Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unwrapped brisket rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwrapped brisket rest

Hey guys. Man I've missed this place but I've been busy.

So I'm on vacation and got all the time in the world. I started a brisket on the PBC at 7:30 am. Untrimmed it was 15 lbs prime from Costco. This stall has been ridiculous, it's been 5-6 hours and 165 to 160 to 171 to 165 and now we're finally back up to 167 and I'm hoping this is it. I don't feel like going in and out of the house any more today so over brought it to the oven at 275.

I've always wrapped a brisket but I thought I would change it up and not wrap. When you get probe tender how do you let it rest? Previously I would wrap in foil or butcher paper and then take it right to the cooler with towels on it once it got tender. What do you do when you don't wrap at all and take it straight through? Also should I start checking for tenderness at a lower temp since I won't be wrapping?

Throw it in a foil pan and cover with foil and towels before putting it into your cooler. Or throw it into a warm oven set to 160-170* in lieu of a cooler.

Comment

• HJS
      HJS commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I didn't know if you set it on the counter tented in foil or if you re-wrap it then it would ruin the bark.

HJS Even if you don’t wrap during the cook, you still typically wrap in foil if you are going to rest in faux cambro. I don’t serve a brisket that has not rested for several hours. A wrap for the rest shouldn’t ruin the bark.

Comment

• HJS
      HJS commented
      Editing a comment
      Very helpful both of you thank you!

All good advice. Wrap it in foil or pan it and top with foil. Into a quality cooler (folks here know my affinity for the YETI products, but any will do) or if I am at home, it goes on the rack of my warming drawer under my oven set to medium low (145°). I like to let it rest as long as possible. 4 hours is ideal for me.

Comment

All I can add is Prime will sometimes get probe tender before 200*.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here