Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A first for me: Smoked Bologna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fried, smoked baloney makes fer some of th world's best, if not classiest sammiches, as well, hot, or cold!
    Fer example, try a smoked BLT...
    Jus sayin...

Fried baloney was called "Red-Ring Steak", where/when I come up, from th outer wrapper ya had to peel off...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang! Obi-Dan
      We coulda at least traded lunches, once in a while, fer variety!
      My dad was a big Spam fan as well; (WWII Vet)

• SmokeRing
      SmokeRing commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure you have heard the reference to bologna as being Virginia steak?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      SmokeRing ,yup heard it referred to as many (Insert State Here) Steak, Sir!

Memories, anybody?

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Spam or Prem, fried thank you! Sandwich of Champions!

Love fried bologna, but have never done it on the barbecue. Bought a couple of unsliced chunks that just might be lunch today.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoke it; ya'll never go back, Brother!

My Dad introduced me to smoked, bbq bologna, man that is some good stuff, the old country stores would have bologna and crackers with hot sauce for an order on the menu. Back to the bologna on the pit there's nothing better! Well there may be but it is awful good.

Comment

Fried baloney sandwiches are what started my outdoor grilling career years and years ago. Wife had a new set of fancy stainless steel pans and I decided to inaugurate them with a fried baloney sandwich. Left a perfect baloney shape on the pan that NEVER came off. She threw a fit and banned me from the kitchen. She bought me a webber and kicked me outside. Kind of a good deal in a way. She bought a new set of fancy pans about a year ago and it is all I can do to keep from trying it out again.

Comment

• SmokeRing
        SmokeRing commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, grill it or smoke it it's great!

• SmokeRing
        SmokeRing commented
        Editing a comment
        When I was a kid my Dad would make fried bologna with hot sauce and eggs for breakfast.

Buy a whole chubb, garlic is good and slice it about half inch thick it's great!

Comment

Ya can always tell who growed up with fried, or either smoked bologna, cain't one?
        It is truly a Comfort Food, fer many of us.... Taste of Home, reckon they call it...

Comment

Baloney fried in a pan or stuck on a stick cooked over a fire. Boy Scout memories for me!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yuppers, Scout here, as well!!!!

Smoked bologna is awesome ! Nice one!

Comment

Well done, sir. Looks great!

Comment

I was raised on fried bologna sandwiches, but it seems like the quality dropped off so I haven't had it in a long time. I'll have to try this out. I think the local Cash & Carry restaurant supply sells Boar's Head bologna. Obi-Dan Thanks for posting this!
              Last edited by BBQ_Steve-O; July 13, 2018, 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                + 1 - I only buy Boar's Head beef bologna.

• BBQ_Steve-O
                BBQ_Steve-O commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks guys - I'm sold! My mouth is watering just thinking about a fried-smoked bologna sandwich!!!

• Obi-Dan
                Obi-Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                I have become a believer. I kept some for myself. I couldn’t believe how good it was.

We lightly score and cover with BBQ sauce. To serve we use either Texas Toast or a good, heavy burger bun that is toasted and spread with mayo and BBQ sauce. Top with bologna, pepper jack cheese and chow chow or pickles. To reheat leftovers you can fry and it freezes well. Wal-mart usually has a good buy on chubs.

​​
              Attached Files

Comment

I went to a bbq class ladt weekend. The teacher/cook was Stetling Smith. His bbq team is Loot & Booty. The mystery meat they gave him was baloney. He smoked it whole with his Everything rub. Then he brought it inside and sliced it into 1” disks, added more rub and put it on a PK360 (I think) and put grill marks on it. He then sliced it into 1” cubes and piled it on a plate for us to eat. Not bad but it was still baloney.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here