Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing Pastrami

Well, here’s a new one for me .... my wife grabbed a 3.5 lb brisket flat and I figured I’d give a pastrami a shot.

Brined using Meathead’s recipe and then his rub. Was in the brine for 7 days, desalinated for 12 hours (3 water changes) and then rub for 24 hours. Got it on the WSM and running the grate temp about 260F now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00FA2EE9-205D-4908-AAA3-38AD835E73A6.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	628560Click image for larger version

Name:	15C0EFBB-8BDF-4839-A024-73FE3EB3371E.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	628557Click image for larger version

Name:	4650D679-3F2B-42D3-B59C-6D058FF8ECA0.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	628558Click image for larger version

Name:	1C7D872C-EEE1-4041-AB13-9614935A1900.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	628559

Yum! Been too long since I've done pastrami, it's a great winter meat I think.

Comment

Yeah, I tried some other methods (dry cure, non-brisket), but Meathead's method with brisket is the mack daddy standard. Might pick me up a hunk of meat tonight. I got a single man fridge.

Comment

I'm cooking a pastrami today also! 9.5lb brisket flat. It was on the KBQ for about 5.5 hrs before I ran out of wood (coooold here today!) And now it's finishing in the oven.

Name:	IMG_E6197.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	628584

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great

One thing I did different .... I didn’t have any ground coriander, but had plenty of coriander seeds .... so I ground up a handful. The fresh ground seeds are powerful compared to the powder you buy in the store, so I only used a tablespoon in the recipe.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I do the same thing

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Whatever you do.. do not smell the fresh ground coriander if you grind in an electric coffee grinder.. I did that last time and it dropped me to my knees and my nose ran for a week!!! Wife thought it was hilarious though..

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Backroadmeats good to know .... I could smell how strong it was while I was a foot away.

Love the WSM .... I am not running a fan or anything, just have my vents set .... rock solid and stable on temps :-)

Name:	29B3CE52-8379-4F5E-8C30-B2C20DED5C87.png
Views:	279
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	628596

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          PaulstheRibList I love the WSM .... it’s a solid beast

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper if you don't mind me asking, where did you have the vents set on the WSM?

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Craigar bottom vents were all at half and top vent was at 2/3

I got a 4# flat I cut off a 17# brisket which I just put into the curing bath. Using Meatheads method but will finish QVQ. Good luck with yours !!

Comment

Well, it is probe tender at 204F so I pulled it and I’m holding in a 170F oven for 90 minutes or so. Then slice, served with green salad, spaetzle and sauerkraut

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            OmegaDog12 with sous vide, I wouldn’t think so. I don’t do SVQ, so can’t say for certain. I smoked all the way to probe tender to get it tender and done.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Generally speaking you should not post smoke your meat beyond the SV temp, in your case 150* OmegaDog12

• OmegaDog12
            OmegaDog12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! It came out fantastic! Rocking Reuben Sammie’s, anyone?

Ooo good call on the spaetzle and kraut.. damn that made me hungry my gramma used to make that and I think i need to now..

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            We make spaetzle a lot ..... have the spaetzle maker tool and everything :-)

That oughtta be fabulous. Fabulous, I say.

Comment

Great minds, and all that...

Name:	IMG_4125.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	628670

4ish pound store bought point cut corned beef, going on the SnS in a bit. Plan on smoking it until the bark and color are where I want them and then finish SV later in the week.

Comment

Best thing on the site! IMO>

Comment

• Rfuilrez
                Rfuilrez commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker Meatheads Pastrami is my favorite thing to pull off my smoker. The guys at work love it when I bring samples too!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes Sir!!!! It is an absolute favorite in my office too! Rfuilrez

Man I'm jealous. It has been a while since I have done a Pastrami or any BBQ. Finally got a Chuckie on today for some shredded beef street tacos. Looking forward to seeing the final product. For me Pastrami is #1 and Chuckies for whatever are #2 for Low n Slow BBQ.

Comment

And here you go .... finished product .... never did get a picture of the whole thing plated :-(

Name:	F8D25CF9-2321-4DB7-8EF1-072A584CA587.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	628792

Comment

• OSB
                  OSB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man..... My mouth is watering.

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man, that looks good.

• PappyBBQ
                  PappyBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I slide a slice of rye over will you stack it up for me? Looks dang tasty!

I made pastrami the other day - need to upload the photos...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here