Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite method for cooking brats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favorite method for cooking brats?

Bought some Italian style chicken parm brats at the farmers market. Been smoking brats lately. Wondering if I should braise them in beer or something instead.

Personally, I like to smoke brats like you would smoke sausage in Texas ..... just go nice and slow, lots of smoke, until 165 .... delish

Comment

• OSB
      OSB commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with ecowper on this one. I also love to reverse sear them as well.

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here... Sooooo good

I’ll be honest, Meatheads recipe for beer brats has become my favorite.

Bratwurst are the signature food of Wisconsin and here's the recipe for creating perfect Touchdown Tailgate Brats simmered in beer and then grilled. The beauty of this recipe is that you can make the sauce at home, chill everything, and then finish the brats at the game during your next tailgating adventure.

Comment

In a stock pot, put in several cut up onions (sliced in rings), 1 stick of butter and fill with beer ( Old Style or PBR). Put in Brats and bring to a simmer (don't boil) for about an hour. Cook on the cool side just enough to get grill marks and slightly brown then put back in the warm beer mixture to hold.

Comment

Here's a recipe I've used several times. Love it. Not a lot different than MH's recipe. It is missing a few thinly sliced onions, which I usually add.

​​​https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...nd-sauerkraut/

Comment

Originally posted by CRO View Post
          In a stock pot, put in several cut up onions (sliced in rings), 1 stick of butter and fill with beer ( Old Style or PBR). Put in Brats and bring to a simmer (don't boil) for about an hour. Cook on the cool side just enough to get grill marks and slightly brown then put back in the warm beer mixture to hold.
          This. I am a huge brat beer and onion guy. I like it with black and tan. I tend to do them on the grill in a disposable aluminium pan.

Comment

• CRO
            CRO commented
            Editing a comment
            I put them in a crock pot during our Sunday Packer games.

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            Also this. If you can get something like Maui or Imperial onions, even better. I usually do a pot of just onions with even more butter also.

That is a very excellent way to do it and not miss the game

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Go Pack go.

I installed a TV by the grill so I'm good to go.

I have always done them on the barbecue, but am planning to try Meathead ‘s beer brat recipe.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            you will never go back. save the hot dogs for the grill, the Italian sausage for the griddle, and the hot links for the smoker.

Just heat keep turning till just before they pop then let them cool a little bit so you don’t burn your mouth

Comment

If you're a fan of saurkraut and mustard, give J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's recipe a try, it's great. Process is similar to MH and others, has great flavor with the beer and whole grain mustard. I add onions...

http://www.seriouseats.com/amp/recip...ut-recipe.html

Comment

• Obi-Dan
              Obi-Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ll give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

I like to saute a chopped onion and a batch of sweet peppers in butter until everything is soft, then add a couple of bottles of good brown ale (Fat Tire here in Colorado) in which to braise the brats for 20 minutes or so. The brats get finished on the grill and the onion/pepper concoction (with a bit of salt and pepper added) is used as a topping.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m kinda liking your way !!

• W.A.
              W.A. commented
              Editing a comment
              My exact method

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              W.A. - Great minds!

I sous vide them at 135 for a couple hours or so until they are safe to eat at 135. Then ice bath chill and anytime from the next 3 minutes to next three days, fire up a chimney and blast them. I use skewers to avoid grill marks.
            Super juicy and an even crispy casing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1C029BEF-7C57-4ED2-A6BF-5C7E69B98FAE.png Views:	1 Size:	636.2 KB ID:	525150

Comment

Ya know the saying if "ya boil ribs" & the terrorist thing. Well if’n Ya put yer brats in water ya just might be a weenie. And ya know what happens to weenies.
              Early on ecowper said low & slow, coupled with OSB of searin is cookin it like John Wayne did in his movies, yeah! Then ya eat em.
              FireMan, from cheese & brat country, over & out.

Comment

If they are real brats, in a tub. If Italian sausage I like them just seared.

Comment

FireMan Here is the end result of what I'm talking about with Hot Italian Sausage. No split casing... Mission accomplished.

Click image for larger version  Name:	014.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	525206

Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	525207

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yup! Do brats that way here.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here