Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Tri-Tip

I make a California-style tri-tip. Southwestern (i.e. cumin, oregano, etc.) seasoning, leave fat on, grill on high to crisp the fat, then grill on indirect medium to about 135. Then serve it with pico de gallo. My wife likes it, so do I.

I think I want to smoke the tri-tip first, then grill it, kind of like a reverse sear. Anybody have experience with this?

I always reverse sear my tri-tips. They come out amazing. Rub with Santa Maria seasoning.
    Attached Files

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Where do you get the tri-tip in our area?

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      #scottyc13 I get them from Porter Road but Wegmans carries them as well

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

That’s what mine look like too. We don’t have enough patience either to let it rest long enough so the juices redistribute.

Comment

I don’t reverse sear. I front sear, get the caramelization I want, then move it over indirect and bring it up to temp. I also mop mine while it’s searing. Family favorite. Never tried smoking. Love to hear how it comes out.

Comment

I always reverse sear my tri tips. Turns out great.

Comment

I am curious, would someone please explain what is so special about a tri-tip. It comes from an area that is always working. The flank and the round. It has no intra-muscular fat. Until the 1950 & 1960's it was ground up for hamburger. It was not until 1964 that the first recorded sale in a meat market took place. Even now it is confined to California and slowly making its way east. I talked to my local butcher and 80% of the time he grinds it up, there is just not the demand to separate it from the lower round where burger meat comes from.

Well thanks for any insight you can give me.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey @@ScottyC13 you remember that nice fat cap that you have toke off, it will probably come out 70/30.LOL.

• btuckertx
            btuckertx commented
            Editing a comment
            IMHO, it has enough marbling to be fairly tender, and it tastes really meaty - which sounds like an oxymoron, but isn't. Especially important in our house, when the middle is 135, the ends are medium, which suits my wife.
            Last edited by btuckertx; September 28, 2019, 04:38 PM.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            It has a good "meaty" taste.
            Just make sure to cut it correctly or it can be a bit tough.

Always reverse sear. One of my favorite cuts of meat.

Comment

+1 for reverse sear. There’s a great thread (I’ll find it) on reverse searing a tri-tip. The seasoning is spot on and the mop is over the top.

Comment

Tri tip can be dry and tough if overcooked. But cooked with care, it has a wonderful beefy flavor and juicy texture. Even though the meat can be on the chewy side, it's not full of stringy bits that are objectionable to swallow.

My absolute favorite way to eat tri tip is sliced thin and stacked high for roast beef sandwiches. I was not a fan of roast beef sandwiches until I started cooking tri tip.

I usually smoke and slow indirect cook my tri tips to about 110F / 45C and then sear to the desired internal temp. I normally shoot for the rare side of medium rare -- 130F is ideal, 135F is getting on the edge of too done for my preference.

I normally get tri tips in the 1.5 to 2.5 pound range. That's enough for 4 modest dinner servings with a nice choice of sides. I'd cook 2 tri tips in that size range for 4 bigger appetites with maybe some left overs to hide away for sandwiches.

Comment

• btuckertx
              btuckertx commented
              Editing a comment
              Just the input I'm looking for on the smoking side. I usually grill a 2.5 to 3# tri-tip. The one I have is almost 4#, so I'm thinking I'll freeze half, and smoke the other.

It's the go to beef protein for our house. Tri tip, sometimes packaged as bottom sirloin, is excellent either reversed seared SVQ'd or QVQ'd. My choice of smoke is red oak with BBBR as the rub. Prime was sometimes difficult to find so I would pick up choice. In all honesty, I struggled to notice the difference. Highly recommended.

Comment

Totally frustrated by the search function today, so I’m tagging onto the thread with a question about tri-tips. Troutman , what is the link to your tri-tip recipe?

Comment

btuckertx as others have pointed out you can treat it like a roast. Smoke it indirect until it temps internally to about 115* (if you are shooting for rare, higher if not), then use the cold grate reverse sear technique to finish it off. I don't like to let mine get above 122*. Also as mentioned they tend to dry out rather quickly if over cooked, but you probably already know that.

mountainsmoker again to correct you, it is a part of the bottom sirloin (not the flank or round) and makes up what would essentially be part of the knee cap muscle group. It is often cut into chili meat or ground into burger but if grilled or smoked properly it is very tender, full of juice and has an intense beefy flavor. It's one of my personal favorite cuts on the cow.

As for no intramuscular fat, I'm sorry but this one is an example of what Costco sells here in Htown on a fairly regular basis. You need to find a better butcher.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	tritip02.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	748729
              Click image for larger version

Name:	tritip04.jpg
Views:	1265
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	748730

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                Holy cow that is a beautiful cut. What marbling!

I would love to hear how your tri-tip came out. I just smoked one two weeks ago. Smoke on front end and grill on the back end. Yes to turned out like the one pictured. Only difference, I put mine on our slicer and went with thin slices. Unbelievably good. For rub I used Salt, Pepper and Garlic and Three Little Pigs Memphis.

Comment

• btuckertx
                btuckertx commented
                Editing a comment
                Will do. Weather permitting, it will be tomorrow.

The only thing I can add is to try one over an open oak wood fire Santa Maria style.

Comment

Reverse sear is the best on tri-tip. I’ve done it in the smoker, but usually just use a 2-zone setup on my charcoal grill since it doesn’t take very long (couple hours max). As CaptainMike mentioned, bonus points for cooking it over an oak fire. Medium Rare.

As for seasonings, traditional Santa Maria style is salt, pepper, and garlic.

Slice thin against the grain and it’s a tender and delicious cut. Slice it with the grain and your jaw will wear out trying to chew it. Highly recommended cut!

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We have a local deli that makes great TT sandwiches for lunch on Fridays and Saturdays. Every now and then they slice it with the grain and it's like eating really tasty leather.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here