Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A first for me: Smoked Bologna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A first for me: Smoked Bologna

My cousin worked in Oklahoma for awhile and tried some smoked bologna while she was there. Apparently this is kind of an Oklahoman thing. She asked if I could do one. After looking at a few videos I said sure. So I bought a 2.45 lb. pound stump of bologna from some very confused deli workers. They could not understand why I didn’t want it sliced or that I wanted the whole thing.

This morning while firing up the slow and sear on my Weber kettle I scored all sides of the bologna and after using some mustard as a binder I rubbed a mixture of Everglades AP and Everglades Heat onto it. I then proceeded to smoke it with some cherry wood at around 270 for two hours. Then I glazed it with some Sweet Baby Rays I had left over for another 30 minutes.

I was was surprised at how good it tastes. I was very skeptical and so was my daughter. We both liked it. She said it tasted like sausage. I had to agree. If I ever make another one I will do two things different. 1) Find a different grocery store. My Kroger only carried Boars Head. This thing was almost $30.00 to buy. I bet I can find it cheaper than $9.99 a pound. 2) I think I scored it too deep. Once I get into the middle it will slice but I cut the end off and it came off in cubes. (Bologna burnt ends?).

Anyway, something different and new and pretty tasty.
    Attached Files

That looks delicious!! Boars Head is the Kobe of bologna if there is such a thing!!
    Try slicing it and fried bologna sandwich!! Delicious!!

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      The Kobe of bologna is hilarious. And thanks for the frying it tip. I’m going to keep a little for us but was going to ask my cousin if there was a way to serve it.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Obi-Dan fried on white bread with mayo is exceptional. It’s smoked bologna it should be out of this world.

Smoked bolo at Leo’s in OKC. Good stuff. Your cook looks great as well.

Comment

Sweet scores. Looks like your wide receiver went deep on every route. Burnt ends of ANY kind are always in demand!

Comment

• Obi-Dan
        Obi-Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I am the Run-N-Shoot of smoked bologna.

Too funny. After a similar experience I can hear your deli guy, "what? you want to buy the whole thing??" Great looking cook Obi-Dan

Comment

I love Bolagna... I gotta try this.
        Looks so good! Nice job!

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Make sure you post pics when you make it.

I grew up on fried bologna, ate it almost as much as PB&J. Thanks for the memories !!

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          I grew up more with fried spam. My dad loved spam.

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too. It would pucker in the middle, and one time I put it on my head and told mom it was a sombrero. That’s when I learned if I made her laugh hard enough I couldn’t get in trouble!

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          FishTalesNC That’s hilarious.

Fried bologna and onions with a hit of mustard.

Comment

Looks awesome. My wife’s family makes something called "ham salad" that doesn’t have a lick of ham in it - all bologna. I bet i could get serious brownie points with them if I pulled this off. Thanks!

Comment

• Obi-Dan
            Obi-Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. I make ham salad from time to time. Never heard of it with bologna. Go get those brownie points. They’ll come in handy when MCS strikes.

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            I almost prefer bologna salad to ham salad. Kind of a thought here. When I was a kid we called it baloney. We always made fun of the rich kids on tv who called it bologna.

I do this a lot and it’s always a big hit.

Comment

That looks very good. Next time, cut off about 1/2" or so of the flat end and sear it over hot coals for the best bologna sandwich you have ever had. You can add some grilled onions if that sounds good.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
              Obi-Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              I will try it.

We have a Amish butcher here, I usually take him a deer or two, he makes smoked venison bologna, it’s fantastic, never thought of buying it myself..... boars head is actually better than wonderbar?!?!? I doubt that highly, but in the past years I’ve come to love Oscar Mayer thick cut........

Comment

Wife and I were talking about this just today! I haven't seen a piece of bologna like that in any stores around here but then again I haven't really looked but I plan to now. I bet it's a great breakfast meat on the flat top!

Comment

Hard to go wrong with fried,smoked baloney, taters, an gravy.
                Traditional, ya know
                Sometimes, we even drizzled some maple syrup on it...

Comment

Jeez, I’d go looking for a store that HAD Boars Head. That stuff is da bomb.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
                    Obi-Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hear ya. But the price caught me off guard. I can get a brisket for less than what I paid for that.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here