef selection has been piss poor for months now.

I went to Costco to get propane tank refills, as well as to get 2 new tanks yesterday, and unlike last time I was there, they actually had a good number of briskets out, and the price was down to a reasonable $3.49 per pound.

So, along with propane (2 new tanks, 4 total tank fills) and a membership renewal ($60 expense I did not expect), I left with a 16 pound brisket, which is in the garage fridge right now.

I won't be cooking it this weekend, as we don't expect more than 5-6 over here on the 4th, but I will be plotting and scheming as to when I can smoke it. It may have to hit the deep freeze, but at least I will know its in there....

I also scored 11 pounds of $2.99 ground chuck at The Fresh Market on Tuesday, which they have not been doing for a while. I think they only did it for the July 4th week. It was a bit too long to keep that in the fridge, so instead of my usual smash burgers, I went ahead and made it all into 1/3 pound patties, froze for 20 minutes, then vacuum sealed in packs of 8 for use as needed.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea the Costco here had a really good selection of about everything on Tuesday. The $2.99 ground chuck was there and also at the Fresh Market.Picsnga
              I scored some prime top cap sirloin (Picanha) already cut into steaks for $6.99 lb.

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya, stock up for that new griddle there you are enjoying way too much ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              ofelles you got it - gotta have burgers for the griddle - and on sale especially gotta stock up!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here