Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I may have ruined New Year's Day dinner. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I may have ruined New Year's Day dinner. :(

So, I have to fight to be allowed to make brisket. I'm not a master by any means, and my wife isn't a big fan. So spending $45-60 on a Prime chunk of meat is something of a luxury - I have to find a time when we're going to have a lot of company, she always fights me on it.

So last night I put my brisket on... a quick trim and season with some Oak Ridge Black Ops seasoning and threw some probes in it, on the smoker it goes. A little after midnight.

Head to bed, asleep around 2, set my alarm for 5 to check my pellets so they don't tunnel, when I go out I notice that that hopper is WAY lower than it oughtta be after only 5 hours. HOLY CRAP! I left the Yoder at the "startup temp" of 350ºF! Ohhhh noooo!!!!

Well, it was about 22ºF and I was standing on the back patio in nothing but a pair of shorts, couldn't even find my flip flops. So I turned it down to 250ºF, filled the hopper back up and headed back inside as quickly as possible to try to ward off the frostbite on my toesies!

So here's the link to my cook:

If you check it out, you can see one probe must be going bad, I think - the one labeled "Flat 1" currently reading well above where the smoker temp oughtta be - and it is going through hella temp changes, and dropped almost 200ºF once while I was sleeping! I had to toss one last week, too, that was reading almost 10ºF low against the others. It sucks when those things are $15 apiece.

So... I'm afraid I'm gonna have mostly cinder on the flat, burnt ends for the rest. What do ya'll think?

BTW, f-ups like this don't help my case when trying to convince my wife... every time I screw up a brisket, especially a PRIME brisket, she reminds me how easy pork butts and babybacks are and how much we all love them. <sigh>

You can probably salvage a big portion of this cook...just trim and cut. As for salvaging your wife.... the less said to her the better.

Comment

Ouch that hurts! I hate to say it but this is another example of how set it and forget it isn't always so. I would guess your flat is toast and maybe salvage the point by making burnt ends like you say. I don't think I could set a smoker and go to bed and expect to sleep.

Comment

No snitches here. Cut off any horribly burnt pieces and nobody else has to know about them.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, corpus dilecti, no body sees em, they didn’t happen. The rest might be ok.

If it’s well marbled it should be ok. I would definitely wrap and finish at a gentle 220 to extend the cook and preserve moisture.

Comment

So how did you do? I am guessing you figured something out.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Inquiring minds want to know!

I would also add some broth or other liquid in the wrap to try and rehydrate a bit. Bet you still have edible meat inside.

Comment

Failure just means chopped BBQ. Bad failure means add sauce. Shoot, there are restaurant chains BASED on lousy overcooked brisket! Your family might love it...

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              👍👍👍 !

You might be OK, A lot of Texas BBQ joints actually cook at 300-350 degrees to speed up the process. If there are dry or burnt parts, just trim as advised by others above. Hope it turned out.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Harry Soo cooks his competition briskets hot and fast and wins tons of money with them.

Hey DogFaced PonySoldier .... inquiring minds wanna know .... If that was a big brisket, I bet the center portions of the flat and the flat/point overlap were going to be fine. Especially if you slowed the cook, wrapped, added some broth or apple juice. And if you were careful to trim away then thinner ends of the flat, which were probably overcooked.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, what he said.

Try some beef ribs next time. They are an easier cook, and some, (including my wife and I), like them better than brisket.

Comment

I did beef ribs a couple days ago, they turned out great.

The brisket flat was pretty dry. The bark was hard... not crispy, hard and overcooked. I've turned it into a bunch of chopped brisket and some burnt ends.

Comment

The overcooked parts can be used in a dip, chili or a stew and will be perfectly good if chopped small enough.

Comment

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "The overcooked parts can be used in a dip,"

YES!! There's a sausage kitchen near us that makes what they call Jerky Dip. It's fantastic.

What was the response from the peanut gallery?

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Eh, everyone said it was good. You know, they are not as hard on me as I am on myself... but I know this is going to make it harder to convince The Wife next time I want to do a brisket. <sigh>

Man epic fail. Get back on your horse, we've all fallen off believe me.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Indeed. I know what I did, so that's good. I'll wait a couple of months until the weather warms up and I can have people over to eat outside - ok, maybe a few months, not a couple. lol

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fo' Sho' !

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here