Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawkerXP
    replied
    I have also run into the double stall with chuckies. Well, the last brisket did it too!

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    replied
    i've had em take 23 hours. it all depends on cooker and temp. there is another stall around 190 (sometimes). i cook at a higher temp now and they are closer to 12

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    replied
    It really just depends on how you feel about bark. It's not as big a deal to me when it comes to chuckies, for whatever reason.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I love to ride it out. Sometimes I will wrap once it hits 190 F or so. As far as I am concerned, the more bark the better. You can wrap, but that will soften the bark. There are a few advantages to wrapping, faster cook and you get all the glorious Au just, if you wrap in foil. (Butcher paper will soak up this oil)

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Any chuck I have smoked I wrap in foil at 160 IT, and if it stalls at 150, I'll wrap it after a while there, if the color looks good. It's just too easy to dry out the chuck I think.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    Thickness of meat determines cook time. On 10# four inch plus thick Boston Butts the cook time runs like this. 3 hours to 160, 6 hours to 180, and 3 hours to 200 for a total of 12 hours. Wrapping from 160 to 180 can cut that time in half.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    commented on 's reply
    I come close to doing that. I did not expect this to go 11 hrs. Other than a large taste it will wait for tomorrow's dinner. Had to eat something else couldn't wait until 9pm to eat dinner. I started cooking at 10am.

• texastweeter
    replied
    Riding it out makes for a harder bark, more smoke, and a darker color. I personally crutch, but with no liquid added.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    started a topic The Stall

The Stall

I just cooked a 8# Chuck. It stalled at about 140°. It took 11 hrs to get to 177° IT.
    Is it better to just ride it out or do something to get passed it like wrap or increase temp.
    Does just riding it out increase dryness?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here