Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Method for Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Method for Prime Rib

I was checking out prime rib prices and availability on the HEB (grocery chain) web site and came across this method for bone-in prime rib:
    I have smoked some, deep-fried some, and cooked in the oven. Always comes out amazing. The deep-fried is really amazing! As for the one [I think (s)he meant "oven"], Put it in 500 degree oven after you lather it up with your fav seasonings and soft butter. Bake for 5 minutes per pound, shut oven off and leave door closed. Open door 2 hours later and you have your feast! Make sure you put roast on a rack which can drain into a lower pan!"

Has anyone tried something like this, and, if so, how did it turn out? TIA."
    Last edited by gcdmd; December 19, 2018, 09:01 AM.

My former neighbor (RIP) used to swear by a very similar method....he'd put the roast in the oven, turn it on to 500 (so it was in during the pre-heat), leave it for 30 mins, then shut it off and leave it closed for 2 hours.

Comment

I have done this several times and it has come out absolutely fantastic. Oven's do vary though, so two hours in an oven that looses it's heat in 5 minutes like my older oven did, not so good. The meat would be dang near cold after two hours. The last time I did this I also used a probe so I could monitor it cus we are all crazy that way now. Leave nothing to chance. But the process works very good. I was taught this method back in the 80's.

Comment

I've actually seen a few TV chefs do it on the boob tube. I'll take smoked any day....doin' one next week, Prime 1 from HEB baby !!!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Do me a favor and post the link to your purveyor of Double R. Been wanting to try some of their meat.....

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          Snake River Farms brother, under their Northwest Beef tab! Yummy! https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/northwest-beef.html

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh didn't realize SRF carried the brand. I saw someone else on Google did as well but didn't see the cuts I wanted. Thanks !!

We've done it too, and it comes out very nice. But not so different from a low oven until within 15 degrees of target IT, followed by removing the roast, warming the oven to its highest bake/roast temp, then back in for 15-20 minutes for browning it up.

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          I would agree with this totally. I don't think there is any real difference. Prime roast cooked good is just dang good!

We never had prime rib growing up, but last year my mom wanted to make one for a special occasion. I sent her all the info on this site and tried to tell her that it was just about temperature, but since it was so expensive and her first time, she went with the method above because she found it all over the internet. Well, my parents' oven is fairly new, and probably well insulated, because I don't think the temp dropped very much and the roast ended up overcooked.

It was still really good because it was prime rib, but very little red left. If I did one in the oven, I'd stick my digital thermometer in there and pull it at MR. But why would I do that when I have all these fantastic grills and smokers?

Comment

Recipe to turn the spinalis to grey chewy matter. But so few folks focus on nailing the best bites.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Which one? Both?

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            "500 degree oven after you lather it up with your fav seasonings and soft butter. Bake for 5 minutes per pound, shut oven off and leave door closed."
            10 lbs roast will spend 50 minutes in intense heat, then several more hours of less intense heat... spinalis is outside... bad.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for clarifying!

I've done that exact method .... it comes out great at the high end of medium rare. I still prefer to cook it on the Hasty-Bake rotisserie :-)

Comment

I have read and heard about this method for many years. To me it leaves open the possibility for too many variables thus leading to mistakes.

For me it is a big leap of faith to drop a $50.00 or more piece of meat into a 500 degree oven, turning it off and hoping for the best. I'm certainly not saying it doesn't work but I like the idea of having control.

Just my humble .02

Comment

Would this method work on a beef tenderloin??

Comment

• shify
                shify commented
                Editing a comment
                No. It won’t work well on anything.

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure, but the tenderloin is considerably leaner, so I'd worry about it drying out.

• geotek230
                geotek230 commented
                Editing a comment
                UPDATE Cooked the tenderloin at 425 for about a hr till internal was at 130 shut off oven pulled it out at 135 let set about 15 min and sliced thin for samich rolls. was about a 6 lb. loin. most of the loin was medium rare with only the very center inch or so was rare every one loved it

Its a terrible recipe and I strongly implore you not to follow it.

Broadly speaking, what the recipe is seeking to accomplish is your normal high heat to sear and then cook slow. But that approach of just blinding following time is a recipe for failure. Roasts are not the same size or shape, some ovens hold heat better than others, etc.

For prime rib, reverse sear is the way to go.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm 100% with you on this one. Sounds like a 'mircacle' method, and we all know those don't work.

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree. High risk of under or over cooking.

While a forward sear would work okay (reverse sear is how I dot as it’s even more foolproof) getting it out at exactly the right temp can’t be understated.

When I've cooked prime rib in the oven....500 degrees for 30 min. Turn oven to lowest setting and cook to 120 to 125 degrees internal temp. Let rest and it has come out perfect.

Comment

• Timbo54
                Timbo54 commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't really say as I had used this method for 20 plus years. Guessing it could of been 8-9 Lbs. on the largest roast. The 500 plus degrees just sear the outside and then returning it to the lowest setting gently warms and breaks down the inside,till the internal temp reaches 125. I have not done a Prime rib this way in years, but my Mother in law now swears to this method vs 350 degrees for ?. I now smoke all my prime rib @ 200-225 regardless of size to the internal desired internal temp.

• Timbo54
                Timbo54 commented
                Editing a comment
                Low and slow after developing the crust with a temp probe to 125.

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for your help, Tim. I'll be cooking this at my son's house, which is over a hundred miles from where I live, and I won't have access to my own outdoor equipment. I'll let you and the rest of the board know how it turns out.

If I were going to do this, I'd use a probe instead of time to know when to pull it. But I'd still do it on the grill.

Comment

The original recipe mentioned above came from a NY Times article back in 1966 before all the meat probes.. We do this every Christmas and it turns out perfect every time. Although, I am tempted to use Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust recipe this year...

Preheat oven to 475°F degrees.

Make a rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder and apply to meat. Place meat on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan fat side up with two cups of water in the pan. Place the roasting pan on a lower cooking rack in the oven.

Roast at 475°F for 6 minutes per pound for RARE, 6 1/2 minutes per pound for medium rare, 7 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 8 minutes per pound for WELL DONE (if you want to ruin it).

Turn off oven at the end of cooking time and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS.

At the end of the 2 hours, remove meat from oven to slice.

Comment

• tstalafuse
                  tstalafuse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Here is a link to a repost of the original recipe that shows up to a 12lb roast. You will notice it calls for slightly different temp/time. I don't know if ovens have changed over the years, but mine has never hit the 500 without the broiler coming on, which created quite the smoke bomb from the direct heating elements. Anyway, I tweaked the temp and times to adjust for the slightly lower temp for my oven.
                  Last edited by tstalafuse; December 20, 2018, 12:26 PM.

• tstalafuse
                  tstalafuse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  dang character limits...

PS. I know this repost is accurate as my wife inherited boxes of recipes that included the original paper publication.

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for your input. I'll be cooking this at my son's house, about 130 miles from mine. I think I will take the best of both worlds. I'll start out the roast using this method but will also monitor the IT and modify as needed.

I’d definitely stay away from this method. Reverse sear for the win!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here