Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fourth of July Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fourth of July Beef Short Ribs

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180704_181128.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	527172

I've been trying some different techniques to improve flavor and texture on all my meats. Here is what I did for some short ribs. (These were Choice from Albertson's at $6.99/lb.)

Started with the typical dry-brine, about 18 hours in this case. Then, while the smoker was coming up to temp, I put on some garlic powder, followed by some McCormick's Brown Sugar & Bourbon Rub for a touch of sweet and to build a bark, and finished with a medium coat of McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. (Again, I happen to like those prepared rubs because they are almost identical to what I would make anyway.) I'm trying to see if I (or rather, my wife) can taste a difference between layers and an all-in-one rub.

In the smoke (post oak splits) at about 250F for 10 hours and pulled at an IT of 195F. I usually cook short ribs just like I would a brisket except I don't wrap. However, I wrapped this time after 8 hours (and after the stall) in an attempt to get a bit more tenderness and keep them from drying out. I generally don't wrap short ribs since I agree with Meathead that they tend to become pot roast. But I wanted a bit more moisture so gave this a try. Seems to have worked well.

In the meantime I prepared twice-baked potatoes and roast/grilled corn-on-the-cob and a can of beans for the sides. The twice-baked potato stuffing included goat cheese, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese.

Here's the proof.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180704_173801.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.30 MB ID:	527151
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180703_114804.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	527152
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180704_073230.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.62 MB ID:	527153
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180704_102251.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	527154

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180704_173555.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	527155
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180704_174552.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	527156
    Last edited by boftx; July 4, 2018, 07:18 PM.

Beautiful looking ribs. I too like the coarse graininess of Montreal steak seasoning. Again nice cook sir !!

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

That looks great.

Comment

I love short ribs, great looking cook!

Comment

Nice work, and +1 on the Montreal Steak Seasoning! That's my go-to for chuck roast and beef ribs. It's even great on burgers.

Comment

Yum!! Great looking grub!

Comment

That’s a great looking cook! Love beef short ribs. Maybe even a touch more than brisket, if that’s possible.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              I would tend to agree. There is just something so primal about those Fred Flintstone dino bones. The only thing that can compare is a tomahawk steak.

I am going to try beef ribs this weekend.

Comment

Those look delicious!! Beautiful job!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Those look perfect. Nice cook.

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you

Love it!

Comment

Nice meal! Short ribs are my favorite cook.

Comment

The whole plate looks delicious!

Comment

Wow! Great color on those ribs! And you can't beat some post oak splits!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here