Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noticed today the price of corned beef (brisket) is on sale since it's March. Flats are as low as $3.48, and points are $2.49/lb. That's incredible.

I see a couple nice pastrami flats in my near future, cheaper than hamburger.

Comment

Coming strictly from chicken, burgers and tender steaks, I have no clue which cuts are good for smoking, and what prices should be considered normal. I ran to Costco yesterday to see what they have at this time. Here's what I found...

Beef
      Beef Loin Top Loin Whole $2.99/lb
      Beef Ribeye Whole Boneless $10.59/lb
      Beef Brisket Whole Vacuum Packaged $3.49/lb
      Beef Brisket Flat Vacuum Packaged $4.79/lb
      Beef Rib Whole Bone In Vacuum Packaged $8.39/lb
      Beef Ribeye Whole Vacuum Packaged $8.49/lb
      Sy Ginsberg's Corned Beef $4.79/lb
      Pork
      Pork Loin Boneless Vacuum Packaged $1.79/lb
      Pork Shoulder Roast Boneless $1.79/lb
      Pork Shoulder Butt Bone In $1.59/lb
      Pork Belly Boneless Vacuum Packaged $2.89/lb
      Pork Loin Backribs $3.69/lb
      Pork St Louis Ribs Brisket Bone Removed $3.39/lb
      Rack of Pork Loin Bone In $2.99/lb
      Seasoned St Louis Ribs (dry rub w/salt) $3.69/lb
      Do any of these stand out as:
      • Stay away, no good for smoking?
      • Bad price?
      • Great price?
      • Smoke a lot of this?
      • Look somewhere else or for different cuts?
      Any advice is much appreciated. I'm trying to get a baseline so when I'm in stores I know what cuts/packaging and prices are worth getting.

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
        Koy Schoppe commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been very happy with Costco's ribs, pork butts, and briskets (all prime). I love going there knowing I can get a great 10lb brisket, two pork butts, or three racks of ribs (spare or babyback) for about $30 +/- a few bucks.
        I think ribs have had the membrane removed.

• Koy Schoppe
        Koy Schoppe commented
        Editing a comment
        And agree with Huskee, stay away from pre-seasoned. Not as good, and ruins half the fun.

• BruceB
        BruceB commented
        Editing a comment
        Costco here has Prime whole packers for $3.19.

Has anyone noticed the prices of beef falling anywhere? I've heard it's happening, or supposed to be, but haven't seen it in my supermarkets yet.

Snake River Farms has increased the price of their regular Choice briskets another $30. What was $69 a year & half ago went up to $99 last year, and now is at $129.....for a regular Choice brisket. Reverse progress! I get that they are a boutique outfit, they pay for good farming practices and employee wages, pensions, etc....but $130 for a Choice brisket? At the end of the day it's just a regular brisket.

Comment

It went up here. Wal-Mart full packers $2.56/lb. Highest I have seen it in a long time. A very high number of bovines were put on feedlots I think in April, so maybe this is a preemptive spike.

Comment

It's up here too. I was in the market for a packer; found some CAB at over $9 per pound, ranging from 12-18 lbs. Passed on them.

Kathryn

Comment

$5.99 a pound for chuck roast! Pork butts were running 99 cents to $1.29 a pound, they are up to $1.79/lb! Never seen them that high before. Picnic shoulders were 79-99 cents/lb. They are up to $1.39/lb. I can't even touch brisket; it's up to $9/lb in some places. That's almost ribeye prices!!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I had to buy a bunch of pork butts a couple weeks ago to smoke for a work event, $3.49/lb....for pork butts...no that's not a typo. A week later (of course) they're on sale for $1.99.

Beef prices have dropped quite a bit here. packers have been in the $6-$7/lb for the last 5 or so years. I bought a few 2 weeks ago for $2.49/lb. pork has been consistently in the $1.49 - $2/lb for as long as I can remember. Every few months you can find it for $.99/lb. Not sure on the bacon prices, my wife buys that

Comment

Today's Fareway ad has whole New York strip loins for $7.99/lb and sirloin tip roasts for $2.99/lb. I see sirloin in my future.

Comment

Years ago, my grandfather told me he went to a store to buy ground beef and their price was $0.99 lb. He told them that he could get it at a store down the street for $0.79 lb. They said he should go to the other store and buy it. He told them, well they are currently out of ground beef. They said that when they are out of ground beef they sell it for $0.49 lb. Lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here