Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage crazy

I've gone nuts. Finally going to make sausage! Something I have always wanted to try but just have way too many hobbies these days. Got my LEM #8 in the mail today, and spent the morning on Sausagemaker ordering some spices. Wish me luck!

Sausage making has always appealed to me, but the main reason I am doing it now is the fact that I just can not find good sausage that I really (really) like anymore. Seems it is all way over the top with everything. Living down here close to sausage making country, I still find that there is no sausage I really get mowed over with.

So the #8 should be plenty big enough for Moonbeam and I. This is all still pretty scary for me so I just ordered some premix spices this first go around.

I went through an extended bratwurst-making period many moons ago. The results were fantastic ... but wrestling with casings ... not so much. I'v been thinking about getting back into the game ... same stuffings but patties this time ... no casings. I predict you'll have a blast ...

Comment

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, Im thinking I'll be doing more steakhouse burgers and breakfast patties than anything. But I am sure I will go off the deep end like I do with everything myself! Ordered some casings from DeWied's. Hope I did good I have no idea.

lonnie mac I hope you have a great time making and eating your sausage and be sure to post some pics! When I was a little guy my grandfather made sausage (patties) and I don't know all his ingredients but I remember the strong smell of the sage he used.

Comment

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, I do too. I am sure my grand dad didn't use much because he didn't have much to use. Back then mostly everything from the farm was fresh, and possibly some salt and pepper. Not much spices but I am sure he used something.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly.

It's the end results that count. My aunt made the best breakfast sausage. She used a mix, but doctored it to suit her family. Unfortunately, that mix is no longer available. I have found a very close substitute made by A.C. Legg Inc. Actually, I buy both the mild and hot and mix them 50/50. The hot is too hot for breakfast - I like to wake up naturally - not with the first bite of sausage.

This is the link through AR.

Comment

I am thinking about getting into making my own sausage ... would love to make my own. Pretty sure that will happen, at some point. Meanwhile, can't wait to see what you are doing Lonnie mac

Comment

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Y'all! Yea ecopwer, don't wait 53 years like I did man! I hope to post up some pics and cooks.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
      It's the end results that count. My aunt made the best breakfast sausage. She used a mix, but doctored it to suit her family. Unfortunately, that mix is no longer available. I have found a very close substitute made by A.C. Legg Inc. Actually, I buy both the mild and hot and mix them 50/50. The hot is too hot for breakfast - I like to wake up naturally - not with the first bite of sausage.

This is the link through AR.
      I agree man. I think that has been my issue. All the great sausage around my parts but I can't get that taste the ole grand dad use to make. I am sure it is a blend of everything, or mostly nothing. It's going to be fun trying to figure it all out. Most of our sausage at least to me around here is way over the top. But I am sure that is just my old taste buds wanting something more simple.

Comment

Yea! Yea, it's sitting in my pub. Sorry it's so cluttered, but it's my pub! Got the LEM #8, a 5 LB stuffer and all the goodies. The LEM seems dang dang well built. I was impressed. Let y'all know how it goes. Sausage time.

Comment

LONNIE MAC inventor of Brutus??? I built, then sold mine, but greatly enjoyed using it. I recall the article and thinking I'd never build something that insane, and a year after I started the build. I now have an indoor electric system.

But I digress...

ive been making some sausages as well. I really want to get into the dry cured stuff and have a work in progress on a dry cure chamber.

Casings are not much fun working with at first. Getting high quality casings seems hit or miss. Where are others buying their casings? if you can find pre tubed casings, that will be a nice way to go since it solves half the battle. Collagen casings are also much easier to work with, though I found that for meat snacks,I must've screwed them up because they slip off the snacks too easily, but could be because I froze them or didn't properly dry them or something. Now I slit them and slide them off before eating. A properly stuff natural casing with the snap when you bite into it is great! So far I've not done a ton of sausages, but time is always lacking. Hot dogs take time to do but were really good.

i think you can get the pre tubed at LEM. Fibrous casings are also very easy to work with but inedible.

how did the first batch of sausage turn out?

TD

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here