Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butcher Paper versus Foil - Texas Crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I never wrap unless I must to get the cook done on time. I believe the bark and smoke profiles are much better when the meat is cooked nekkid from beginning to end. paper or foil is a good tool to get past the stall when you have to finish the cook at a certain time.

Here’s an example of pork butt that was wrapped vs pork butt that was nekkid the whole way …. Both cooked on my WSM 22 … same cooker, roughly same temp, 2 hour difference in cook time.

9 hour cook, 250F grate temp, wrapped about 6 hour mark
    Click image for larger version  Name:	F6758225-B680-48A8-A74A-1B3B2C3719F3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1130941

No wrap at all, 11 hours cook at 250F
    Click image for larger version  Name:	575CEBE0-D152-4FC7-9D71-51709FA85BDC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.40 MB ID:	1130942
    Last edited by ecowper; November 22, 2021, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike a picture … a thousand words … etc

• jsaniga
      jsaniga commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, makes sense. And I think I need to start earlier so I don't have to worry about using a wrap.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      #2 all day!

jsaniga I'm not sure what temp you're cooking at but if you get crunched for time and need to power through a stall, especially with a butt, just push the temp to 275 or a little more.
      Last edited by Andrrr; November 23, 2021, 06:51 PM.

I only wrap brisket in paper. Foil for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
      I wrap everything in paper…but not until AFTER the stall. Nothing gets wrapped until the bark is set. For brisket that tends to be the last hour or two. Pork shoulder rarely gets wrapped before it’s done.
      I'm curious...why would you wrap at all if you wait until after the stall? The only reason I wrap at all is to power through the stall in order to stay on the right timeline. Not sure why else you would wrap if not to save time?

Comment

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Once the meat has all the smoke and color I want it to have I wrap. Often times those two come before the meat is done, but never once in my years of smoking has the bark been set before or even during the stall. Wrapping at the stall might get it done faster, but it won’t have the color or smoke flavor I’m after.

• Joey877
        Joey877 commented
        Editing a comment
        Santamarina I understand not wrapping the meat until you have the bark you want, but I do not understand why you wrap the meat after you have the bark if you are already through the stall. What is the purpose of wrapping the meat after the stall? To me there doesn't seem like any reason to wrap it at that point. Hope this doesn't come across as confrontational or anything, I am just curious.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here