Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another run on meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking meat shortages up here in the sticks too.
    Three major meat producers are down or were down last I heard that account for 60-80% of meat cutting in Canada.
    No meat bunkers were bare on the week end but not as full as usual and a lot of empty spaces.
    Potatoes on the other hand are in a gut.
    With all the fast food joints and restaurants closed there's tons of potatoes that are not needed

Comment

I went to the butcher shop today and picked up a few chops and steaks to fill the nooks n crannys of the freezer. Asked about the "shortage" and got a funny look, maybe butcher doesn't sell Tyson...? so hard to figure what is really going on now adays.....
      sometimes I just wanna go back to b&w tv with 3 stations, no cell phones, no computers.....just sit on the front porch....oh wait, that’s what I’m doin’ now with my cell phone/computer/tv thingy.....and rum drink

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with all but the b&w TV, can't do b&w again....just can't....

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol! smokin fool , I didn't know Gilligan's shirt was red until I was nearly 20!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 30, 2020, 04:24 PM.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I grew up with a console B&W TV. I remember our first color TV - a 19" Zenith or some such. It was a lemon. My dad was having to pull all the tubes every couple of months, go to the drug store, use the tube tester to find the bad one, then put the TV back together.

I grew up north of Atlanta in Marietta, and we were lucky to have something like 9 or 10 broadcast stations over the air! TBS was there (channel 17) back before cable TV became a thing. I was in high school when we got cable.

We were at Walmart in Broken Arrow, OK. today and took a look at the meat dep't. expecting empty shelves. They had full shelves, with lots of ground beef, all cuts of steaks and roasts. Pork selections were full with chops, loins, shoulders, etc. Their only empty area was chicken, as they had only 6-8 packages of thighs or breasts. Haven't been to our grocery for a week so can't speak for them. NO shortage at Walmart.

Comment

Go to a farmers' market and make friends with your local farmers. I went out to get some meat from a couple of the farmers I buy from. They both asked what I thought I would need until their next processing dates. They both set what I said I needed aside for me. Unless there's a run on frozen fish, we'll be OK.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Great plan, under normal condits...Farmer's Market not happenin face to face, this year, here, stay at home, social distancin, etc.
          Can dl their app, order ahead, pu Sat AM...

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          The weather is breaking, get those rods out and head to the lake. Just stay 6 feet away from your neighbor. No frozen fish required!!!

Never mind about meat now, they closed the Nutella factory in Brantford over employee's with the plague.
        My kids ate more Nutella than meat growing up....
        No mention if this plant exports to the US or not so you Americans may not be affected by this.

Comment

I'm going to hit Restaurant Depot and see if they have any big cuts, like a full strip loin or rib roast. Or maybe that top blade I was looking for a couple weeks ago.

Comment

I was at a local butcher yesterday - they were selling lots of steaks. We got some oxtails (on the kettle right now for some of Troutman's osso bucco with oxtails) and some frozen fish and assorted sausages. Went in a Food City yesterday too, no chicken parts but we picked up a couple of whole fryers. One of my co-workers runs a bunch of chicken houses for Tyson. She said they picked up their stock recently (they have a really large operation - they raise thousands of chickens for Tyson), but she said Tyson has been delivering products to their suppliers lately because they can't supply restaurants. She said they delivered 20lbs of breaded chicken strips to them this week. I asked her to give them my address lol.

Just as an aside, I got an order from Creekstone Farms today, and I have ordered from Porter Road in the past. I may start moving in this direction for a lot of my meat. It costs more - I got (4) - 2.5-3lb slabs of spares for $84 and ~7 lbs of chuck short ribs for $74 (on sale for $20 off, thanks jumbo7676), but the quality is way above the stuff I was getting in the stores even prior to this pandemic.

Comment

Again I wasn't really impressed by the price or quality. The ribs look good at 2.58/lb, the ham was about the same per lb, and the strip loin was 10.50/lb, but it was hard to find a nice one Click image for larger version

Name:	15882801508078340192337110405558.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	840002

Comment

One of our local butchers closed their doors for good this week, I'm kinda sad, but they honestly had overpriced stuff. With have the US's largest pork display 15 minutes away so I guess I can go there, but I tried to support non-chain local when possible... the place that closed just really never had much worth buying considering it was the same exact meat the local grocers had for less and with a bigger selection.

Comment

No shortage of meat at our stores this week. I fact, I got a brisket at $1.67 a pound with a $25 dollar purchase. I picked up a couple of cans of Spam in case things get crazy. Grilled spam can be pretty tasty.

Comment

• Skip
                    Skip commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At least some of the Hormel SPAM is made in Austin MN about 70 miles from our house.

• DreamOn
                    DreamOn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will disagree: no form of Slimy Ham is tasty 😂

• Jfrosty27
                    Jfrosty27 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We are Spam lovers. Order a case of 8 cans from Amazon a few days ago. Backordered until May 5th. Never would have figured that 🙄

No shortage of meat this side of the world. Nearly opposite for us that the meat factories have to much meat with the restaurants, fast food & hospitality industry closed down.

Comment

My hubby thinks so because of the stuff on the news about supply chain issues. Although "stocking up" is a nice theory but impractical when all 3 of us here are unemployed. I applied for unemployment but 3 weeks + later my application hasn’t even been processed yet with the backlog ☹️.
                    My store here this week had chicken, limited beef and almost no pork.

Comment

Colorado COSTCO meat counter was cleared out two nights ago. I showed up the following afternoon and they had filled the cases with everything but chicken - and I mean "filled"! Not an empty spot anywhere- chicken space was filled with pork bellies instead of chicken. I grabbed two pork shoulders, a couple packs of tri tips, and a salmon filet to top off my freezer. Salmon is going on the Egg in a couple hours after the pelicle (sp?) forms for a good smoke over maple wood.

I spoke with the meat counter guy (told me he wasn't a "butcher" so I"m not sure how to refer to him). He told me there was an insane run on everything a couple nights ago but they were well stocked in the back. That stock was put out the night before I got there and things had settled down a bit. Chicken was due in that night so they're fine for now. He did say they'll likely have used up their stock and the COSTCO supply line in the next week to 10 days if nothing is done about the closing plants.

We have a full freezer anyway- always have since I load up on meat sales year round. I have a coworker who went out and dropped $2500 on a freezer and threw $4500 worth of meat in it. Ridiculous considering it's just him and his wife.

Comment

I would also throw in (concerning empty meat coolers, and other items) part of the run on these things could be because states on lockdown are beginning to 'open up' again. A lot of people are concerned it is too early and will result in another surge of Covid-19 cases. Time will tell, but I bet some of the hoarders are stocking up for this possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by sjvmi87 View Post
                          ... I have a coworker who went out and dropped $2500 on a freezer and threw $4500 worth of meat in it. Ridiculous considering it's just him and his wife.
                          These are the kind of idiots who have 4 months of toilet paper too. "SEE, SHORTAGE!!!" No kidding, you bought it all.

Comment

• jfmorris
                            jfmorris commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That is an insanely expensive freezer! Must be gold plated or something on the outside...

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here