Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib eye fat - how to get it to melt in your mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib eye fat - how to get it to melt in your mouth

I just had a rib eye at a local Sullivan’s and the fat just melted in my mouth. How can they do this on such a short cook? I know they use the high temps of a salamander and then finish in the oven, but it just doesn’t compute how that fat turned into butter so quickly? Will sous vide and a hot sear accomplish it?

I get it there with a slow reverse sear. Keep the indirect side of my grill at 250-275. It takes easily 30 minutes to get to 120F internal temp ... then direct sear at 800F with the firebox right up against the grill. But it takes me a good 40 minutes all in.

Comment

Welcome Fat Guy to The Pit!! Thanks for the support. Could you click on the link below at your earliest conveniance??

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club Forum fondly called The Pit! To help things run smoothly and make sure you get the most out of our great and ever-expanding community here, we've compiled some things for you to do as your time permits. I like to call this your homework assignment. The red words are links, please click them &

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Wyoming likes good steaks too welvome

Comment

I’ve been to Sullivan’s here a few times. I simply asked how they source and prepare their steaks. First they use only prime beef and second they age their meat 30-42 days. Then, as you mentioned, they cook at high heat in a double broiler. Steak at its best starts with the best beef. I don’t believe they sous vide their meat.

Comment

Welcome to the pit, thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome Fat Guy

Comment

Welcome from Indiana!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                  Glad to have ya here!

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg.

Comment

From one fat guy to another. Huntington Beach welcomes you and your quest to nail that "melt in your mouth" (MIYM) cook. In what part of the world do you reside. I've never heard of sulivans.

What they ☝️Said. Troutman nailed it. I'd eat at his house any day.

Comment

• Fat Guy
                        Fat Guy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Reading, PA. About an hour NW of Philly. Thanks for the welcome!

Sous vide will generally not produce that melted fat at a rare temp. Sous vide can do some magical things to fat, but it tends to happen at either longer cooks that you would want to put on a tender steak or higher temps than you would want... I enjoy the transformation of the surface fat on pork loin chops from 135x3-4 hours, but steaks need a bit more heat for that melted fat. Different composition of the fat, more saturated than pork.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here