Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

-40c in the freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-40c in the freezer

Had a butcher tell me that they freeze their meat to below -40c to break the proteins making it more tender. I bit my tongue and didn't say anything, but would like to hear blonders take on this process.

Don't see how it could be more tender I'd find it difficult enough to get even a bite out of the meat.

Comment

To my thinking, using deep cold to crush the molecular interstitial displacements in animal muscle wouldn't affect the proteins at all, but might tone things up really well - like a day at the gym.

It better not affect the proteins, because I plan to go into cryo-freeze soon, and be woke up in ~ 300 years.

(that sales guy isn't lying to me, is he? he also asked if I'd take a credit payment from one of his clients and give him the cash, because he doesn't accept credit cards yet.)

Comment

I know when we get that temp up here it really doesn’t make me feel any more tender.

Comment

Where is this shop & remind me not to go there.

I beg your pardon, I repeat myself.

Comment

I bet he lets the meat thaw to room temperature, too

Comment

Ironically Celsius and Fahrenheit agree at -40.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Confused the hell out of me when I looked to the conversion!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here