Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was at Costco yesterday and brisket was $8.79/lb!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Same in MI my friend. My local grocery store butcher won't even buy briskets to sell now since HIS cost is $9/lb! Can you believe it? Pretty soon the mail order ranches' prices will shoot up (they're expensive, but not as bad as YET). They ship from frozen so they're nearly thawed on delivery, so it's not really realistic even to stock up from them.

One could make the argument that given that much of BBQ lore revolves around taking the tougher cuts of meat and making them tender by slow-cooking we should be more than capable of using the cheaper grades and performing some magic with just smoke (and no mirrors) with them.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I used a similar analogy when I shot a less than impressive buck- "hey a good hunter doesn't need a giant buck to prove he's a good shot!"

Good thought bo. I'm just not sure what cuts of beef a cheap right now

Comment

my local grocer is blowing out full bostons at $2.18/lb so I had to pick up 2 cases to be sure I had some for some upcoming smokes.

Comment

Ya'll got me concerned about meat prices... I did some checking at HEB (local grocer in San Antonio).

St. Louis spareribs (by Farmland): $2.97/lb.
        Choice packer briskets: $3.48/lb.
        "Super Trimmed" whole briskets: $5.28/lb.
        Trimmed flats: $6.78/lb.
        "Quarter Trim" split briskets: $5.28/lb. (looks like there's point & flat with a light trim)
        Boston Butt: $2.68/lb.
        Boneless Short Ribs (Choice): $4.58/lb.

I do remember getting packers for <$1 per lb in the not so distant past Choice steaks are $5-$7 per lb.

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the beauty of living in cow country.

Just looked online at Restaurant Depot. C.A.B. brisket is $4.04 a lb. and baby back ribs are 3.24 a lb.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a bad brisket price by comparison to what I see everywhere local.

Originally posted by bocefuss View Post
        Ya'll got me concerned about meat prices... I did some checking at HEB (local grocer in San Antonio).

St. Louis spareribs (by Farmland): $2.97/lb.
        Choice packer briskets: $3.48/lb.
        "Super Trimmed" whole briskets: $5.28/lb.
        Trimmed flats: $6.78/lb.
        "Quarter Trim" split briskets: $5.28/lb. (looks like there's point & flat with a light trim)
        Boston Butt: $2.68/lb.
        Boneless Short Ribs (Choice): $4.58/lb.

I do remember getting packers for <$1 per lb in the not so distant past Choice steaks are $5-$7 per lb.

My local butcher wasn't even sure what a whole packer was when I first ordered it. You're lucky to have so many brisket options

Comment

• bocefuss
          bocefuss commented
          Editing a comment
          I noticed today while shopping that HEB had trimmed Prime flats for $6.99/lb. Looked great... nice marbling. Today, I bought hatch pepper stuffed thick center cut pork chops, pork bellies to cure some more bacon and pork sausage with hatch peppers. It's hatch pepper season here in SA, TX.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          You're a lucky man bocefuss. My butcher informed me today they aren't even getting briskets anymore. They order them, but they don't come in on the truck. *sigh*

I have a local butcher that says they have prime packers.... Going to check them out this weekend. It's a bit of a hike for me .

Comment

I usually go to Smith's for my meat, but if I want prime I go here (less than a mile away): http://www.johnmullsmeats.com

I have to admit that I'm not seeing prices anywhere near as high as the rest of you are reporting. Certainly not at Smith's, and Mull's is reasonable. It also seems that I always get more meat than the price/lb I pay would indicate. I got a brisket for $45 that weighed over 10lb last time. (That's what they call "small".)

Comment

Just looked at pork butts Mon a.m. they were $2.98/lb not on sale....today they're up to $3.09... for a stupid pork butt, bone-in. And I volunteered to do pulled pork for all of us helping move the mother in law Saturday. Good thing I get a fresh paycheck Fri Good news is beef spare (back) ribs are holding steady at $3.49/lb (same as pork spare ribs)...if you call that good news. We won't talk about the price of baby backs here.

EDIT: OK we will, they've officially crested the $4 mark, I think $4.06 or 4.09.... for meat that's half bones..... [head in hands, sobbing]
            Last edited by Huskee; August 6, 2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Time for an article on the economics of buying spare ribs and home butchering to St. Louis style and what to do with the excess.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotta go with trimming to SLT. Its not hard and I absolutely love the tips.

• atlpbc
                atlpbc commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm no expert having just finished my first spare rib cook, but I bought the spare rib and cut it down to StL style from a video I found on YT. There was no mention of what to do with the "spares". I cooked them the same way, hanging vertically in my new Pit Barrel Cooker, with the same time duration. They tasted delicious. In fact, I brought the smallest, thinnest piece in, left it on the counter. Went out to finish the cook, came back in and it was gone! SO telling me it was really good, too...

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                @atlpbc- those are the rib tips, they are delicioso. Apparently someone else in your house thinks so too!

Here's this months specials From HOBE MEATS Phx, AZ. Certified Angus Beef.
              Prime Beef Tri-Tips $6.99lb
              Angus choice Beef Briskets $3.99lb
              Prime Flat Iron Steaks $6.99lb
              Baby Back Pork Ribs $4.99lb
              These specials are with printed coupon from their Web Site

Comment

Well I just found fresh baby backs (my bad)at a local farm market for 3.29 a lbs. I ordered a bunch. I'll get them next week. Better get some more food saver bags.
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 16, 2014, 08:54 PM.

Comment

One butcher near me has to pay $9/lb he says, and the other had been ordering briskets for months and they never come on the truck either he says. His supplier is in Detroit and someone there is buying them all up. I'm getting good at smoking chicken...

Comment

I was looking at the prices for meat by the case at Costco a couple of days ago. Pork was barely cheaper by the case. The real break for steaks was going from packs of individual steaks to whole cuts, by the case was only slightly cheaper:

Pork loin chops boneless: $2.89/lb
                    Boneless pork shoulder roast: $2.59/lb;
                    Boneless pork shoulder butt: $2.57/lb by the case
                    Pork shoulder country style ribs boneless: $2.69/lb
                    Pork St. Louis ribs (brisket bone removed): $3.19/lb; $3.00/lb by the case
                    Pork loin backribs: $3.29/lb; $3.18/lb by the case

NY Strip trimmed oxi (?): $7.19/lb by the case
                    Top Loin whole NY Steak: $7.39/lb @ 10 lbs
                    NY steak boneless: $8.39/lb @ 4 lbs

Rib Eye lip on (boneless): $7.58/lb by the case [butcher told me it was about 80 lbs per]
                    Rib Eye whole boneless: $7.69/lb @ 18 lbs
                    Rib Eye steak boneless: $9.99/lb @ 5 lbs

Brisket flats were $8.99/lb and they didn't have any cyrovac'd whole packer

So if I can learn how to break up those whole steaks or rib eyes (and get a proper knife for it), I may buy one. I just bought a Foodsaver.

I wish they had flap steak bulk or by the case. Had never heard of it before, but Googled while I was there - the "new bistro cut." Bought some and grilled it tonight and it was good (see my post in the recipes, etc. section). $7.19/lb

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      At those prices you may as well go ribeye!

• The Burn
                      The Burn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, if I can figure out how to do them justice when I cut them up, a whole boneless ribeye would be my future.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here