Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic Santa Maria Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Santa Maria Tri-Tip

Looks like a few others have been having some fun with tri-tip on here recently, so I wanted to share my favorite tri-tip recipe for you all. Meathead has a great Santa Maria tri-tip tutorial on the main page, but he and I differ slightly in our takes on the west coast staple. As always, we begin with the best quality cut of this unique meat we can find. I have found a local butcher that will cut these special for me and they usually come in around 2.5 pounds. I always dry brine for at least 4 hours and up to overnight as is recommended for most meats on here. Today, I let this guy go for about 12 hours.

I set the grill for 2 zone grilling over natural lump charcoal using my Slow N Sear with the indirect side shooting for 250. While the grill is warming, I add my dry rub which is (rough measurements): 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika, 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper, 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, 1/2 tablespoon onion powder. Don't leave out the rosemary!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2102.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	529605
    While it cooks over the indirect, I like to baste the meat every 20 minutes with a simple mop of red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and fresh minced garlic. We are shooting for 115 internal temp and then we will do a reverse sear for approximately 5-7 minutes per side to reach 130 final temp. Today, this was a larger piece of meat and we seared for a total of 13 minutes to reach the doneness I was looking for.

When done correctly, the meat has the texture of a filet mignon with a hint of smoked brisket flavor. It is absolutely incredible! I slice and finish with some Flower of the Ocean Sea Salt. I typically serve this with more classic steak sides rather than BBQ sides. Today, we went with smoked potatoes I mashed and charred on the griddle topped with a garlic-parsley oil and sauteed green beans. Pair with a nice Central Coast Pinot Noir and you can't get much better eating! I encourage you all to give it a try! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2105.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	529606Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2112.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.70 MB ID:	529607Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2113.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	529608
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pmorse36; July 8, 2018, 08:28 PM.

I'M ENCOURAGED!

Comment

Looks good. I've got a tri tip in the fridge dry brining right now. Meanwhile the carrots, beef short ribs, and polenta are all almost ready for tonight.

Comment

Nice. Tri-tip is in a league of it's own.

Comment

Great presentation!

Comment

Beautiful write up, piece of meat and photos. Nicely done, great cook !!!!

Comment

Nice! Just about the way I do it, but my rub has more black pepper than paprika. Might have to pick up a try tip this week, try tip sandwiches sound good.

Comment

Just did two today. BBBR, on the weber rotisserie with red oak chips. Sliced thin, served with a Central Coast GSM. Slices set aside for salads during the work week.

Once you get this system down, it will feed you for days...

Comment

Love the tri-tip! Already planning a couple for guests Friday. I like your mop sauce recipe. I'll have to try it.

Comment

Looks great, but TT is best sliced against the grain. I take mine off at 135-140 and cook it with the fat.

Comment

• pmorse36
                      pmorse36 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely. I cut it in half at the curve of the meat and then slice it against the grain from each of the pieces.

Well done!

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No. Medium rare........

Sorry, couldn’t resist being a smart a**. LOL

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ColonialDawg - I think the same thing every time I type those words, so don't worry 'bout it.

Tt ftw!

wonder why the editor changed from all caps....?

Comment

Do new iPads have scratch and sniff screens yet? I tried on mine to no avail.

Just curious - that is a nice cut of beef. What grade and where did you procure such a fine piece of cow? It looks like a nice CAB or slight USDA Prime.
                      Last edited by ColonialDawg; July 9, 2018, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• pmorse36
                        pmorse36 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This was a USDA Choice tri-tip from my local butcher shop here in Atlanta, New York Butcher Shoppe. Aside from a little farmers market near Athens, this is the only place I've found locally that consistently carries this cut. I was very excited to find it upon moving here from Northern California where tri-tip was our standard.

• ColonialDawg
                        ColonialDawg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That’s a good looking USDA Choice cut.

Just thought I would tag on my Tri tip from 2 days ago. I used your exact rub and basting liquid and it was phenomenal. I have a 26 inch kettle with SNS. Used a chunk of post oak. I pulled the meat at 120 and seared until 130. Beautiful medium rare (lighting in pic doesn't do it justice). Awesome taste and very juicy! It won't be the last time I cook Tri tip. Thanks for the recipe pmorse36

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180715_165903.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	533713Click image for larger version  Name:	20180715_184149.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.34 MB ID:	533714Click image for larger version  Name:	20180715_184411.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	533715

Comment

WOW, beautiful plate!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here