Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***The First Annual E. Pluribus Unum: Fourth of July Rib Cook***

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My order from Wild Fork arrived today. Two racks of STL’s and two pounds of jumbo shrimp for apps. Ready to go!!

Comment

Got invited to parties Saturday and Sunday. Just picked up 6ea racks of St. Louis from Costco. Ready!

Comment

I was going to pass on the ribs this year - wife's relatives are coming in from out of state, and some of them are vegetarians. ALSO, I was told I'm not allowed to ignore guests for three hours. BUT!! Fate intervened. Was at our grocery today picking up some chicken, non-meat hot dogs, and veggie food makings WHEN THE STORE ANNOUNCED that St. Louis ribs were on sale for $0.87 a pound - yeah, 87 CENTS A POUND. Seems the manager overbought. They were cryo-packed but not frozen yesterday, and have a best by/sell by/freeze by date of 13 July. WIFE picked up three slabs and told me my job is to find room in the freezer for them. Still eating the ice cream I took out so the ribs would fit. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1508.jpg Views:	0 Size:	745.3 KB ID:	1244661 Pics of the veggies might make it here, depending.
        Last edited by Harry; June 29, 2022, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. What a deal! Congrats Pitmaster.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          That is outstanding! I can't remember the last time I even saw butts that cheap, never ribs.

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          Yikes! Makes my $3.99/lb ribs from Costco sound extravagant.

I didn’t get that kind of deal, but not too bad…$1.97 lb. Picked em up today at HEB, along with some Tasso for my pinto beans. This stuff is the bomb cooked with beans. It’s a little hard to find outside of the Deep South, but if any of you guys can get your hands on some Tasso, I highly recommend it. 👍

Click image for larger version

Name:	0EE425DD-B498-4BBF-88C4-30B43606C6B2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	1244689

PLEASE NOTE: THESE RIBS ARE PITMASTER PREFERRED. 🙄

Name:	0D71BE70-3153-494C-AA58-A2A1847271B2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	1244688

Name:	E6562BD0-04BC-4460-80E0-253A1CAEC604.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	1244690 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Geez. Another steal of a deal! No STL's locally so I had to order from Wild Fork @ $3.49/lb. Back ribs were available local but even more expensive.

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, with the NUMBER ONE RIB BRAND, you better turn out some kickass ribs hombre!

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dave, if they don’t turn out good, I’ll just lie like I usually do….”Oh yeah! These were probably my best ribs ever” blah, blah, blah

Picked up a rack of St. Louis from the local butcher. Haven’t made pork ribs in years. The things you folks get me into.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Can we perhaps interest you in an additional cooker or two?…..I know someone.

So, I still want to participate. However, curve balls sometimes hurt when they curve the wrong way. So, I'm going to still cook ribs but it's going to be M.H's recipe for pork country style on the Kettle. And I'll most likely do them on Friday. If I can stretch to Saturday I will do so. Sunday we're outta here for the week to Cape Cod. When I get back I'll do a rack of STL ribs on the PBJ.

TEASER; I have a story for y'all. I need to wait for a couple of days for things to settle so I can go from start to end. I hope to have things finalized in the next day or so. Please be patient, as it will be worth it.
        Last edited by RichieB; June 29, 2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I gots the meats. Just need to get the rest of the fixings Click image for larger version

Name:	AD01B2D7-8681-4718-B334-B25E687B865B.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1244774

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            How is your fridge so clean and organized? You must have cleaned it just for the pic…..

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            I reckon the man has more than one fridge...

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John Blame my wife. 😂

DaveD You got that right. 👍

Update: since I just got laid off, I will be joining the cook. Shopping tomorrow as I cooked off everything I had in the freezer. Stay tuned!

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent. Not about getting laid off of course. That sucks. But glad you’re joining in on the festivities.

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooof... very sorry to hear that, and I hope you land on your feet.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks y’all! I’ll be fine. I’m really hoping I can score some lamb ribs. Not holding my breathe, though.

As for a side, I came across a recipe for smoked salmon, artichoke, spinach dip. I might try it!

I will be doing a Grudge Match of sorts, two racks of SLC spares, one from Wild Fork (their standard "aged pork") and the other from Creekstone (Duroc). Haven't decided on the rub yet but will treat them the same to make a good comparison.

For SCIENCE!

EDIT: I'll also have to do my cook tomorrow, Friday 1 July, because there is substantial rain in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Monday itself looks OK though, maybe I'll do something else that day too
          Last edited by DaveD; June 30, 2022, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Looking good folks!

I will create the thread late tonight and post it in the morning! That way we will have a fresh spot to post all of our cooks!

Happy 4th and Happy Canada Day! Looking forward to seeing everyone having a blast this weekend!

Comment

• DaveD
              DaveD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for this, I was wondering if I was remembering correctly that this was the game plan...

OK... I haven't cooked/posted much lately... I'm gonna go to Cartwright's and see if they have any more of these... Click image for larger version

Name:	20220319_093709.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1245190 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220319_184833.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1245191

Comment

Stocking up!

Name:	27DCA000-F043-4762-9EF5-0FE1C83B54F2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1245220

Comment

Got my two racks o'ribs dry brining, and decided to go with Central BBQ Rib Rub, which is more on the savory side compared with Meathead's Memphis Dust, owing to the smaller proportion of sugar. Here's the recipe I got from Serious Eats (I think!) (without the salt):
                1 tablespoon cumin
                1 tablespoon paprika
                1 tablespoon granulated garlic
                1 tablespoon granulated onion
                1 tablespoon chili powder
                1 tablespoon brown sugar
                1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                1 teaspoon black pepper
                1 teaspoon white pepper
                Wild Fork "aged pork" rack on top, Creekstone Duroc rack on the bottom. I'm taking tomorrow off to pad the 3-day weekend, and will be putting these on sometime around 1pm... gonna be hot and muggy tomorrow, but no rain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220630_144024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	1245300

Comment

Oh joy! I just salted 5.9 lbs of pork ribs from Costco ($3.99/lb!) for an overnight dry brine. I’ll cook those off tomorrow and then do another batch on Saturday. Two days, two Fourth of July parties! On Monday, I’m pleading the 4th.

Comment

Just picked up some ribs for the PBC and some sides. Will document.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here