Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which roast(s) to buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which roast(s) to buy...

I'm fairly set on ordering from SRF for our Christmas roast(s). Here's the dilemma:

I can get one gold grade boneless American Wagyu rib roast (over 8lbs) for $340.

Or, I could get TWO boneless RR Ranch choice grade rib roasts (6.5lbs each) for $270.

Or, let's make it a trilemma! One 10lb RR Ranch bone in rib roast, and one 8lb RR Ranch bone in rib roast, for $287!

My thinking is still to not sell short that RR Ranch stuff. It is really great value, it gets you about 80% of the way to Gold Wagyu for about a third the price.
    Last edited by Mosca; November 5, 2018, 05:31 PM.

I'm gonna roast a chicken... $ 0.79 / lb.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't even thought about it yet!

Just like a lot of things it is all about perceived value. Get a high grade of meat and throw lots of love at it and cook it right and you like you say you are 80% of more the way there. getting double the quantity of meat for nearly the same price means you can enjoy 2 dinners.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      And I get those bones for beef soup. I can make French onion soup with them.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca that sounds really good. ;o) I guess I didn't realize I should be making French Onion soup from homemade beef stock (or from boiling the savory marrow out of $ 300.00 bone-in roasts - I'm still wrapping my arms around that one) I love proper French Onion soup... I need to buy some bowls for that.

Kind of waffling myself on what to buy from SRF. I had one of their Kurubota pork prime ribs awhile ago and it was outstanding! They are on deal right now for $97 so I'm going to buy at least one of them. I see they now french cut the bones on those for the nice presentation. I have to always get their hot dogs. I can't eat any other hot dog now that I've had them from SRF.

We are actually doing 2 Thanksgiving dinners this year. One the day before which will be prime rib on the smoker and then the traditional turkey dinner the day of so I have to decide which rib roast I want from SRF.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to try their dogs - we usually buy Frick's gourmet frankfurters.

I did the two bone-in roasts. I couldn't resist. With the deal it worked out to $15.94/lb, which is worth the upgrade from commodity beef @ 12.99/lb (or on sale @ 9.99/lb). The last one of those I bought from them was marbled to heck and back, it could have passed for prime. "USDA choice or higher."

I tossed in a hoodie for good luck.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish they had those in 2XLT! Those are sweet.

If you're looking for something that's off the charts good I'd go with Snake River. I've had choice steaks from Double R and while they were very good, in my opinion they were no better than a choice cut from a local butcher, at a much lesser cost.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't been impressed with the RR steaks, either. But I've had 3 RR rib roasts, and all have been excellent, including one that I thought was prime. I have had many wagyu briskets, and one wagyu rib roast. They are better, but only incrementally so.

And at this sale price, they are $15.94/lb. The same roast here is $12.99/lb. The $3 is worth it to get the known quality.

Out of those choices I would go with the two boneless RR roasts. I have never had one of their American Wagyu roasts but I have had their steaks. I almost think the extra fat and marbling might be too much on a roast like that. I have loved all the RR steaks I have had from SRF.

Comment

I usually buy rib roasts from costco and they are outstanding. But if I want to take it to the next level, I buy from Painted Hills ..... simply outstanding.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought the Prime boneless beef short ribs from Costco last week. I did an experiment by cutting one into thirds and cooking the other whole. If I did not know better, I would say they were Waygu based on the marbling I saw in the cut pieces. I have never seen that marbling in beef ribs before. Unfortunately, I am guessing that it was a one-time deal for the ribs.

Christmas has to be turkey by my Canadian standards. It is a long time after our thanksgiving. Those beef choices do sound awesome for another time though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here