Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

I Am Baker, Hear Me Roar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Willy
    Charter Member
    • Apr 2015
    • High Desert of the Great Southwest

Huskee , Breadhead , HawkerXP All good suggestions, but the name has to really ring in my soul. LOL

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Aretha

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Hercules...

Definition of Hercules
      : a mythical Greek hero renowned for his great strength and especially for performing 12 labors imposed on him by Hera.
  • Willy
    Charter Member
    • Apr 2015

Breadhead First, I've temporarily settled on "Vinnie" as a name for my starter--as in vinegar, as in acetic acid. Second, I LOVE the SS bowl idea. I'm gonna go to Ace and pick up a metal cabinet pull, then drill a hole through the bowl top, screw on the pull, and use it as an easy handle.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought Aretha would "ring in the soul", Lol. Vinnie it is.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy ... Great idea on the cabinet pull for the top. I might steal your idea.😎 Vinnie it is.! Vinnie will be much happier now that he has a name.👍
  • Willy
    Charter Member
    • Apr 2015

Huskee LOL

Comment

• ecowper
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Maple Valley, WA
      • Grill = Hasty-Bake Gourmet Dual Finish
        Smoke = Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"

Thermometer = FireBoard FBX11 with 2 ambient and 6 meat probes
        Thermometer = Maverick ET732
        Thermometer = ThermoWorks Chef Alarm
        Thermapen Mk IV = Light blue
        Thermapen Classic = Grey
        PID Controller = Fireboard Drive + Auber 20 CFM Fan

Favorite cook = Tri-Tip for the grill, whole packer brisket for the smoker
        Favorite wine = a good Bordeaux with steak, a good Syrah with pork, or a nice bottle of Champagne or California sparkling wine
        Favorite beer = Sam Adams Boston Lager or Shiner Bock
        Favorite whisky = Lagavulin 16 year old single malt

Best Cookbooks - Meathead's "The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling", Chris Lilly's "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book", Aaron Franklin's "Franklin BBQ"

Eric Cowperthwaite aka ecowper

Willy ... maybe you should name your starter Helen Reddy
      Last edited by ecowper; September 1st, 2016, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Couldn't help myself
    • Willy
      Charter Member
      • Apr 2015

Breadhead Steal away--I'm glad to be able to pay back a small portion of the debt I owe you. Thank YOU for the SS bowl idea--the discoloration done to my Le Crueset DO by 500°F is disturbing--especially to my wife.

Vinnie is quite happy, best I can tell. Btw, I am thinking that once a starter is really vigorous--and Vinnie is vigorous--the float test becomes somewhat irrelevant. I note that Vinnie can float or fail depending on the length of time since his last feeding, but he always responds vigorously to his daily feeding.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        You have NO debt... I like helping people learn to bake bread.👍

I can eyeball my starter to tell if it's active enough to use, but I ALWAYS do the float test too.😉
    • Willy
      Charter Member
      • Apr 2015

Breadhead So, I have split my starter and now have Vinnie and Vinnie Junior. Jr. is going into the fridge. What is likely the minimum time I can leave him without feeding? I think I have a fair feel for his appearance now and will likely figure it out on my own, but advice from a pro is always something I seek out if possible. I do remember Chef Jacob talking about very long term storage and I will re-listen to his podcast when I want to do that, but, for now, I'd just like do cold storage to minimize waste. Until I am confident of Jr.'s success, Vinnie Sr. will be getting fed daily and will yield 500 grams for my second loaf later today.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I would feed Vinnie Jr every 5 days. If you're going out of town it can go longer but every 5 days is best.
    • Willy
      Charter Member
      • Apr 2015

Breadhead It seems my claim to be a "baker"--or a roaring @@@@@--is losing validity. My third loaf, which I just finished today, has MUCH less sourness to it--this is also obvious in the starter itself, which smells and tastes much less tangy than it did for for first few weeks. I have changed nothing--still feeding 50/50 WW and bread flour. Any thoughts? Also, today's loaf didn't take well to the lame--not cutting evenly at all. More like skipping/ tearing through the surface, plus the holes in the crumb were smaller. The razor was brand new, so I don't THINK it was the problem regarding tearing. Vinnie is hyperactive; he actually oozed his way upstairs a few days ago demanding to fed at 2 AM. (LOL) Any thoughts?

Another comment--I just stumbled on your brioche burger bun recipe and I will make it soon. Any recommendations for a good, soft hoagie roll recipe? The ultimate cheese steak lies just around the corner...

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Atalanta Thanks for the tip! Provolone or Cheez Whiz? Onions? Rib eye, I'm sure?

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        Believe it or not, it's whiz. Fried onions most definitely, though without is ok. So ordering it would be, "whiz wit" or "whiz witout." American is an ok substitute. Beef sliced super thin and fried to at least crispy on the edges.

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Atalanta I believe it--I like whiz, too. David Rosengarten wrote a cookbook called "It's All American Food" and his recipe calls for CW. He even says he likes catsup on it! If you can find the book, it's absolutely worth owning.
    • Breadhead
      Banned Former Member
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Willy View Post
      Breadhead It seems my claim to be a "baker"--or a roaring @@@@@--is losing validity. My third loaf, which I just finished today, has MUCH less sourness to it--this is also obvious in the starter itself, which smells and tastes much less tangy than it did for for first few weeks. I have changed nothing--still feeding 50/50 WW and bread flour. Any thoughts? Also, today's loaf didn't take well to the lame--not cutting evenly at all. More like skipping/ tearing through the surface, plus the holes in the crumb were smaller. The razor was brand new, so I don't THINK it was the problem regarding tearing. Vinnie is hyperactive; he actually oozed his way upstairs a few days ago demanding to fed at 2 AM. (LOL) Any thoughts?

Another comment--I just stumbled on your brioche burger bun recipe and I will make it soon. Any recommendations for a good, soft hoagie roll recipe? The ultimate cheese steak lies just around the corner...
      Willy ... There's a lot happening inside your starter that is causing the variations you are experiencing. This podcast will inform you about how and why all of that is happening and how you can manipulate your starter at will. https://stellaculinary.com/scs22

lame not docking/scoring properly... The more tension you have on your dough at the final shaping and tension tugs stage will give your dough a tighter more firm skin on the boule when you take it out of the banneton after final proofing. That loaf is easier to score. If your loaf is loose, it is more difficult to score.

"Plus the holes in the crumb were smaller" We call that a dense loaf, usually caused by improper final shaping and not enough tension on your dough. That will limit the oven spring which gives you a dense loaf.

lock your bedroom door.😆 Vinnie should learn to stay in his place.😎 If he is really active feed him twice per day. That will keep him happy.

The Brioche dough we use for hamburger buns will make a great hoagie roll too. The shaping of that dough into a hoagie roll takes some practice but it can be done. Also you can use this sourdough recipe to make hoagie rolls. Normally you want to increase the hydration percentage up to 70/75% to create a softer crumb though.

I would recommend you listen to the entire podcast because you will learn a lot. The section oh your starter begins at the 15 minute mark and runs for about 20 minutes. Listen to the rest of the podcast after that and it might help you tighten up your final shaping too.

For the uber sourdough geek who wants to take their knowledge of their sourdough starter even further, I would highly recommend the following article:

Comment

• Willy
      Charter Member
      • Apr 2015

Breadhead Thanks. I have actually listened to Chef Jacob's bread podcasts (all four of them) several times, plus watched the SD video several times, and I am grasping principles. I've also read Wink's article a couple of times. I have quite a bit of geek (engineer) in me--LOL. What really puzzled me is how the character of my starter changed from sour to not so sour in the space of a couple of days, with no other change that I can think of.

I have come up with a way to mimic SF in the high desert of AZ. I place a half gallon of ice (in a milk carton) in a cooler and swap it out every day. The temp stays around 60°F. Vinnie doesn't whine nearly as much about being fed and, as I understand it, he should produce a more sour flavor in the cooler temps. I had to mess with two different sized coolers- a smaller one dropped into the mid 50°F range. Larger cooler, more heat loss for the same amount of ice.

The lack of adequate tension in the skin of the loaf makes sense with what I experienced when the razor tore instead of cut cleanly.

Why does shaping the brioche into a sub roll instead of a boule take practice?

Thanks again for your time and advice!

Comment

• Breadhead
        Banned Former Member
        • Jul 2014

Willy ...

"I have come up with a way to mimic SF in the high desert of AZ. I place a half gallon of ice (in a milk carton) in a cooler and swap it out every day. The temp stays around 60°F. Vinnie doesn't whine nearly as much about being fed and, as I understand it, he should produce a more sour flavor in the cooler temps. I had to mess with two different sized coolers- a smaller one dropped into the mid 50°F range. Larger cooler, more heat loss for the same amount of ice."

hmmm... I think you took Chef Jacob's analogy of what makes San Francisco sourdough bread unique and very acidic to an extreme. Pay more attention to the type of flour they use. I would use your refrigerator at 36/38° to slow it down even more, which will product more acidic acid. Your cooler method it to much work... IMHO.

"What really puzzled me is how the character of my starter changed from sour to not so sour in the space of a couple of days, with no other change that I can think of."

It's all science... Lactic acid VS acidic acid. Your starter originally produced more Acidic acid and less lactic acid. Listen to the podcast again. Chef Jacob explains how that works very clearly.

Watch the video again for final shaping and tension pulls. I personally apply more tension on the tension pulls than Chef Jacob does in his video. I want my dough so TIGHT I'm worried I'm going to tear the outer skin open. Be aggressive on your tension pulls. That will give you more oven spring and a more open and airy crumb.
        Last edited by Breadhead; September 10th, 2016, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• RonB
          Club Member
          • Apr 2016
          • Near Richmond VA
          • Weber Performer Deluxe
            SNS
            Pizza insert
            Rotisserie
            Smokenator 1000
            Cookshack Smokette Elite
            2 Thermapens
            Chefalarm
            Dot
            lots of probes.
            CyberQ

Willy - there are lots of videos online on how to make different shapes with your dough. The "problem" with shaping a torpedo, (or sub roll, or batard - all are similar) is that it's a little trickier getting the shapes right, but it just takes practice. Here is a good video on shaping dough for different shapes. I suggest you go to youtube and search for shaping videos - there are a ton. You will find one - maybe more, that work for you.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes... YouTube has great videos on shaping all shapes of bread. The higher hydration doughs can be difficult though. Try shaping a 95% hydration ciabatta bread.😁
        • Willy
          Charter Member
          • Apr 2015

Breadhead Thanks again for your comments. I think I am doing a poor job of communicating. I do understand that cooler temps yield a more sour taste; that's why I started SF in AZ in the cooler, which, by the way, is really no extra work at all. I hope to give more advantage to the acetic acid bugs and less to the lactic acid ones. I also have Vinnie Jr. in the fridge, though I haven't done anything with him yet beyond feedings. I guess my question should have been: Have you ever had a starter change character--go from sour to "sweet"--in the space of a couple of days, with all else remaining constant--room temp storage (mid-70°F range) and constant, identical feeding schedule and ingredients?

Vinnie has been unusual I believe--perhaps I was lucky enough to "give birth" (LOL) to him during our rainy season when maybe lots of LAB and wild yeasts were present. At any rate, he never stalled and he turned sour quickly even in my relatively high temps. The one difficulty I had, which in retrospect I don't believe was a real difficulty, was passing the float test. I am now pretty certain that waiting an entire day to do the FT meant that Vinnie has given his all and decided to nap until meal time.

Thanks for the comments about the importance of tension pulls. The loaf that didn't cut well I had accidentally floured the bottom of before doing the pulls--natch it wasn't sticky enough to give a good pull.

Finally, in addition to my sincere gratitude for your help, I must also curse you and Chef Jacob (LOL). I now own a banneton--with liner--, a lame, made a visit to our local Neapolitan-style pizza place to buy flour (successfully), and just received today my copy of Reinhart's "Crust and Crumb". More to follow, no doubt. Bread is as addictive as BBQ.
          Last edited by Willy; September 11th, 2016, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            Club Member
            • Sep 2015
            • Colorado
            • > Weber Genesis EP-330
              > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
              > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
              > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
              > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
              to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
              > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
              > Thermoworks Smoke
              > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
              > Thermoworks Thermapen
              > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
              > Anova sous vide circulator
              > Searzall torch
              > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

> Favorite Beer: Guinness Extra Stout, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam, or Alaskan Amber
              > Favorite Wine: Klinker Brick Old Ghost Zinfandel or Matetic Corralillo Winemaker's Blend
              > Favorite Whiskey: Balvenie Double Wood Scotch or Jameson Irish

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            Have you ever had a starter change character--go from sour to "sweet"--in the space of a couple of days, with all else remaining constant--room temp storage (mid-70°F range) and constant, identical feeding schedule and ingredients?
            I have ... but a little extra whole wheat in the poolish followed by a few days back into the fridge brought back just enough of the sour ... then back out onto the counter before the sour became too pronounced.

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds to me like you are a pretty good bread baker, too?
          • Breadhead
            Banned Former Member
            • Jul 2014

Willy

You have "MBMBS"... Must Bake More Bread Syndrome. The good thing about MBMBS is it's much less expensive than MCS.👍 A bag of flour VS a brisket, you win.👍 Plus you can make bread while your smoker is doing its thing.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              Club Member
              • Sep 2015
              • Colorado
              • > Weber Genesis EP-330
                > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
                > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
                > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
                > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
                to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
                > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
                > Thermoworks Smoke
                > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
                > Thermoworks Thermapen
                > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
                > Anova sous vide circulator
                > Searzall torch
                > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

> Favorite Beer: Guinness Extra Stout, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam, or Alaskan Amber
                > Favorite Wine: Klinker Brick Old Ghost Zinfandel or Matetic Corralillo Winemaker's Blend
                > Favorite Whiskey: Balvenie Double Wood Scotch or Jameson Irish

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
              Willy

You have "MBMBS"... Must Bake More Bread Syndrome. The good thing about MBMBS is it's much less expensive than MCS.👍 A bag of flour VS a brisket, you win.👍 Plus you can make bread while your smoker is doing its thing.
              Willy isn't alone. I just took delivery of my second banneton and extra blades for the lame. The wife thought I was insane when I got started (hooked, really) a few months ago. Now she pesters me for details like "when's the next loaf???" and today had me on the phone with one of her sisters to tell her all about making artisan sourdough. Among other things, I pointed her to StellaCulinary.com as a great starting point (she's not a smoker or griller or I would have suggested AR, too).

BTW, we might need to change the MBMBS acronym to something else. My initials are MBM ... and we all know what BS stands for ... ...

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                My last name starts with an "S"--change "Willy" to "Bill" and what have you got? LOL

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
            See more
            See less
            Working...
            X
            Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
            Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
            This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only $299 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. Don't accept cheap substitutes.  Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal .

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order