Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ooooohhh The Smell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooooohhh The Smell!

I watched Mark Lambert and Malcom Reed last night do up an herb chicken. Dang had to take a break from painting and give this one a go! Gawsh the smell is INCREDIBLE. One small chunk of peach wood, and a fist full of herbs on the coals to. This is a LOT of herbs and dang near broke the bank. Another hint, throw some bayleaf on the coals too. Mind-blowing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	495050

".....it’s the smell of us around youuuu!"

yea I saw that same video. Tell us how it turns out, may try myself!!!!

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you mean "The smell of death surrounds you"?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea that's the real lyrics but I like mine better

Smoking some herb?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Icu, ec

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Brother Bones

Can I jus use th herb I already have...???
    Still tastes fine to me?
    Nah, seriously Brotha, I welcome yer idea, an link! Inspirin, gives me some ideals!

Comment

WooHoo looking delish!

Name:	IMG_1682.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	495074

Heres the vid. I am starving!

Comment

Oh too, and in honor of Cinco De Mayo I made the Alabama white sauce with Dukes. Dang dang good too!

Comment

Looking mighty fine Lonnie

Comment

So I’m curious did it just smell good or does it truly impart some taste too?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Great question! (I had the same thought... ). Wife always grows more herbs in the garden than I can ever use but is this approach worth the effort???

HorseDoctor, Nate Brothers, let me be as objective as possible. I do realize that one who cooks a 5 pound, 5 dollar chicken on top of 40 dollars worth of herbs will get "sensory overload" while cooking! And OMG, the smell is mind blowing! The carryover smoke from all the herbs roasting does indeed bleed deep into the meat. But with a WAY better (very mild) flavor than I thought it would! First, the Moonbeam actually can't STAND Christmas tree flavors. Rosemary, and Thyme truly offends her to the point of literal divorce. There is a standard divorce order that lives on our bedroom dresser. It will be issued if at any time I were to buy these two ingredients. But all the flavors of the smoking herbs together created something that I had never expected. Something new. I could not pin point (nor her) a single herb that stood out. Together, the Rosemary, thyme, chives, parsley, basil, sage, green onions, oregano, all up in smoke, made something new. And it's a keeper. She wants this one on the short list.

Name:	IMG_1684.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	495158

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Lonnie, that looks f’ing outstanding. Put it on my list of things to do to chicken .... like tomorrow

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang, Brother! That there yardbird looks dang dang effin fantastic, sounds even better, an I ain't a big 'herbs' guy, like dat!
              Best to y'all, an Moonbeam, down Bacliff way!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Steep price to pay for the herbs but got me wanting to try as well brother !! Great looking color and skin. You get that at 350* ? No char whatsoever...nice !!!

Awesome Lonnie! This is a great cook! Are you kidding me with those herbs? I bet that smelled incredible. But as you said, it all came together to make something new. Incredible. Great write up too.

Comment

I'm glad it turned out great Lonnie.But with all those high dollar herbs, maybe you should be usin' an SRF chicken. Just sayin...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                While I'm by no means an expert, I'd haveta venture a guess that is at least 100% better than "Water Dried", Brother lonnie mac

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha! I am sure you are correct brother Bones!

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Air dried means just that. Most chickens are cooled in ice water. That adds to the possibility of contamination and adds water weight too. To me, air dried or air chilled chickens are worth the price.

Silly FireBoard Drive. I forgot to turn it off. Still holding set point at 350. Winner winner chicken dinner. Last time I let it go for 48 hours... This is what small vent settings look like to my friends that are wondering.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 9.53.27 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	143.1 KB ID:	495229

Comment

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                The good ole WSCGC brother!

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Where is your fan port? did you go through the insulated wall or top vent?

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                The WSCGC has a built in port. It is right below the propane bottle area next to the gas inlet tube. Dang perfect!

Living in TX, you should be able to easily grow bay, thyme, and rosemary and have them available year 'round. Look for Laurus nobilus (bay) at the nursery. There are many varieties of rosemary (R officinalis)--Tuscan Blue and Blue Spires are two. The bay will grow into a a good sized tree and the rosemary is a nice "bush" (can be used as a hedge) that, once established will "never" die. Thyme will also produce year 'round--the basic culinary thyme is called "English" or "German" and some others. It's a low growing perennial. I'm sure Moonbeam already grows the annuals such as oregano and basil. Trader Joe's is an excellent place to buy live basil if not.

You've got me hankerin' to try this!
              Last edited by Willy; May 9, 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Plus, the twigs and branches of the bay tree are FANTASTIC for smoking shrimp or lobster.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice thought but we have freezes here, mild in comparison to up north but still enough to kill off herb plants. We have to re-sow every year. A large bay or rosemary if protected would survive but I use the stuff faster than it will grow !!!

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman. Where I live we get to the low to mid 20°F a number of days each winter. My bay, rosemary, and thyme just sail right through.

Did this tonight on the Hasty-Bake ..... just about ready to pull the chicken in the house and carve! the smell is amazing.

Comment

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here