Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dog selection for the 4th of July.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog selection for the 4th of July.

Dear Pit

At our neighborhood gathering on July 4th my wife and i are doing a hot dog selection for our contribution. I will be making scratch dogs and sausage at home. My issue is that there are so many regional specialties I am not sure which ones to make. I was thinking of making 4 different types and the appropriate fixings. I am thinking variety but am not sure. my thoughts were:

1. Chicago dog (yes with steamed bun, bright green relish and smoked beef link)
    2. Polish boy
    3. Cincinnati chili dog
    4. Sonora dog

its variety but all about the mid west and we are in SoCal. Honestly i am at a loss, do i make more? More sausage? buy the dogs and just make fat sausages. i think we are expecting about 30 adults and a couple wagon loads of kids.

i dont know anymore. What are your thoughts? one neighbor is doing something Italian, another is doing a nachos/taco bar and another is doing Vietnamese. (Yum!) plus other neighbors. i was thinking that not everyone gets one (each) type given all the food. i was considering a vegan dog too, but then....... no.

I will leave you with my perplexed and confused thinking face.

I thought this was a good idea for hot dogs but I am almost over it.

Sincerely,
    Over it in Huntington Beach

Click image for larger version  Name:	3-3-2017 Swing 3 - Range.JPG Views:	2 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	326658

Test post

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      got it

I think the four you listed are golden! Given the variety of food that you have coming in I believe you will be a hit. Since you are in So Cal you can also offer not only the normal options - I would make up a good fresh batch of pico de gallo to go on top for those who chose.

Comment

That sounds great, but at the same time, not everyone, (anyone), will eat 4 dogs to sample the variety. You might dress the dogs and then cut in halves, thirds, or quarters. Smoked chuckies could also be a good idea. Just put out some slider buns and some grilled onions. Maybe have a sauce or two for those who would like some, and any other dressings you would like. That would be easier but still very tasty.

Comment

Not a hotdog person myself, but my wife loves then. More course grind for my sausages, please.

That said, my wife's favorite is beef dog with sauerkraut.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Second the sauerkraut - maybe for the Polish Boy? Try making your own - you have time.

Your call, I think they sound fine. If you are debating whether this is enough variety, I'd consider changing the type of sausage rather than the fixings. One hot dog, one Polish, one Mexican chorizo, you get the idea.

Comment

Sometimes, you remember a post from a long, long time ago. It left an impression with me...

I decided that I wanted to smoke something tonight. Raiding the fridge, I noticed I was out of meat. Except for some Ball Park beef franks .... hmmm.

Do something completely out of the ordinary and over the top. Give it a good story on how you prepped it and name your dog. Spiral, spritz, smoke, with rub. Go even further over the top. Let me know if you win anything. I'll take my cut 😃

Comment

The Cincinnati cheese coney would be my personal preference, but it's kind of a unique style. If that's the goal, go for it.

Comment

Thanks for bringing up that post, scottranda . I remembered that experiment, and was glad to read about it again.

Dear Over It In Huntington Beach,

I think a hot dog tasting stand is a great idea for the 4th. I also think RonB has a good thought about making a tasting platter for folks to try some of the non-standard dog offerings. Then they could make their own from the winner of their own tasting. It sounds like a fun idea, HouseHomey .

Kathryn

Comment

scottranda and fzxdoc that kinda summed me up. My wife is right (please dont tell her) I am being ridiculous. I was up way early thinking about it. kmhfive i was thinking sauerkraut but it takes 10 weeks and im not allowed to ferment it in the house anymore. RonB Brilliant! cut up samples with toothpick to avoid waste. Thank you all. A good problem to have I guess. It was my perspective that was off, that happens to me when I feed people, i want it to be fantastic. We are very fortunate and live in a great country. im generally not this wishy washy but the possibilities were endless.
                Thank you for your time.

Comment

I love Chicago style dogs, but unfortunately, can never find poppy seed buns!

Comment

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like an opportunity

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was wondering about that. I was hoping the "internet of things" would help me there. Gee.... if only one lived next door to Breadhead.

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I never baked bread until I was almost 60 years old. Now... I can whip out some pretty kickass poppy seed hotdog buns. I have no clue how or why I needed to figure out how to become a pretty good bread maker...😏 Stuff just happens.

When I was a young kid, there was a great hot dog joint (Pages in Niagara Falls) that made something called the "Whistle Pig". It was a hot dog, wrapped in bacon, I think it was quick deep fried and served in a steamed bun with cheese sauce drizzled all over it. The best part was the various additional toppings. Sauerkraut, relish, horseradish mustard, chopped onions,etc. Believe it or not, my favorite was peanut butter which melted in nicely. I also remember honey that went great with the flavor combinations.
                  The fun is not only bacon and cheese but the variety of toppings.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for that. I have a different attitude now and I'm dialing it in. Inmy talking to everyone it seems that quality meat (beef and pork) and variety of toppings is winning.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here