Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backdraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backdraft

Seriously it was like a scene from the movie backdraft out on my deck the other night.

I've been unsatisfied with the sear on my Treager pellet smoker grill, so . . . I decided to try out the "grill on a chimney charcoal starter" technique.

I meant to fill it only half full but maybe I went up to two-thirds.

With in a couple of minutes of putting the first ribeye on, flames were shooting up from the chimney up to a foot high. I was battling the flames while debating how long to leave the meat on before flipping vs. should I use the JFK (just keep flipping) techniqe. ? ? ?

Sorry I couldn't get any pics of the cooking process as I was mainly concerned with preserving my arm from immolation.

Here are a couple of pics of one of the ribeyes though, both sides. Part of it were a little burnt tasting, parts were quite nice. Strangely it tasted better the next day warmed up in the microwave.

OK hang on a sec, going to log in from my phone to post pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210802_180823076.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	1072268Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210802_180809202.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.04 MB ID:	1072269
    Got them at Costco, choice grade. Finished in oven at 325 for about 10 min . . . because they were a bit rare straight off the grill.
    Last edited by zzdocxx; August 3, 2021, 10:24 PM.

You still have eyebrows Kathryn?

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Close, but not Kathryn. :-) She's fzxdoc and she's been around longer than a year. :-)

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare dang, don’t let me post late at night

I use the "no grate" technique. You hover your meat over the charcoal chimney which provides the radiant heat necessary and perfect for searing. If you use grates, it provides conductive heat which can burn spices.

how to hover? Use steel shish kabob skewers to put in side of meat and flip over. Those flames aren’t a problem since it’s radiant heat.
    Last edited by scottranda; August 4, 2021, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      This is using a pitchfork I got with the turkey roaster I got. But it eventually fell apart and I use two large skewers now.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve had flames bathe in meat, but no burned flavors since it’s radiant heat.

But, that "raw" comment… yes, you have to cook the inside of the meat before or after the sear so it’s like a medium rare (not raw). Be careful not to overshoot though!

Black is burned, browned is seared. Or so I read. I do like the taste of slightly charred grill marks. The visual just makes things taste better. The pics are looking good and I would pair them with PBR. Now I had to review:
    We Define A Proper Sear And Bust The Grill Marks Myth (amazingribs.com)
    What is your take on it?
    Last edited by bbqLuv; August 4, 2021, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes.

Editing that was not much of an answer, except I was just trying to say that I agree with you.
      Last edited by zzdocxx; August 4, 2021, 10:54 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here