Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eric’s Brisket Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're a pretty good pal for doing this. Nicely done.

Comment

That is a great write-up. I've done a couple of write-ups for the basics of cooking and grilling, but haven't done one for low/slow. I'll be archiving this write up in case someone asks me for advice as how to cook brisket. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Comment

Great write up, thanks for sharing!

Comment

I only differ on one point. While I go with Prime whenever I can, I get excellent results with Choice as well. I don't recommend a lower grade than that, however.

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't really know what grade mine is. Went straight from my friend's pasture to the processor. I do know he is mighty tasty!

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I recommend Prime at Costco just because I know the outcome will be great. Choice in supermarkets is super variable, so I really try to avoid it.

Very similar to how I've been doing it, though I cook at 275 or 300 most of the time. I also keep meaning to wrap near the end, but lately they've been finishing in around 8 hours on the Jambo so I just have been letting them ride.

Splitting hairs, but as to your second #4, I remembered reading this in the article on wood and smoke. I don't think it will affect your friend either way, just thought it was interesting: Does meat stop taking on smoke?

There is a popular myth that at some point the meat stops taking on smoke. Sorry, but meat does not have doors that it shuts at some time during a cook. There is a lot of smoke moving through the cooking chamber although sometimes it is not very visible. If the surface is cold or wet, more of it sticks. Usually, late in the cook, the bark gets pretty warm and dry, and by then the coals are not producing a lot of smoke. Smoke bounces off warm dry surfaces so we are fooled into thinking the meat is somehow saturated with smoke. Throw on a log and baste the meat and it will start taking on smoke again. Just don't baste so often that you wash off the smoke and rub.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct regarding the smoke. Often, when it comes time to sauce ribs I'll toss a small wood chunk on the fire at the same time. The smoke will stick to the cold wet sauce.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, the correct way to say would be that smoke starts bouncing off and not adhering to the surface of hotter, dryer meat, of course.

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Melt Irish Butter in a Blackstone squirt bottle, squirt and baste @ 160 & 190 if you want more smoke taste. Personally, I've stopped adding wood chunks after the baste because I'm achieving the taste profiles I want anyway.

Nicely done, thank you. I have made your tutorial into both a PDF file and a WORD file. I cannot attach them (size limit), but if anyone wants either (or both) let me know and I will email.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Very cool .... I truly hope it’s helpful. This is many years and many ruined briskets later :-)

Only thing I occasionally like to add at the end is a "fat-flash" after cambro just before carving. Since I trimmed fat off the brisket at the beginning , while that is in the cambro, I let the remaining coals in the cooker render and heat the fat to frying temp then slowly pour over the brisket on a rack/pan that allows it to drain. Gives some extra special to the bark.
          Last edited by Polarbear777; August 10, 2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s an interesting idea .... I think I will try it next brisket I cook

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow - see 20.3. I can save $$ on Irish Butter! I'm trying this - thanks.

Great post. May forward on to some friends. Thanks.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Feel free ... BBQ should be shared far and wide!

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree on BBQ being shared. I wish someone would drop some off now!

You need to stick this in the public recipe side so I can give it 5 (sigh) hearts!

Comment

Hi ecowper!

Thanks for the write-up!! I have only cooked brisket once, years ago and it was way to dry and haven't tried it again. When I bought my new Yoder YS640 earlier this summer I bought a brisket and it has been sitting in my freezer. Thanks to your article it has given me the incentive to get it on the Yoder. THANKS again!!!

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Brisket is so awesome .... ping me if I can help at all

I just read or re-read this. One thing I would add is proper probe placement for the leave in thermometer is key. You want to get it into the thickest part of the flat, but not into the deckle or fat layer between the flat and the point. And you don't want it in the point.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              yes, I did sort of skim over that point. Thanks for clarifying

Wow. Great write up.

Comment

Haven’t heard from ecowper in a while...hope all is well.

Comment

Do you cook the brisket over a pan of water?

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Which cooker do you have? In many cases no, but in a vertical you may need to to buffer the direct heat from below.

I have a Vision Classic B grill with the heat deflector.

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a Vision grill with the heat deflector. A lot of folks with Kamados have valid reasons not to use a water pan inside. I do sometimes use one with a brisket. What is essential is putting a pan beneath the brisket to catch everything as it cooks.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here