Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another run on meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in Northwest, Georgia and while there is meat available, the variety simply isn't there like it used to be. It can be hit or miss getting a pork butt. I've only seen one brisket in the last 3 weeks that I wish I bought, but I didn't have room in the fridge. The available chicken was just horrendous - it was just those 10 pound bags of quarters. I'm glad that the stores here seem to have learned from the whole toilet paper fiasco and they're limiting sales on meat. That said, I'm not as nervous as a lot of people may be because... and I imagine I'll catch hell for saying this here... but I used to be a vegetarian and I generally eat vegetarian Monday - Thursday. So, I''m not as nervous as most people because I know I can cook my way through it. It would be nice, though, if the news in the middle of freaking the country out about a lack of meat would also promote resources for people to use less meat.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as you eat meat Fri-Sun, we'll give you a break lol

They had plenty of meat at my local Florida Whole Foods this morning. But there was less variety than usual, especially in the chicken section. The crazy thing was that they had several tri-tips in the display. That's like a unicorn sighting in Florida.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you buy the unicorn, so that you can cook it and eat it? Please say yes!

• DreamOn
      DreamOn commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughter works at Whole Foods in PA... said they are out of ground beef and salmon.
      I mostly shop at my local butcher shop. The only thing they have a limit on is ground beef. They had plenty of pork ribs, beef ribs, short ribs and brisket... which is what I wanted 😁.
      Chicken I got the last pack of breasts. The had a few tenders, lots of thighs and drumsticks left.

Originally posted by Spacecase View Post
    They had plenty of meat at my local Florida Whole Foods this morning. But there was less variety than usual, especially in the chicken section. The crazy thing was that they had several tri-tips in the display. That's like a unicorn sighting in Florida.
    These are the good parts of a unicorn, in case anyone was wondering....

Click image for larger version

Name:	unicornmeatchart16031132257817116-Modified-2-1170x617.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	840452

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Rainbow Factory? Is this saying that after the parade passes those are piles of rainbows on the street? And here I thought it was shhhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean, shave everyday and you'll always look keen!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb it’s only rainbows if it’s a unicorn. If it’s a horse.... well, just keep on shaving with it I suppose!

My case of 8 cans of Spam just arrived! Now we’re set for the meat apocalypse! 🤣

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      8 cans would last about a week in our Hawaiian relatives house. Enjoy it.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      As I was reading further up the chain, I was thinking I should get some Spam. Wonder when it will run out.

I went to Wendy’s for lunch yesterday and they were not selling any double or triple patty burgers - singles only. Weird.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Where's the beef?!?!?

• Spacecase
      Spacecase commented
      Editing a comment
      Any idea on the bacon situation at Wendy's?

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      What's next? Arby's? "We HAD the meats!" 😄

What!?!?? Wendys without burgers? Maybe it IS a meat apocalypse! 🤔

Comment

I have a good amount in the freezer... our local butcher was pretty well stocked this last Saturday, but they did have some limits on several items. Tomorrow is "senior" day there, 10% off, so I think I'll check it out just for a few more items - I won't get greedy, just kinda a little above normal in freezer.

Also, I'm going to up my shares in the sustainable fishery that delivers blast frozen direct from ocean to Grants Pass, with no middleman. They deliver once a month to a local business where I have a three day window to pick it up. Figure more fish will be good for us. https://www.posustainableseafood.com/

Only bad thing... the local butcher and sustainable fish is much more expensive than super markets, but much better quality as well. I guess I can afford it... I only put $18 gasoline in my car over the last two months - working from home and not going anywhere. Also, wife usually drives the Tundra and a single trip to CA and back is about $200 in fuel - she was going often to take care of her sister, and to see our Grandchildren. Quite a savings there. I do feel bad that these savings come at the expense of others, so will be making some donations as well.
      Last edited by treesmacker; May 5, 2020, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I ordered a half cow today. Will not be ready until late August, but that will work out good. I believe all of this is going to help the local farmer and there is nothing wrong with that if it holds true.

Comment

We have shortages every now and then because of hurricanes. This was last August...

Hope you like having frozen pollock with process cheese for dinner!

Comment

Well, I was the first customer in the door at Sam's Club this morning, and despite their website, they had no briskets, which is what I went for. The only meat out was some boneless skinless chicken breasts, whole chickens (got a 2 pack of those), pork chops (got some), spare ribs (got some), and the big 10 pound tubes of 80/20 ground chuck (got some). They also had some beef tenderloins, but they were way too pricey.

I think I will portion the meat up, vacuum seal it, and freeze in portions to cook maybe 4 chops or burgers at a time.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              ...but did you get some toilet paper, that's what I want to know

Was chatting with a friend in Iowa last night. A local (to him) farmer is having to cull 100 pigs a week because they can't send them to processing. My buddy is going there to slaughter one this weekend and take it but... yeah, this is hard for us but it's harder for farmers.

Comment

Ground chuck in my local store is up to $5.29/lb, ground sirloin is in the $6es. Double what it was a month or two ago. Cheaper (currently) to buy brisket.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                ...and then grind that brisket. I'm telling yea, those make the best ground meat for meatballs, hambuggers and meat loaf imho.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I went to Sam's last night AND this morning after they had a chance to restock, to get a brisket - they had a bunch on Saturday. I screwed up by not getting one when I saw it.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman Yep, but I can't bring myself to grind a brisket. Ain't no meatloaf or burger I like better than brisket! jfmorris I worried about the price going up or them running out, so I bought another last week when at Sam's to be safe. I now have 5 briskets in the spare fridge. Next time you see them gotsta buy one!

Well, decided to do something with the meat in the garage fridge. While I normally do smash burgers, I just got through making 30 1/3 pound burgers, vacuum sealed and in the freezer in five 2# packs. We can do a few burgers, or make spaghetti, etc. Also cooked 6 pork chops for dinner tonight, and froze twelve.

I've already spent 2 days looking for brisket, might go to Costco early tomorow, just to make it 3 days in a row! That said, the deep freeze is packed, and 1 of the 3 fridge freezers is packed. I don't want to look like a hoarder... I do have a few steaks and a 3 bone prime rib left in the freezer...

What I really want to find are a couple of boston butts for the freezer, as I cook that way more often than brisket.

Comment

We don't have a Sam's or Costco nearby, but the Walmart was only low on beef. No choice hamburger, only 70/30 at 4.49. Very little else, couple of chuck roasts, which I already have plenty of in the freezer. On the pork and chicken front they were fully stocked. Bought a 10lb bag of leg quarters for $ .73 and some boneless, skinless thighs for $ .99. Bought a nice pork butt for $1.89. They had St. Louis ribs for $2.09. They even had lamb and bison at reasonable prices for those cuts.
                Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 7, 2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Costco at lunch time... weird scene, meat-wise. Plenty of steak (T-bone). Plenty of ground beef. Lots of pork (grabbed 2 butts... no not that way!). Zero brisket except for one hunk of a prime brisket that was cut off the end with the point which I grabbed for ground beef (mmm prime brisket....). Zero chuck roasts.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here