Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnesdh View Post
    Zowee...this thread makes me so hungry. Just got my new kettle and SnS. I would like to do a chuckie using my kettle. Do I cook at 325 deg or 225 deg? Can I get the SnS/kettle up to 325? Anyone use a kettle to do a chuckie?

Barnesdh all your answers are here: http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!pulled-...ck-roast/c1482

Comment

I'm glad to see the kettle putting the PBC in its place one post at a time. Took the SnS to make that happen. : ) Good luck with the cook Barnesh! Looking forward to some pics!

Comment

Hey Pit Boss - I've picked up a couple of 3 pounders and have a question. Are you putting any liquid in when you wrap? If so what are you using? Thanks for all the great info - I'm really looking forward to this PBC cook!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob's BBQ View Post
          Hey Pit Boss - I've picked up a couple of 3 pounders and have a question. Are you putting any liquid in when you wrap? If so what are you using? Thanks for all the great info - I'm really looking forward to this PBC cook!

I add a little beef broth when I wrap mainly to keep moisture in while not affecting the overall taste. I like to let the smoked beef and rub do the talking.

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
            Bob's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks David - I'll add beef broth to my prep list.

Man I'm glad I found this thread. My wife loves beef, but brisket is so damned expensive around here. I don't know why it never occurred to me to try to smoke chuck roast. I was already planning on heading to Costco tomorrow so now I can just add this to my list.

I'm sure my wife will be very excited that I'll be adding another smoked beef dish to the LamityGrille menu. Once I get it done, I'll post pictures!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            We almost average a chuck per week. I rarely get to smoke it, but it still satisfies me plenty how ever it gets cooked. I plan to do that and some ribs next weekend.

• LamityGrille
            LamityGrille commented
            Editing a comment
            Just got back from picking up the chuck. It's dry brining as I write this. Thinking I'll start the smoke Wednesday night. Pretty excited!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            You're going to love that chuckie, LamityGrille . Yummy in Philly Steak Sammies and tacos. I use the leftovers instead of ground beef for my spaghetti, lasagna, and chili recipes too. Awesome taste every time.

Kathryn

I have done Pepper Stout Beef -- but I will have to try this --
          That does look awesome

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            It's amazing. You'll love it!

Did a chuck over the weekend on the BGE. Took it to 160 IT and then wrapped dry in foil to 208 IT and then wrapped in the cooler for a couple of hours. I had used a pretty complex rub I had found elsewhere with coffee....brown sugar....and various spices and it turned out very well. Pulled apart easily but not fall apart. But I did not get my temp right early on. I believe if I had gotten it at 225-250 it would have been more fall apart. At any rate it was a winner. With the price of this cut of meat you cannot go wrong.

Comment

• bep35
            bep35 commented
            Editing a comment
            What is that rub recipe? Sounds like a good one!

Welcome to The Pit Jeepman. We're glad you're here!

Comment

Hey David Parrish, I picked up a 5lb Kobe Round roast at the store yesterday and plan to start it dry brining tonight for a smoke this weekend. I was hoping to do it for pulled beef similar to the chucks you did. Is 203F a good pulling temp for round? Any other suggestions? I"m hoping to use BBBR and smoke with some full beef short ribs.

Comment

203F might be enough or you might have to cook it some more. Check it by twisting a fork in it. If it pulls easily it's done. I love BBBR but think it's even better if you add a little Cumin to it... say 1 tsp.

Comment

I dry brined two 3 pounders for Sunday about 4 hours ago. I'm going in.

Comment

Well the father in-law stopped buy which meant he needs help at home. Just need to wash the house and deck. Now what would you eat after that. Came across this thread and looks like chuck roast it is. Bought 2- 3lb chucks and made some BBBR and putting them on first thing in the morning. Love the PBC it fit inside my grand cherokee. I also grabbed some nice cold ones. I live neat grand rapids, Michigan and we have a ton of great brewery's in any direction. Gonna be a good day.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ever eat at Founder's? I've heard good things. Went there once and it was so crowded, no tables so we left. One of our Moderators Chef Ryan said Two Scotts BBQ in GR is a great place for what it's worth.

Huskee,
                  Yes been to both and very good. I have been visiting a place call Parrin brewery. There brew us off the carts food darn good also. I'm about to put the chuck to bed in the cooler.

Comment

JPS, I think a pulled chuckie sammie or two or three, washed down by some of those fine Michigan artisanal brews, is the perfect way to reward yourself for a job well done.

Let us know how it turns out.

Kathryn

Comment

Smoked chuckie I will say it again smoked chuckie. Turned out great, thought I might get leftovers but we keep picking at it while cleaning up. I would like to give a shout out to everyone on this forum for the tips. I have to say it washed down good with some perrin brewery grapefruit IPA. Us folks here in west Michigan are lucky to have a lot of places with excellent brew.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here