Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot and Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

275°

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      This

I injected with beef broth and placed the brisket on when I had clean smoke at 250 for the 1st hour to take on some smoke. Then I slowly brought the temp up to 300 cooking to an internal temp of 195. I mopped it every 90 minutes. The cook took about six hours.

Comment

Aaron Franklin cooks at 275 - "If I have a favorite temperature—other than 98.6°F and 75°F and sunny—it’s got to be 275°F. This is my reference point, my safe place, when it comes to the ideal temperature for a cook."

If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

On 225, he says "But it’s not just that that’s a little too slow for me (which it is). Keeping things at 275°F is ideal because it allows brisket to form a good bark while still rendering properly on the inside."

Oh crap, my pork butt is in a 261F smoker! PANIC... Wait... BEER!
      Last edited by rickgregory; July 2, 2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Beer is the answer to most things.

Well...I tried the hot and fast..it was on for 4 hours but still not tender enough. Trial #2 will take it 5-6 hours. Thanks everyone for your comments. The pics are end to beginning....my bad
      Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I would suggest you keep going until it's probe tender next time. It might take 5 hours it might take 6.5.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        What Attjack said. (Looks pretty tasty nonetheless.)

Kathryn

• AngieAng
        AngieAng commented
        Editing a comment
        @Attjack...I just ran out of time...it was time for bed because of my work shift. But I will try it again.,....practice makes perfect

I'm doing one hot and fast in the morning. I hope it turns out as well as the last one I did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	QiD7tlDNf95mkOdHUmCE95NrhhF4V4hQFi0fkRGo79iR1nNTlNgFxUqFTnBU-IahMH2LX0QJB5ePnAL7ycGKES10HOE8lZ06QxWPCdR1hkpSmqVysk9QYk6jJqO1aWib-_n978C6t5tIyZygYQNtMC9Jqgaf6jK4g6_NylM9kshIlPk2PMpgcyMLH8EeaH7HED0lMbM8uB7cvC5zZFg_1cNEaaiKe14bKcfeDuk2fMSBXXYOIQXkp-6sXwlIqGR
Views:	228
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	702983

Comment

Do you guys usually rip these at 325 F? Or what temp do you go for when doing H&F?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the plan for me.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Right on, I might try this for the fourth.

Can I use butcher paper to wrap doing the hot and fast method or is foil best?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          You can do either. Having tied both once I might go back to foil next time.

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Foil tightly! Keep those juices, separate the fat, and then our over the meat after you slice.

3 hour and 45 minute brisket in a Pit Barrel Cooker.

For those of you that are not familiar with a Pit Barrel Cooker, it's pretty much a set it and forget it deal. There is an intake flapper above the bottom rim of the barrel that you pre-set to your cooking altitude. Just below the top rim of the barrel are four small holes to let the heat escape. these holes are, by design, mostly restricted by two rebars that fit into the holes and that are used as supports to hang cooking meat. The cooker is designed to operate, on its own, from around 275° to around 320° depending on ambient temperature and how well you paid attention to the charcoal lighting instructions. Believe me, follow the directions exactly or you're going to have a VERY hot and fast cook. Minor temp control can be attempted by decreasing the intake opening and/or stuffing foil into two of the diagonal holes that hold the rebar, but if you're at an altitude of sea level to 2,000 feet, the intake opening is maybe a pencil width. If you watch the videos of Noah, the designer of the cooker, you'll notice he NEVER uses a pit temp thermometer even though he endorses ThermoWorks. He just trusts his design.

For me, this was a redemption brisket because the first one I cooked was such a disaster. Here's what went down:

I trimmed an 11 lb prime brisket down to probably 8 or 9 lbs, injected it with KosmosQ Reserve Blend and Moisture Magic dissolved in water, and dry brined it with Kosher Salt over night.

Removed from the refrigerator 2 hours before cook time and seasoned it with Killer Hogs AP Rub and KosmoQ's Cow Cover.

Started the cook on the Pit Barrel Cooker at 0930 using Kingsdford Blue, 2 chunks of Red Oak and a chunk of Hickory, buried under the briquets as Harry Soo suggests. The brisket was cooked hanging on hooks, flat end toward the charcoal. Outside temperature in AZ was 104° in the shade of the overhang where the PBC is located.

Internal temp at 1 hour was 134° - spritzed with apple juice.
        Pit temp between 280-315°

Internal temp at 2 hours was 153° - spritzed - looked beautiful
        Pit temp 300-315°

Hit 160° internal at 2 hours and 30 minutes - pulled the brisket, took out the hooks, and wrapped it in foil, pouring the leftover injection liquid over the brisket. Put it back on the PBC, using the grill grate.

At 3 hours and 45 minutes internal temp was 203° - pulled it, wrapped the foil package
        in towels and placed in a cooler. The brisket was still firm feeling when I removed it from the cooker.

Removed the meat from the faux cambro after 3 1/2 hours. When I lifted the brisket out of the foil onto the cutting board it felt like it was going to come apart in my hands. Started slicing at the end of the flat which had been closest to the coals in the PBC. The bark was black but even the first slice was moist and tender, and that's the way it was throughout the entire flat. There were 4 of us gathered around the cutting board, a couple who are our best friends and my wife and I. My friends started picking slices off the board with their fingers and exclaiming at the great flavor. My wife, who is Thai and not a big beef eater was also eagerly chowing down. The point was even more tender and juicy and it tasted like heaven, and that's what ended up on our dinner plates. During the meal, my friend kept saying that he'd never tasted brisket this good and his wife said she thought it was more tender than a ribeye.

Previous to this, because my first attempt at brisket was such a disaster, I couldn't understand why brisket seemed to be the Holy Grail of the BBQ community, but after tasting the result of today's cook, I can see why.

I firmly believe that the Pit Barrel Cooker is idiot proof. This was my 4th cook on the PBC, chicken twice, pork spareribs, and this brisket, and all have beautifully done and very moist. I'm a retired airline pilot and it's very hard for me not to want to monitor temperatures because that's what I've been doing all my life, but with the Pit Barrel Cooker, I just might have to give that up...maybe.
        Last edited by AZ Fogey; July 1, 2019, 12:00 PM. Reason: Added outside temp because it may have affected cooking time.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Great post!

Kathryn

This took exactly 5 hours at 325f.

Name:	20190627_175949.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	705193

Name:	20190629_100445.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	705194

Name:	20190629_102301.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	705195

Name:	20190629_105012.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	705196

Name:	20190629_152426~2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	705192

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes please. And pass whatever food accompanied it as well.

Kathryn

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc there was so much other food I didn't come close to trying everything. Many tasty offerings. Many tasty drinks. I didn't get to bed until after 2.

Although cooking brisket hot and fast certainly works, my only issue is bark formation. Everyone I've seen in these examples looks delicious and tender but the bark just isn't there for my liking. I have moved into the 275-285* camp and generally get the meat off in 6 hours and cambro for 2 hours. I want that deep, rich dalmatian bark, that makes a brisket for me. Not knocking anyone's brisket, just not in that big a hurry when I cook one.

Name:	brisket 03.jpg
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	705363

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm with you on the importance of bark. I haven't tried hot & fast brisket yet, but am wet aging a 12.8lb prime one for hanging on my PBC on the 30th. PBC being what it is my temps will start ~330 but should fall to ~275 after an hour or so. I hope to keep it there and get the bark I want and only wrap if I need to hurry it along for dinner @ 6pm. I plan to use the Black Ops rub which I think you've got some experience with. Anxious-parents are coming for my bday and they are excited for it!

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, brisket bark is a very big deal for me. That's what keeps me from going the warp speed route.

FWIW, I did a test of a chuckie smoked hot and fast at 325ish in my WSCGC and another smoked at the same time in my PBC at 275°F. The PBC chuckie won hands down for tenderness and juiciness.

Kathryn

Comment

Here’s the skinny on hot and fast brisket. I didn’t read every single post prior, here’s what I do.

While raw I separate the flat from the point. Season to taste

Set my wsm (dry with foil lined water pan) with guru to 325
          place on top grate (unless it’s a ridiculous size both cuts should fit on one rack).
          cook for one hour on each side before wrapping.

I wrap wrap in three layers of heavy foil. In foil I use about a cup of Beef broth and half cup of Andrea’s steak sauce. (If you are unfamiliar with Andreas, you can just use whatever, or skip it altogether. When I tell people it has steak sauce some people are apprehensive. If you use a robust rub, like the big bad beef rub, or heavy Dalmatian rub, the steak sauce blends well.)
          cook wrapped and check temp AND tenderness at an hour and a half. Usually it’s done by then, but a stubborn piece of meat might want more time.

Im looking for about 205 AND super tender.

I sell out every time I make this.

Let us us know what you end up doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
            Although cooking brisket hot and fast certainly works, my only issue is bark formation. Everyone I've seen in these examples looks delicious and tender but the bark just isn't there for my liking. I have moved into the 275-285* camp and generally get the meat off in 6 hours and cambro for 2 hours. I want that deep, rich dalmatian bark, that makes a brisket for me. Not knocking anyone's brisket, just not in that big a hurry when I cook one.

Name:	brisket 03.jpg
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	705363
            My bark turned out pretty well.

Name:	ATYIR5g0K6tXbouri9L5NyNFYYSOgRTFDaFDEylKm8ZXJ50m5XAvoFCDbt73LePE3z8xlRU8j5nYcNymALc4OIaf4mxzmxUh_fSjQcN2FalfZJAAN4vLNvfyxk7_96Yj3gRTU02JdxhxJt0c4AeRVKGQvpOoopFHwtFXq2fmAE7GDrwwMjzVkLu3-j4jwdEAbX2caRa8yfbHS_bqjySFO30kOUonW9l8y-ye31vw8HQULjU5JoOyZjz_bnntLOH
Views:	198
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	705553

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you are mistaking the 160f pics for finished brisket pics.

Originally posted by AngieAng View Post
            Well...I tried the hot and fast..it was on for 4 hours but still not tender enough. Trial #2 will take it 5-6 hours. Thanks everyone for your comments. The pics are end to beginning....my bad
            That dome thermometer might be your issue. Those are useless. Get a Maverick etc or at least use a Thermapen or other instant read to check the meat.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Although my dome temp on the Primo XL is very close to my DigiQ2 I agree. Your dome temps are very likely higher than what your grate temp is.

• AngieAng
              AngieAng commented
              Editing a comment
              I use another temp for the meat...the dome temp just for heat

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              AngieAng But if you are trying to cook hot and fast and your dome temp is giving you a false reading then you aren't really cooking as hot as you think. I cooked that brisket at 325 and did not go by the dome thermometer. It actually read a little lower than what my grate temp was actually at.

Gotcha....I’ll get another temp for grate and see how that works out. Will be doing it again this weekend

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here