Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homage to the California Tri-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homage to the California Tri-tip

Next to Picanha, the tri-tip roast or steak is probably my favorite cut of non-rib beef. A California favorite since the 1950's, it traces its origins back to the Santa Maria valley in the central part of the state. From all accounts it was popularized in a Long Beach restaurant called Jack's Corsican Room where it was roasted in a red wine sauce. For those who have not tried tri-tip, it has a distinctive beefy flavor and texture unlike any other cut, especially from the sirloin. They can be sourced at most Costcos; we get the 2-3# prime ones there on a regular basis.

So it's that classic wine marinated tri-tip recipe that I want to pay homage to. It's a relatively easy recipe but the outcome is absolutely delicious. In fact it may be the way I cook it on a regular basis. So let's get to cookin' a tri-tip....

Course: Dinner
    Cuisine: American
    Takes: 30 minutes prep, 2-24 hours marinating, ~20 minute cook

Ingredients

2-3# Prime Tri-tip
    2 cups Red Wine. I prefer a bold California Pinot or Cabernet, but lighter varietals work just as well
    2 cups low sodium beef stock
    1/3 cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 large shallot fine chopped
    1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
    1 tablespoon your favorite tri-tip seasoning
    1 tablespoon course black pepper
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    3 tablespoons butter for sauteing and sauce
    1 tablespoon olive oil for sauteing

Method:

For the marinade:
    1. Saute the shallot and garlic in a pan with a tablespoon each of butter and oil until soft.
    2. Add salt and pepper to the tri-tip. Return to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to dry brine.
    3. After the salt brine, place the tri-tip in a large Ziplock bag. Pour in the wine, beef stock, worcestershire, vinegar along with the sautéed shallot, garlic, and rosemary.
    4. Seal the bag and return to the refrigerator. Marinade for a minimum of 2 hours but as long as overnight. Since I was using a bold wine, I opted for 3 hours which was perfect. The meat took on a great flavor without being overwhelming. Too long, and the marinade will tend to make the meat proteins mushy. You want to taste the beef with a hint of wine in the background.
    For the grilling:
    1. Remove the tri-tip from the marinade and reserve about half for a sauce. Pat dry with a paper towel.
    2. Season the tri-tip with a classic tri-tip seasoning; I used Oakridge Carne Crosta coffee based for mine.
    3. Fire up your Santa Maria grill or a Weber Kettle. You want a hot fire so in my kettle I went with indirect and a full chimney of charcoal into my SNS. Use 1-2 chunks of oak or some oak splits in your SM grill.
    4. Place the roast on the indirect side and cook until the internal temperature hits between 112-115*F. Monitor your temps with a good thermo device if not using probes. Do not overshoot this temperature.
    5. Reverse sear using some avocado or other high temp oil after each flip. Sear for 30 seconds to 1 minute per side until a good char begins to develop. Check your temps, your roast is done when the internals hit about 125-128* for medium rare. Longer for medium but I do not recommend tri-tip cooked to anything but medium rare.
    6. Allow the roast to rest on your cutting board for at least 15 minutes. Tri-tips are very juicy and you need to let the proteins relax and ramp down to capture that juice. Your final temps should ideally be 130-132*F.
    7. Carving can be tricky. The tri-tip muscle runs in two directions, the junction of the two is usually at the V portion of the roast. Always be sure to cut against the grain of each portion.
    For the sauce:
    1. Strain the reserved marinade into a bowl.
    2. Add marinade to a pan and crank up the heat bringing it to a slow boil.
    3. Taste it and add salt and pepper if desired.
    4. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the Dijon mustard.
    5. Whisk to emulsify, then reduce by about half until thickened

Plate you sliced tri-tip with the pairings of your choice. Drizzle the desired amount of sauce onto the meat. In my case I added a hasselback baked potato, some grilled broccoli and queso-chicken sausage to round out my plate.

Enjoy this California inspired cut of meat in a classic red wine sauce. Simple to make but rich and bold in flavor!! Troutman hopes you enjoy this steak classic !!

Click image for larger version  Name:	tritip01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.09 MB ID:	734975
    Last edited by Troutman; August 29, 2019, 02:44 PM.

Love a tri-tip. I usually just reverse shear and offer sauces on side. This sounds very good and I will try it. Thank you

Comment

Thanks Troutman Don't get many tri-tips here but it sounds like a good thing to use and do on top sirloin or any lower level roast.

Comment

Stunning and am sure tasted just as good.
        I only have one gripe.... the brats didn't get a mention.

Comment

Thanks Troutman it looks right up my alley and delicious. Going to shoot for a next weekend.

Comment

Looks great, I'll try this the next time I get a tri-tip

Comment

What, no beans and garlic bread? Looks great Troutman!

Comment

Beautiful shot! It looks awesome and I can't wait to try it.

Comment

Is that green stuff on there for colorful contrast !
                  I could eat my way up the center of the plate nooooo problem
                  Looks outstanding !

Comment

Troutman This looks outstanding! Thank you. Have yet to find tri-tip in our nearest Costco’s (San Antonio area). Guess I don’t get in there often enough to pounce on ‘em!

Comment

• 58limited
                      58limited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Try HEB, ours gets them sometimes but even if you don't see them, ask. I've asked before and they went to the back and brought out two for me.

Nice job..... for a Texas boy

Comment

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol

I’m in the next time, looks outstanding club!

Comment

As a CA native I’ve probably cooked more tri-tip than any other cut of beef. This red wine marinade sounds delicious. I’ve always done traditional Santa Maria style: salt, pepper, garlic, cooked over oak - red if I can find it.

You're on point with your cook. Reverse sear, medium rare is the only way to go.

I can’t stress enough proper cutting (your Grilling #7) - you MUST cut against the grain. Properly cut tri-tip will give you a tender and delicious bite of beef (even with Select cuts), but slice with the grain and you’ll be chewing for days.

I’m grilling a 2.5# tri-tip this evening for dinner. My mouth is already watering.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                        HouseHomey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I see a tutorial in your future. Go for it!

Thank you. Just did my first tri-tip a few weeks ago and we all loved it just using the basic SPG rub. This sounds like a nice step up in flavors without stepping on the goodness of the meat. Can’t wait to try this on the Santa Maria when it comes. Another good find is that our closest Sam’s Club carries tri-tips regularly now.

Comment

Troutman southern Illinois people have always ground tri tip and picanha into burger meat. You could never find either cut or even anyone that had heard of it. The past several years SAMs has carried it but you have to buy bulk packages between 6-8 tri tips at a time. Not a bad thing if you have freezer room.
                        ive told my local butcher to cut them for me and they don't come out looking anything like a tri tip but are awesome on the grill. I think he's cutting a lot of the sirloin with it, I'm not going to stop him because it has wonderful flavor!
                        I just dry brine, smoke to 118-120, then sear on all sides until IT hits 125-130. Let it rest and then hit it with Montreal seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
                        That marinade sounds like beef heaven and something a big thick ribeye would love!!!

Comment

• IowaGirl
                          IowaGirl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My local independent butcher has cut me several tri tips that are properly triangular and tapered and one that I'm betting was from the sirloin -- it was oddly shaped and cooked up drier and tougher than the real tri tips. I don't know if I got that one because he was short of real tri tip material or what, but the difference was marked.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here