Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite camping meal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite camping meal?

We are looking for ideas on meals to prepare either before or while camping. Some folks prepare their meals beforehand and either cook the ingredients at the campsite or heat them up if they were cooked earlier. Some folks like to do the entire meal at the camp using a grill, cook stove, crock pot, or fire.

What is your favorite camp meal and why? We hope to incorporate some of them into our camping experiences.

Thanks!

Ribs. Makes the neighbors crazy due to the aroma all day then they get to watch us eat.
    Second favorite is breakfast. Bacon and eggs frying, nothing better in the morning. All our cooking is done outdoors even though we have a kitchen in the camper.

Comment

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      Have an outdoor kitchen on the camper supported by a CampChef two burner stove. Keeps the heat and smells out of the camper.

Breakfast burritos and regular burritos. You can precook and season the meat and freeze it in a ziplock. The veg are fresh, the eggs are easy to scramble, meat reheats easily, use frozen hash browns, shredded cheese - BAM, easy, tasty meal.

Comment

• snowswamp
      snowswamp commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not a chef at camp. I want fast, filling, tasty food especially when the kids are hungry after a day running around. 😀

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      Breakfast burritos would be popular with the crew.

I cook from scratch for all meals. I use a small propane grill, a propane burner, a white gas stove, and the campfire. Just depends on what I'm cooking. I have a cookbook full of foil packet meals and I do use it, but it's far from the only option. I've posted some of my cooks here in the past. My favorite is grilled chicken wings.

Comment

Chicken satay, mushrooms, and stuffed peppers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6xFfJ5CQOhsgaPi3IH7IJp4YJ4eV_6MvoBMb8BjeL3ToOvQnTFkrETkSZGOSPOk6ushIeKzfrAWySY9Ks-O9ERvc5kAartwWI2tqh00rzUsehJM3s-fk_IYVnnpLSLRlXytGOpoZU3KW6yWWVe86U7L6Dk13hFyu96xWePbdKLzEdprKE4O-dtNAFUykFxNU-iwQS3sqW9ciTJTX_q76RqkcfiCVx-DtzqJ96Y08ezeU159AJrr0jACL1h7UMM1
Views:	356
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	725930

Name:	y0Hcx6_wG0Cuc1yXknBFXqL8CnB08BuxiLzkqgy4vBUT0cynFffTGrLmH_ydQm5ZmstYthUfhRSZC18kB08JtudUSMp7pA-KFTpaAroY8Z_1FUiURKPiI-Vzzgmxnw4XxZKV-iJTOrDWBc1iEDVazWx9pWThSZ1ah86B5APyFNxFwOeMa5FxcCS4dX-pSr5A_5DRwMjEqzlzzxF-lF9q6ogkkOIgHugQOabi8tCAp9xxbXqkckbr06k08I_nJPa
Views:	339
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	725931

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        mmmmmmmmdoaky!!!!!

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you marinate your chicken? If so, how, and where did you get the recipe?

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        zzdocxx I usually do but can't remember if I did for this cook. I tend to wing it when I do depending on what I have on hand or what style of cooking I'm shooting for. But I do try other people's marinades on the regular as well.

Please remember, General Discussion is for anything off the topic of food, cookers, etc. If you have a general food question or discussion, please place it in the main Recipes, Techniques, Food & Cooking Discussion channel. I have moved this there. Thanks.

Comment

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

It is an entire Thanksgiving dinner. For many years, as our kids grew up, we spent every Thanksgiving camping at Big Sur CA. My wife totally enjoyed the challenge of making a terrific family dinner, and boy did we benefit. Sometimes, we brought the Weber kettle along and did a whole turkey (that attracted some complements as the odor wafted across the campground). Other times, she had the butcher bone the turkey and make us a roast of the meat; that was a little easier and wonderful. The dinner always included all of the fixins including dressing, mashed potatoes, yams, green bean casserole, pies, cranberry... you know!. All carefully orchestrated to be warm at the same time using camp stoves, grills, and campfire. Tent camping, and most years the weather cooperated - only rained a couple of times. Believe me - that dinner is good anywhere, but even better outside in nature.

Comment

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        We had Thanksgiving at a cabin once and would do it again. It would be difficult to have the Thanksgiving camping experience in South Dakota.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        That made for some great memories! What a wonderful way to spend thanksgiving.

I'll tell ya want not to cook. (Labor Day cookout 1990, Riceville, Louisiana)

1. Frozen microwave pizza in a black skillet until severely burnt on the bottom (still frozen on top half).

2. Take used black skillet and fry Bologna in the black char residue.

3. After Bologna fry, pour in canned carrots and corn, and make sure to stir up the blackened char from previous cooks.

Enjoy the GI Ailments for the next 48-72 hours.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re quite accomplished.

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't see this being one we try.

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing like a good purge.

Just make up some hobo dinner packs in foil ahead of time and bring them with you to the campsite. I don't like to spend a lot of camping time preparing meals, so I keep it simple.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I have only done hamburger, but chicken should work. Sausage would definitely be something to try.

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        This is what we do as well. Ground meat, onions, potatoes, seasonings. KISS.

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        What’s a hobo dinner ???

OK I just googled it. Do you bring them raw and cook them on site, or pre-cook and warm them up?
        Last edited by zzdocxx; August 5, 2020, 02:42 PM.

Camping? It depends on the rig. Assuming its just the fire pit...Hobo-pack all the way.

Comment

My idea of roughing it is the Embassy Suites, so whatever is on the menu is fine.
        I haven't camped since Boy Scouts....the major reason I no longer camp.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife's idea of camping is staying at a Holiday Inn with a black and white TV at the edge of town.

We simulated camping conditions in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey two years ago, and it convinced me never to take her camping.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          OK...so I'm not the first. LOL

"Roughing it" means that room service it late.

OTOH...I've also been known to go barefoot through the lobby of the Outrigger Waikiki. LOL
          I used to be there so often that they knew me on a first name basis.

I never enjoyed camping, so I am no longer a camper...

Comment

I am a huge fan of anything cast iron while camping. Obvisouly, if you are back packing that is not an option. However, most of the time when I am camping, I am floating or we are at a camp site.

In June I was up in Glacier and we did some Chicken enchiladas in a Lodge Combo set. I put the enchiladas in a deep skillet and placed it onto to a bed of coals. Then I put the lid on and added coal to the lid. It took about a half hour and the results were amazing! Make sure to buy some fat, either lard, oil or keep your bacon fat from breakfast. That makes cooking much easier.

We also did some brats and some tri- tip.

Name:	IMG_4447.jpeg
Views:	369
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	726028

Name:	IMG_4162.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	726030
          Also, you can't beat steak and eggs. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4170.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	726033
          And you couldn't beat the view!

Name:	IMG_4483.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	726035

On the river we make some killer meals. Fresh Salmon, salad, Roe and some really hearty hash browns, eggs, and moose sausage for breakfast! And some sprouts !

Name:	IMG_1769.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	726034Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479.jpeg
Views:	348
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	726031Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1758.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	726029

Name:	IMG_2182.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	726037
          Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! bep35

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            okay you have definitely raised the bar!

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Now THAT I could get into...
            Had my ex liked camping, I could see that. But now...not looking like something I'll sign up for anytime soon.

Here is what we do at our Meatups in the VA, MD, DC area curtesy of Mudkat

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Always good times and we always keep it simple!! 😀

• bep35
            bep35 commented
            Editing a comment
            Lot of good looking food and cooking techniques there. The PBC made its presence known.

My wife has one of those Dutch ovens designed for going in the camp fire. She's done a lot with it, stews, burgoo, lasagna, and upside down cake. Also like breakfast in one big skillet--eggs, meat, potatoes, onions, peppers, whatever. We also have a tripod grill grate for cooking over the fire, I love burgers and steaks on that, and have cooked some decent chicken that way too.

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            I use one of those DO's too. One of the go too 's for sure.

• bep35
            bep35 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I need to try the all inclusive breakfast some day.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here