Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to sear Tomhawk Ribeye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to sear Tomhawk Ribeye?

Hey guys. Always been reverse searing 1 in to 1 1/4 in steaks since i got a slow n sear. Bought two comparatively "small" Tomohawk Ribeyes from Costco yesterday. They've been dry brining since and going to cook them for Father's day tomorrow. Given their thickness how long do you think it'll take total time and when should I take them off to sear? Still at 115 or should I wait until they're 120-125 or so to get to 130-135 on a SNS? How long a rest?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180616_174234.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.00 MB ID:	517231

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180616_174302.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.54 MB ID:	517232

Win or lose tomorrow I'll post the finished product in the show us what you're cooking thread.
    Last edited by HJS; June 16, 2018, 05:36 PM.

I bought the same. I'm planning on 120 and I am doing mine tonight, so I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

• HJS
      HJS commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't wait!

If they're really thick I wait until the temp is 120-125. If they're 3/4 to 1" then I usually start at 115-120. Lately I've been front searing and I love that technique. You just sear first until the sear looks good, then move it to indirect and slowly bring it up to your target. It accomplishes essentially the same thing but eliminates the guesswork of when to sear. You have options and they'll all be quite delicious! (Oh, and no rest needed, eat a HOT steak! The 2nd half will rest while you're eating the 1st half hot).

Comment

• HJS
      HJS commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the suggestion! Will definitely try it

Like Huskee said ..... most of the steaks I cook are in the 1.5 - 2 inch thick range. I take them to 125 and then sear, get a good 135, solid medium rare outcome. As they sit on the plate while I’m fixing baked potato and salad, they come up to about 140 ..... perfect for me

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ^this^

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I swear you are my brother from another mother

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Sssshhhh, now! Tomorrow's Father's Day, leave us not ruin this fer Da', eh, Brother? ;p

I bought a couple of these at Sams yesterday. Mine are 3.5 lbs each, plus I bought a couple lobster tails to go with them.
    I usually reverse sear but this time I’ll do like others suggested above. I’m planning on 3-5 min per side sear then indirect to an IT of 135.
    I’ll cook my lobster last and bring the kettle temp up to 325-350 and take them to IT if 140 with a butter baste.

Comment

Reverse sear for me. Then on a smoking hot gasser. I did about 120, but I'd take it to 125 next time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here