Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kroger is making Opening weekend for NFL football rockin: $1.99 Butts and $2.99 brisket! I just dry brined by butt for tomorrow's cook.

Oh, and Albertson's had Choice whole packer brisket for $3.49. Going to dry brine it in the morning and smoke it Sunday. Along with some #WhoDat Ribs for the Saints Game!

Comment

Don't look for meat prices to go down anytime soon. The working class folks of third world countries (ie India, China, etc.) are becoming more prosperous and demanding beef and pork in their diets. World demand for meat is likely going to increase as other countries develop a taste for meats we have enjoyed for years. The good news is red beans and rice prices should go down!

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Not to be a smart ass, but I doubt there will be a demand for beef in India . . . .

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol. I think you're right.

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct in the Hindus regions. But beef is eaten by the Muslim population in the northeast.

Originally posted by PaulstheRibList View Post
      Kroger is making Opening weekend for NFL football rockin: $1.99 Butts and $2.99 brisket! I just dry brined by butt for tomorrow's cook.

Oh, and Albertson's had Choice whole packer brisket for $3.49. Going to dry brine it in the morning and smoke it Sunday. Along with some #WhoDat Ribs for the Saints Game!
      NICE prices! What are your WhoDat ribs?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        They are my Good Luck Charm from last year, in my genesis of BBQ. (P.S. I'm not superstitious, just having fun. And I'm using the Last Meal Ribs and Memphis Dust recipe.)

I started cooking a slab or ribs or so in the summer last year, and along the way, discovered AmazingRibs.com, and my rib quality shot up! When Football season started, I just kept on. Then a few weeks in I noticed that I cooked Ribs on every day the Saints played, and the Saints kept winning, so I kept smoking ribs! On week 9, however, I cooked on Saturday and the Saints played on Sunday...and the Saints lost their first game of the season! #ItWasMyFault

So, opening day is TOMORROW!

I've got 2 Choice Brisket's dry-brining in the fridge, and 2 racks of Spare's that are all going on the WSM's Tomorrow!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on, PaulstheRibList! I could go for some WhoDats & choice brisket.

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, you are welcome anytime to some WhoDat's and Brisket

I enjoyed a first rate brisket yesterday, purchased and cooked by my nephew who bought it at the PX on Fort Bragg. He paid $1.85 a pound. I was amazed considering that I saw brisket at a local market for $14.00 a pound just the day before. I do believe that there is a certain amount of price gouging going on.

Comment

Originally posted by CB Dabbs View Post
        I enjoyed a first rate brisket yesterday, purchased and cooked by my nephew who bought it at the PX on Fort Bragg. He paid $1.85 a pound. I was amazed considering that I saw brisket at a local market for $14.00 a pound just the day before. I do believe that there is a certain amount of price gouging going on.
        That's great CB! Sure sounds like price gouging, unless they're selling Wagyu or top line Prime. Where I live it averages $8-9/lb retail, and one butcher even told me $9/lb is HIS cost so he doesn't even order it anymore (this is select or choice). I've said this before a few times further up the thread here. What's interesting is the same store sells corned brisket flats cryovaced for $5 or so/lb. 'How about just don't corn it and sell it straight?' I think whenever I see it there. Oh well, I may snag one of them up to do pastrami.... I've been doing smoked roasts and pulled beef to get my brisket cravings tamed.

Comment

I about gasped out loud when I seen this. This has happened in the last week.
          I had to take a pic since I didn't think anyone would believe me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5530.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	24802

Comment

OMG! Thats insane, not to mention those are Indians Kitchen. EGads!
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 9, 2014, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Not a fan of the brand? I've had good luck with 'em before. They are generally smaller which I prefer (

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              I have NO problem with IK at all, I put 115 lbs of their baby backs in my freezer last month at 3 bucks a pound. Figured I hedge my rib supply for the next few months.

What?! Are they trying to force us to become vegetarians?!

Haven't noticed any pork increases here yet. Costco's ribs are still just over $2/lb. And their beef prices have come down 20 cents/lb on most Choice cuts. And found some 80-20 angus hamburger the other day for $2.99/lb at one of the local chains.

Comment

Friend of mine farms feed corn. She says that last year she was getting $7+ per bushel. This year was a bumper crop and she was getting $2.75 per bushel. So while that's not great for her, hopefully it means meat prices will come down. Who am I kidding?

Comment

On a positive update, my local grocery store that couldn't get briskets (and when they did, they were $7.99-8.99/lb for flats) has some now.

USDA Choice, full packers, at $4.99/lb. This is incredible news and an incredible price considering what it's been since last spring.

Anyone else noticing a positive change in their local meat prices?

Comment

Pork ribs still very pricey here. SLC's are $3.19/lb and Baby Backs $3.48/lb at BJ's wholesale, which is pretty much the cheapest around. SLC's were $3.99/lb at a local supermarket.

DEW

Comment

• smarkley
                    smarkley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is ridiculous for SLCs

High meat prices and low gasoline prices equals about a push. Use the money you save at the pump to buy pork butts, ribs and steaks. Don't forget the beers!

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No argument here. I haven't stopped buying and cooking meat, but I was just saying I haven't noticed much of a price drop, at least yet, by me. Flank steak at close to $9/lb still boggles my mind.

Originally posted by Wartface View Post
                  High meat prices and low gasoline prices equals about a push. Use the money you save at the pump to buy pork butts, ribs and steaks. Don't forget the beers!
                  There's always a positive spin! More gas, more beer!

Comment

I feel everyone's pain in the price of beef. It's not just at the store, its beef period. The two bred cows I have coming this spring are costing me somewhere in the $3500 range apiece. On the bright side, its just one more step for me to become self sufficient and not rely on market prices!
                    The beef I just sold, I charged $2.25lb hanging weight. 1/4 beef minimum. I was the lowest in the area, I just feel bad for the people trying to buy it. Guess I'll never be rich, but I sleep good...

Comment

Good sleep is not to be undervalued

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here