Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ruined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ruined

Forgot and Left my cooked brisket flat wrapped in foil in off microwave for 12 hours before I discovered my snafu. Meat had been cooked to 203 and wrapped in foil tightly and resting. I FORGOT about it. Is it still alright to eat?

If the meat temp fell below 140F you are in the danger zone. The danger zone is 40F to 140F. At the 2 hour mark, you are almost definitely in danger and should not touch the meat.

Comment

Oh boy. That stinks.

Comment

You probably had enough heat applied to kill every single living thing on the surface of the meat 10 times over. With that said, I can't imagine the texture being anything but "chopped suey."

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, but after cooking ... sitting in the danger zone allows new bacteria, etc. it’s not worth the risk.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree with Jerod Broussard. unless it was grossly contaminated during the wrapping stage, it's very likely OK. If it doesn't smell bad, I would eat it (after reheating).

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          As I commented elsewhere, it is not the bacteria that is the problem. Yes, fresh bacteria will grow. And yes, re-heating will kill them. But ... re-heating will not get rid of the toxins that they produced and THAT is the problem with the danger zone. When in doubt, throw it out (or give it to that "special" friend).

What he said 👆👆 and it's simply not worth it. Toss it!

Comment

You could always test it on your MIL. If she survives, it's probably safe to eat depending on how ornery she is.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            I had thoughts along the same line, like a nieghbor or somebody & see what happens. 😎

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I like the way you think RonB

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking of having the co-worker that is going to get your promotion try it.

Could a slow re-heat, maybe in a sous vide style, make it safe again? Wouldn't have take all the back to 203.

Comment

• Frank10231
            Frank10231 commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe you would have to get it back above 145 to meet the USDA minimum for beef.

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            The damage is already done. It is not the bacteria that is the problem, it is the toxins that they produce. Re-heating will kill the bugs but won't get rid of the toxins.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            ^^^^this

I would call it quits with this one though.

Comment

What I wanna know is how in the hell could you forget?? Take 5 laps around your smoker then drop and give me 50 push-ups.....

Comment

You are gonna have one super happy dog.

Comment

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
                You are gonna have one super happy dog.
                Er ... I’d be careful ... pooches are susceptible to food poisoning, too.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They are supposed to be susceptible to copper-head bites too... somewhere along the line, I think my Jack Russell never got the memo.

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  texastweeter - Jack Russells are seriously special cases ... 😎 ...

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes they are, indeed. They are too smart for their own good. We have a 9 year old AKC registered Jack Russell rough coat. best snake dog on the planet. Killed a HUGE 25lb coon once by herself. Coon took a hunk out of her side I had to stitch up and watch but other than that she is indestructible. (not immune to skunk spray though)

If you don't mind facing a potential lawsuit give it to that "special" friend who is always borrowing money or tools or invites themselves to parties and just won't leave you alone.

Comment

Thanks Guys!! Ya'll should see the smiles on my yellow labs face! they loved it...Well the Point was Delicious. the Flat we will never know!1

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                    Dadof3Illinois commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well at least you ate the best part IMO..😂

Originally posted by Joebuck View Post
                  Thanks Guys!! Ya'll should see the smiles on my yellow labs face! they loved it...Well the Point was Delicious. the Flat we will never know!1
                  Happy for the dogs. Just wanted to give you some microbial information.

1. If that brisket was a toxin infested mess you probably should have thrown the cooker away too.

2. But seriously, it would take some outrageously wicked contamination by something like Staph aureus to even come remotely close to a toxin mess on a brisket taken to 200+ internal simply by dropping down into the danger zone. Salmonella, E. coli, Clost. perfringens don't create toxins on the meat, that is called Intoxication, Salmonella sickens by infection (ingestion of the actual organism) while those other two listed sicken by Toxin-Mediated infections (they release the goods after ingestion).

3. Microbes that become injured have to repair. Until they fully repair, there is no log growth and potential release of toxins, they are stuck in the lag phase. In fact the microbial stability of cured luncheon meat is due to the extended lag period required for the repair of spoilage organisms.

4. Check out this repair time: L. monocytogenes injured at 131 degrees F for 20 min starts to repair immediately at 98.6 degrees F and has completely recovered by 9 hours; But repair at 39.2 degrees F is delayed for 8-10 days and full recovery requires 16-19 days.

5. Now compare hours and hours above 165 degrees F whereby you get at least a 7log reduction (99.99999% of microbes killed).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here