Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First timer with beef ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer with beef ribs

I have never made beef ribs before, wanted to try smoking them. Any good advice or tips?

The meat is just about as thick as a brisket and they cook very much the same.

I like to use a simple salt and pepper rub. The beef ribs will have toooons of flavor, so let it speak volumes. I might add some onion powder or garlic powder. But keep it simple.

Make sure to give them a good hold in a Faux Cambro as well. Let us know if you have any other questions. I just made some last weekend!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0143.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	518782​

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty sure we all made beef ribs last week.

I buy beef ribs from my butcher in 3-4 bone plates. And then I do the following

1. My butcher trims them for me, but if necessary, trim the fat and silver skin.
    2. Dry brine a minimum of 24 hours ..... 1/2 tsp of Morton’s kosher salt per pound
    3. Get your cooker up to 250F .... with the heavy duty bone and tons of fat, beef ribs can handle running at 250, give or take
    4. Keep those ribs at refrigerator temps, maybe even toss them in the freezer for 20 minutes before putting them on the grill. Cold meat absorbs smoke much better than warm meat.
    5. Get the cold plate of ribs out, apply equal parts coarse ground black pepper and granulated garlic over the surface of the meat. Liberally.
    6. Straight to the cooker, running at 250 +/-
    7. It will take 7-8 hours to cook those ribs .... somewhere around 6 hours start checking the temp with a good probe, like a thermapen .... looking for combo of temp (195-203) and probe tender
    8. When they are probe tender, pull the ribs, wrap, and hold in a faux cambro for 1-2 hours.
    9. Slice and serve :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	42E6A19F-4FDF-4BB5-9662-A110D98BB4C7.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	518789Click image for larger version

Name:	579A07AB-3DED-4198-A108-0E8BA9F5ADD6.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	518788Click image for larger version

Name:	19D28E6E-D80F-4822-9CE5-9D942B4A2B52.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	518790Click image for larger version

Name:	9C25DE5A-3318-4ABA-BDB5-3132C23114C8.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	518787

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I typically use red oak, sometimes hickory, for cooking beef. I use a cooler, as Pappy suggests or I just set my oven to 170F and hold them in there.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      BBQRapper glad that was helpful. It’s basically a combination of what Meathead does and what Aaron Franklin does.

• PaynTrain
      PaynTrain commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn

Wow that looks amazing.

Comment

I declare June 2018 as National Beef Rib Inquiry month. Any nominees for July.....?

Comment

• sos2979
        sos2979 commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear good things about beef ribs

Love beef ribs. If I get a late start, I have eaten right off the grill with no cambro time and they are still good. Cambro is better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here