Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midwestern Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midwestern Tri-Tip

Click image for larger version

Name:	132E7ABD-6F9D-4F02-BD48-9912688FE345.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	487995 After finding a Tri-Tip at a Sams club a couple months back and finding out in person how good they are. I have been searching for more. Today at a Sams club in Evansville, Indiana I found what they called Tri-Tip steaks. Sliced about 1/2” thick with the grain. I asked a butcher there if they had whole Tri-Tip? He replied that they were sealed in cryo bag and could sell me a bag if I wanted that much. He returned with a bag of choice Tri-Tip weighing almost 18 lbs. Priced at $4.88 / lb. I purchased that for several wonderful beef meals this summer. The bigger package saved about $1.00 per lb. I took them home, and found 6 Tri-Tip in the package. Trimmed some silver skin off and salted with kosher to dry brine for a day. Then to seal individually in vacuum bags for freezer storage. Just had to ask the guy behind the counter. He claims they always have them in stock. There was also a case of Prime grade beef and a small selection of Wagu steaks at about $35.00 /lb Click image for larger version

Name:	87835C22-A698-4D6B-B3E2-1EA219C1D086.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	487994

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Comment

Nice scorce....smoke ‘em if you got ‘em...and you got ‘em !!!

Comment

very nice score!

Comment

Save the fat for your grind.

Those are gonna be good!!

Comment

Great deal! I love tri tip!

Comment

Congrats on the score.

Comment

If you don't have a Santa Maria grill, what's the best way to do these? Quick and hot, low'n'slow, sous vide and sear, something else?

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Low n slow with reverse sear works for me.

• Oakgrovebacon
                  Oakgrovebacon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have brined for 24 hours, vac sealed and sous vide for 6 hours at 131° then sear over warp 10 charcoal to 140° IT and been very happy with results. I will also be smoking some now that I have found a source.

Very nice!

Comment

As a Central Cali guy, I rotisserie mine (with red oak wood chips) for about 45 mins, then sear it 5 mins per side.

If you nail this, you might have a hard time going back to brisket...

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
                    Oakgrovebacon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will definitely be trying one cooked totally over a red oak fire. Thank you for the tips.

Red oak is the only way to go. It just works with this cut like no other.

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier .... as someone else said, cook Tri-Tip reverse sear method ..... you really want to go slow when cooking indirect. Personally, I keep the indirect side about 250 at the most. Bring the Tri-Tip up to 120-125 internal. Then sear over direct, very high heat. I give it about 3 minutes per side, with a turn in the middle so I get cross hatched grill marks. I like it coming off the grill at about 135 internal temp.

I cook on charcoal, but I use red oak for smoke.

Comment

Oakgrovebacon that’s a heckuva deal man. Choice Tri-Tip is awesome. I’ve cooked Prime a few times, but didn’t feel that it made any significant difference, so I went back to Choice.

Comment

If they're marinated, I like them hot and fast on the gas. Dry brined or rubbed, throw 'em in the smoker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here