Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Unwrapped brisket rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HJS
    HJS
    Club Member
    • Jun 2016
    • Elmhurst
      Hometown: Lexington, KY
      Current Location: Chicago-ish with my wife Caitlin and sons Johnny Roger (J.R.) and Marty
      Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
      Weber Performed Premium with Slow N Sear
      Pit Barrel Cooker

Unwrapped brisket rest

Hey guys. Man I've missed this place but I've been busy.

So I'm on vacation and got all the time in the world. I started a brisket on the PBC at 7:30 am. Untrimmed it was 15 lbs prime from Costco. This stall has been ridiculous, it's been 5-6 hours and 165 to 160 to 171 to 165 and now we're finally back up to 167 and I'm hoping this is it. I don't feel like going in and out of the house any more today so over brought it to the oven at 275.

I've always wrapped a brisket but I thought I would change it up and not wrap. When you get probe tender how do you let it rest? Previously I would wrap in foil or butcher paper and then take it right to the cooler with towels on it once it got tender. What do you do when you don't wrap at all and take it straight through? Also should I start checking for tenderness at a lower temp since I won't be wrapping?
  • Troutman
    Club Member
    • Aug 2017

• OUTDOOR COOKERS

BBQ ACCESSORIES

WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES

SOUS VIDE

INDOOR COOKWARE

Throw it in a foil pan and cover with foil and towels before putting it into your cooler. Or throw it into a warm oven set to 160-170* in lieu of a cooler.

Comment

• HJS
      HJS commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I didn't know if you set it on the counter tented in foil or if you re-wrap it then it would ruin the bark.
  • jfmorris
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Huntsville, Alabama
    • Jim Morris

Cookers
      • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (2021)
      • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
      • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
      • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q & Rotisserie (2007)
      • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
      • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
      • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
      • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
      • Anova
      Thermometers
      • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
      • Thermoworks Dot
      • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
      • Thermoworks RT600C
      Beverages
      • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

HJS Even if you don’t wrap during the cook, you still typically wrap in foil if you are going to rest in faux cambro. I don’t serve a brisket that has not rested for several hours. A wrap for the rest shouldn’t ruin the bark.

Comment

• HJS
      HJS commented
      Editing a comment
      Very helpful both of you thank you!
  • texastweeter
    Club Member
    • Jul 2017
    • Republic of Texas

All good advice. Wrap it in foil or pan it and top with foil. Into a quality cooler (folks here know my affinity for the YETI products, but any will do) or if I am at home, it goes on the rack of my warming drawer under my oven set to medium low (145°). I like to let it rest as long as possible. 4 hours is ideal for me.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      Club Member
      • Jul 2016
      • Virginia
      • 2 Weber Performers, 1 kettle, 1 Smoky Joe and a PBC
        Thermopops
        Dot and Chef Alarm with probes
        Slo n Sear
        Cold beer

All I can add is Prime will sometimes get probe tender before 200*.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
      See more
      See less
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Meat-Up in Memphis