Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First brisket advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First brisket advice

So not only am I smoking my first brisket this weekend but I've got the added pressure of smoking a small turkey and small chicken with it for my wife's family (no pressure at all).

While I've read through many of the posts on how to prepare/cook brisket which have been invaluably helpful, I'm still trying to not look like a complete moron in front of my family. I certainly need no help in that department.

So I ask the group for their sage advice. To serve at 1pm on Sunday, at what point would I need to throw in my 8.5lb (trimmed) brisket given that I will also be smoking a 12lb turkey & 7lb chicken with it? Cooking this on a Traeger Pellet Pro. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I'd say around 10pm for the brisket (~15 hours). Maybe even a couple/three hours earlier. That way if it's done a few hours early, you can cambro it or put it in the oven on low to hold it. Because you want that poultry at a higher temp than the brisket (like 325-350). So under that scenario, you can get the lower temp brisket cook done, and then address the poultry as it deserves. Assuming you are not stuffing either bird here. Don't worry - you'll be a hero, not a moron. Or they might even consider you a genius for thinking it through and getting it done!

You may want to do the brisket more around 250 than 225 with a pellet cooker.
    Last edited by EdF; August 11, 2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• panteracfh3
      panteracfh3 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I was thinking too on time. I like the cambro idea and then dealing with the poultry at the higher temp

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Great advise EdF

EdF makes some good points about cooking temps for the various meats you are cooking.

A couple thoughts

1. Are the turkey and chicken spatchcocked or whole? Spatchcocked birds will cook in about 60-70 percent of the time of a whole bird. Take that into account when cooking the birds.
    2. What grade brisket? The better grade/quality, the faster it will cook in my experience.
    3. 8.5 lbs trimmed, so it was probably an 11-12 lb brisket. I would normally think that’s a 12 hour cook at 225-250. 250 won’t hurt that brisket at all, so cook it a little hotter and shorten your stall.
    4. If the brisket is running long, wrap it in foil and power through.
    5. If the brisket finishes early, you can hold it in your oven at 170F or in a faux cambro — ice chest stuffed with towels, then your brisket, wrapped up tightly in foil, then more towels. I’ve held brisket as long as four hours like that.

Enjoy that cook!

Comment

• panteracfh3
      panteracfh3 commented
      Editing a comment
      The birds are both whole and the brisket is USDA Prime. I also got some butcher paper to wrap and shorten the stall. Very good call on the faux cambro

Here's some advice: even if you think it is bad, they will probably think it is great. So, relax!

Also, you can go at a higher temperature and cut the time, or lower temperature and extend the time. anywhere from 225 to 275 works.

I would put that on around midnight, figuring it to be done at noon. Then up the temperature and smoke the birds. If the brisket isn't done by then, let it finish in the oven.
    Last edited by Mosca; August 11, 2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• panteracfh3
      panteracfh3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I’m sure it will be ok. I always try for the best and set the bar high

Good call on finishing in the oven. That way I can up the temp on the chicken/turkey

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      panteracfh3 once you wrap the brisket, it doesn’t really matter if you are on the Traeger or in the oven. It’s all about heat at that point.

A hold of at least an hour really helps the brisket with up to 4 hours being perfectly fine. And I agree with Mosca ,if you are running short of time, move the brisket to the oven to finish.

Comment

Epilogue:

I put the brisket on at 10:15pm on Saturday and it was ready by noon the next day. I only ran into one issue where the hopper got clogged for a bit and created an air pocket where the fire went out. Fortunately I caught it in time and the brisket was saved.

Between the brisket, chicken, turkey, and veggies, everything came out great and everyone left happy and full (not to mention leftovers for us)

Thanks to all for the advice. Already looking forward to my next smoke.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
        obiQsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        SO glad yours turned out well! My first brisket is on Labor Day weekend, also for a bunch of family. Fingers and short hairs crossed. Your experience with timing answered similar questions for me too - thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	548133Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	548134Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	548135Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	548136

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice !!! Guess you nailed it !!!

• panteracfh3
        panteracfh3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't go so far as to say that I nailed it. For my first time using a smoker, I think I did ok.

Lookin good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here