Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Tonight

On Friday, every single Packer in town was sold out. None at Costco, the local Fred Meyer, or even my local butcher. Had to settle for two 5 lb hunks of flat. They are pretty good looking and came from Painted Hills Ranch ... sure to be great anyway. Got them dry brining on Saturday morning, fired up the WSM this morning. One flat is on each grate. I put BBBR on one and pepper and granulated garlic on the other.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D85E5C9C-3AC4-41C4-BEEE-E4E9A9963C09.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	424718

Name:	F534A49E-65C7-4258-93B2-EBB4EC93EFD4.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	424719

That top dude looks really good. I have a wet-aged packer to trim and put brining today for a Tuesday night cook.

Comment

Sounds Great!

Comment

A couple hours in

Name:	7F42408D-3A06-4D0D-9433-53BAD9318AD1.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	424736

Comment

Looking yummy!

Comment

You are off to a great start.

Comment

Flats come up to temp so much faster than a packer ..... good thing I only planned on an 8 hour cook for the flats, instead of 12-14 hours like a packer.

Name:	F06A75C5-621B-41E1-90A2-632711846E72.png
Views:	88
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	424766

Comment

Brisket flats are deep in the stall now ..... internal temp has actually dropped slightly.

Name:	A76E28B0-5016-4CC7-A7A3-2DE6EB28EA7D.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	424862

Comment

Beauty.

Comment

Looks great. Are you running the water pan dry?

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, I run with water until I wrap. Humidity in the cook chamber helps with smoke flavor and smoke ring.

• jlazar
                      jlazar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I always used water with my WSM also. I just couldn't see any in the picture.

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ironically, I took that picture about 5 minutes before the temp spike started from the water running out ;-)

When your water pan runs dry, Fireboard makes it obvious.

Name:	AA5D3EC4-88F0-4B21-A733-AB8729B5F8FA.png
Views:	84
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	424887

Comment

Here’s what the flats looked like when I wrapped them. Bark was pretty nicely set and I was worried about them drying out ......

Name:	829A9D0E-B8FB-4265-85B9-A48006211288.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	424946

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here