Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with first big brisket cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with first big brisket cook

So I'm planning on doing my first big brisket cook and have been reading everything on this site I possibly can.
    I'm aiming for a 6PM dinner and am getting a 10 to 12 lb brisket and will be using a Memphis Pro.
    Based on what I am reading a 1 to 2 hour rest seems best so I'd look to be done between 4 and 5
    Looks like I should plan on 14-18 hours of cook time since I will crutch at 150 and I'd rather have it done early and sit a little longer than deal with the wife giving me dirty looks while the kids get "hangry"

here are my two questions

1. I was planning on starting it off around 10PM the night before. How long would it typically take to get to 150, or when should I plan on waking up to wrap it?
    2. Am I looking at this the right way?

Have a plan but try not overthink it too much, even with it's idiosyncrasies it's still just a piece of meat. Follow Meathead's guide and you will be fine. Most of mine come off in 10 hours or less in the pellet pooper, but can take a little longer with a kettle. ecowper has a great brisket guide and hopefully he'll chime in with it. Good luck and, most of all, have fun!

Comment

dcdivenut listen to CaptainMike , and don't overthink things. If you have done a large Boston butt before in the 8-10 pound range, a 10-12 pound brisket, which is a little on the small side for full packers, will probably take a similar amount of time, or maybe less, based on thickness of the point.

I've done 16 to 20 pound packers (pre-trim weight), and they usually have taken me 14-16 hours at 225F. If your packer is smaller, or your temperature is higher, it will take less time.

Read that article by Meathead and wrap by 160 in foil, and you should be golden on this first cook. And as you say, better safe than sorry - I've held a brisket in faux cambro for 5 hours before, and it was still 160F IT when I pulled it out to slice.

EDIT: I just reviewed some notes, and a 14.5 pound Costco USDA prime packer (16 before trimming) took me 14.5 hours start to finish at 225 cooker temp range. 8 hours on the offset at 225F to reach 150F in the thickest part of the flat. I then wrapped in foil with 1 cup of beef broth, and moved to a 225F oven in the house, keeping the probe in place. 6.5 hours later at 7AM the alarm went off at 203F, and I woke up and put it in faux cambro. We had lunch 5.5 hours later after church, and the probe still read 160F when I went to open the cooler.

Also note, select and choice grade packers sometimes may take LONGER to cook, due to lower fat content. At least that is what I've read.
      Last edited by jfmorris; December 20, 2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Here is what I would do:
        Night before: Get a good night’s sleep
        8:00 AM - Drink a cup of coffee, eat a big breakfast
        12:00 PM - Light smoker and shoot for 300 F. Trim brisket and apply rub while smoker is heating up.
        1:00 PM - Meat goes on the smoker, crack open a cold beer, enjoy a nice glass of bourbon, or heat up a pot of Glögg. Watch first college bowl game.
        3:00 PM - Admire the bark and color of your brisket, then wrap tightly in foil (~160-170 F internal) and place back on your smoker. Pour another glass of bourbon or Glögg.
        5:00 - 5:30 PM - Pull brisket off the smoker when brisket probes like butter (~210 internal). Unwrap to release steam, strain the juices and reserve. Lightly wrap brisket and put in cooler if needed. (Resting not necessary but brisket will start drying when you carve it so wait right before time to eat and pour reserved juices on meat)
        6:00 PM - carve and eat
        7:30 PM - After you are carried on the shoulders of family and guests for serving the best hunk of cow any of them have eaten, pour some hot cocoa and then take the fam out to look at Christmas lights

Comment

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          So, your Costco only carries Choice packers? I figured Costco would be consistent from one location to the next. I know they usually carry choice flats but all the packers I’ve seen are Prime. Interesting.

• M249saw
          M249saw commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah that’s what I would have thought. I see plenty of other people getting prime brisket at Costco but ever time I’m there I look and have only found choice.

• Larry Grover
          Larry Grover commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like the perfect day!

jfmorris Is correct. The lower grade of meat takes longer to cook. I can verify from cooking on anything from a pellet grill to offset cooker. My most consistent cooks come from prime briskets from Costco. I like to buy them between 14-16 lbs and let them get to room temp before I put on the grill. All of that to say it takes about 8 hours to cook a 14lb brisket at 275. I pull at 160 and wrap in butcher paper and then again when its tender. Temp is inconsequential to me because all that matters is feel but if I had a perfect temp its be 203 and let rest at least 2 hours but can stretch if needed. Much rather be done earlier but I allow for a 2 hour window in case the stall lasts longer than expected. Like the others said, don't overthink or rush it. It will be done when its done.
        Last edited by Bobby Q's; December 20, 2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I usually start my briskets between 10 PM and Midnight for dinner the following day. That will usually give me plenty of cook time and a couple extra hours if things go off the rails somehow. I would much rather have a brisket done at noon for a 6 PM dinner than done at 8 PM. Wrapped in foil or butcher paper and then wrapped in some big towels and placed in a cooler the brisket will stay plenty warm for 6 hours.

Comment

• wcpreston
            wcpreston commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes sense if you're looking at a 10-12 hour cook. But only if you're going to babysit it OR have a temp controller that will do it for you while you sleep

I cook mine very similar to ColonialDawg and Bobby Q's methods. Cooker runs 300-325, wrap in pink butcher paper after 2 hours then pull it off when it is probe tender. I rest mine on the counter for 2 hours then slice.

Comment

• wcpreston
            wcpreston commented
            Editing a comment
            Rest on the counter? Doesn't the temp drop below the safe zone? I put mine in a faux cambro

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, hot and fast baby !! Even 275* improves time, but over 300* is like turbo charging.

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            wcpreston it might, just always done it that way.

I guess I should have mentioned that I run mine at 275°

Comment

Here is Eric’s guide. I keep it bookmarked. Good luck https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...brisket-method

Comment

I think the lesson from jfmorris is a big one. I hope you've already done a pork/butt shoulder on this smoker, and you have some idea of what temp and cook time you're looking at, as they're very close. Although you don't need to wrap a butt, but the general consensus is to wrap the brisket at 160.

I haven't done a good job of keeping a log of cook times. I have to get better at that. I've done a few briskets on my PBC, which tends to run around 300. If I'm cooking for dinner, I'm up at 5, which gets the meat on at about 5:45. (Meat's prepped and in the fridge from the night before. I just need to put it in.)

At least two hours rest in the faux cambro. I've done up to 4 hours. I keep the temp probe in it and watch that it stays above 145F. Don't want to make people sick.

I do NOT cut it until it's time to eat. That's important.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes - that last item cannot be stressed enough when it comes to brisket. I cringe sometimes when I see photos of a full brisket all sliced up on a cutting board. Unless you have 20 people there to eat it all at once, that's a good way to dry it out. I routinely eat at a local BBQ hole in the wall where the old man in the cowboy hat behind the counter is cutting the brisket to order. He sure hasn't pre-sliced it.

wow guys, thanks for the confidence!

Now I guess I should have some tips to live up to it. Here we go

1. a brisket is just another piece of meat
              2. have a plan
              3. 10-12 lbs is on the small side, so figure on the small side for cooking, too
              4. Relax and have fun

As to specifics ...

regardless of the weight of the brisket ... rest it at least 1 hour, preferably 2, in a faux cambro.

regardless of the weight of the brisket ... you are cooking to probe tender. Once the thickest part of the meat is over 190, start probing the flat and the point. When your probe goes in like a knife into warm butter ... it's ready

The stall is going to surprise you ... for how long it is, how big a deal it is. Plan for the stall.

A brisket is done when it is done. It is ornery and tough and doesn't like to follow the rules.

A brisket, in my opinion, is much easier to cook than pork ribs. Crazy, I know, but true.

Have FUN

Also, my guide, Meathead's guide, Aaron Franklin's videos, etc are all great help. BUT here's the thing. At the end of the day, you are the guy doing the cooking. All we can do is help you with our thoughts and experiences.

Feel free to ping and ask for help if you need it.
              Last edited by ecowper; December 21, 2018, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• dcdivenut
                dcdivenut commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks a ton!

Lots of good advice here! I also cook a 275° F, it turns out just fine. The advantage is that you can do the brisket all in one day. I would get up at 6 AM, fire up the kettle (is that what you're using by the way?), and then put the brisket on at 7 AM. That still gives you margin. Good luck and take photos!

Comment

I’m agreeing with Henrik if ya are planning to crutch your gonna finish with cooking 2 hours early. It speeds up the process. Which isn’t a bad thing cause ya can hold it in a faux Cambro. If ya get done way early you can also put the brisket in the oven at say 170 or 180, wrapped tightly of course.
                But that is for a last resort. I just wrap in towels and a ole cooler. That holds just fine
                for that size brisket I would plan on a 12 hour cook.
                Ill be doing a brisket on Friday night along with some other items so with the prep being already done, I’ll start cooking around midnight for everything to be served at 4pm. It’s an 18 lb brisket with a 12 lb butt
                however my brisket and butt will not to crutched

Comment

thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it. I am doing a 10 to 12 lb piece and I am doing it on a Memphis Grill Pro
                  I really don't want to serve dinner late, there are two families worth of kids under 10, so I am going to put it up the night before and hope it doesn't hit the stall while I am asleep.

If it does, I assume that if I crutch it later it will still work out okay.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Since you're putting it on the night before run it at 225. Do you have a leave-in thermometer with an alarm? That can be a cook-saver if something goes haywire whilst you're slumbering.

• dcdivenut
                    dcdivenut commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks CaptainMike. I have the probe on the Memphis which ties to the app and that has alerts and I have a Thermoworks DOT, but the beeping on that is as likely to wake my neighbor as me!

Must be brisket time. I am planning on putting one on Christmas Eve at around 10 on the WSM. Plan on running all night for Christmas dinner at around 4. Got a prime packer from Costco - I forget how big it is. I remember my first brisket (before AR) was pretty dry, but since becoming an AR member, I have a lot more confidence about it. Dry brine in advance, get the pit to temp, rub when ready (BBR or @Henrik's), put it on, let it ride. MH Texas BBQ Juice. I'll post pics if I get a chance - taking it to Atlanta, so I may be pushed for time.

Comment

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love Texas BBQ Juice!

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That stuff brought tears to my eyes when I first tasted it. I try and keep a jar in the fridge now and put it on everything.

• dcdivenut
                    dcdivenut commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So I'm confused... everything here says not to use a mop or anything like that. So you use the TX BBQ Juice as a sauce at the end, right?

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here