Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Beef Rub Without Sugar? Smoked Chuck or Short Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Beef Rub Without Sugar? Smoked Chuck or Short Ribs?

I'm thinking about what to do for the family for Thanksgiving weekend (after thanksgiving), however I need to do it without sugar. My brother is in recovery (sober 4 years so far!) and among his addictions was food. He's active in Overeaters Anonymous (has lost a ton of weight) and one of the things he can't eat is sugar. I know only a miniscule amount of sugar actually ends up on the rub but it's not a diet thing, it's an addiction thing, so anything with added sugar is out. Friday night I'm planning on making Carnitas out of the leftover turkey but for Saturday I was thinking about smoking something. Pork and chicken rubs all use sugar but I thought beef might be good. So a couple questions:

1) Can I simply omit the sugar in Meathead's beef rub so my brother can eat it?
    2) I'm thinking either pulled beef with a smoked Chuck Roast or two or short ribs. Do I need to special order short ribs any certain way or just go to the grocery store and smoke whatever they have available, however it comes so long as it's not flanken cut?

Do it Texas style, just Salt and Pepper. I like 70p/30s

Comment

I agree with Bigbass300. Can't go wrong with Salt and Pepper. Although I'm sure Meathead's rub would be fine without the sugar. I'm interested in hearing about your Carnitas plans. I'll need something to do with leftover turkey as well.

Comment

1. Big Bad Beef Rub (BBBR) is my favorite for smoked beef, and like Psinderson says it can be made without the Tbsp sugar w/ zero consequence. It's not there for flavor, only bark.
        2. Should be able to. Chuck might be the cheaper option if that matters.

Comment

Try This:
          • 1/2 cup ancho chili powder.
          • 2 tablespoons smoked paprika.
          • 1 tablespoon ground cumin.
          • 1 tablespoon dry mustard.
          • 1 tablespoon corse ground pepper.
          • 2 teaspoons chipotle
          As far as the beef ribs go, I order them by the cryopack. There are usually 4 plates per pack. But if you need less tell the butcher you do not want them cut, but to trim the silverskin off the top.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh and dry brine and inject with beef aus jus

I personally only use kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, and granulated garlic on brisket and beef ribs, whether plate or shorties. I do use BBBR, but I use it on things like a ribeye or the chuck that I smoke for my chili. You could absolutely remove the sugar from BBBR, as others have said.

Also, you could try this rub. If I put a rub on beef, and it isn't BBBR, it's this ... it's my own concoction. People seem to like it.

2 TBSP garlic powder
          2 TBSP dried rosemary
          2 TBSP ground coriander
          1 TBSP Hungarian Paprika
          1 TBSP ground mustard
          1 TBSP cracked pepper
          1 TBSP kosher salt

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc sweet paprika Kathryn

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, ecowper . I'm a Hungarian Hot Paprika sort of person but respect what Hungarian Sweet Paprika can bring to the mix. I'm going to give your recipe a try.

Kathryn

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc give it a shot. I think it works well for something like Tri-Tip or flank steak, personally

1. Yes, it will work great without sugar.
          2. Hmm, I can't really say, as I haven't seen beef ribs in American stores, but most likely you should be fine. They're soo goood!!! To me, beef ribs are luxury bbq.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            where are you located Henrick. Usually all you have to do is ask. They usually get them in and cut them up for braising. Ask the butcher, like I said, usually 4 to a cryopack.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm in Stockholm, Sweden. I have several good places where I can get beef ribs, so I'm good. I just don't frequent US stores that often (for obvious reasons), that's why I replied like I did :-)

Montreal Steak Seasoning also would be good. I just checked the label, and there is no sugar in it. If you dry brine, get the low sodium version.

Comment

My wife is diabetic. I use Stevia, which is an herb with a sweet taste but is NOT sugar.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              but I would think that the stevia would not have the same chemical properties as sugar, wont help with bark, or migrate deep into the meat, am I mistaken.

I agree what the others posted. Give your brother a high five for me.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen! Congrats to your brother! Just skip the sugar in whatever rub you like. Nobody but you will know. Salt and pepper is all good beef needs anyway! Enjoy!

texastweeter, it’s what I use in making Memphis Dust for my Ribs. Maybe I don’t know any better, cuz it’s what I have had to use out of necessity.
            P.S. It seams alright because nobody new & everybody really enjoyed it. Just sayin.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh wow, unless there is a real medical need for non sugar, please try the brown sugar and white sugar (I make my own brown sugar with a kitchenaide, molasses, and white sugar). I once tried splenda, and it does not work properly. whole different game. same with brining salmon.

You've really gotten all the advice you need, but just to boost your faith I say take any rub recipe you like and simply eliminate the sugar. And kudos to for supporting your brother's recovery. You rate here as a real mensch.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll just use Meatheads BBBR without the sugar then. Not sure if it'll be short ribs or chuck yet. I'll have to price out the short ribs. I know Chuck will be pretty cheap but it would also be nice to have a shorter smoke with the short ribs.

Psinderson I saw it on Serious Eats actually on what to do with Thanksgiving leftovers and I usually use the technique (minus boiling the meat first) on pulled pork. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...as-recipe.html

Admittedly it's the only thing I do with pulled pork leftovers...it's so good. Sometimes I'll fry the meat in a skillet until it's just slightly crispy but If I'm feeling healthier sometimes I'll cook some until they're really crispy and use them as a garnish on bean and rice fajitas. Frying the heck out of them like this isn't the best if you're using the pork as the main attraction but as a garnish it's phenomenal.
              Last edited by tugboat; November 2, 2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Psinderson
                Psinderson commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Tugboat,

I have an aversion to sugar myself. I have a Keto Diet lifestyle. So I'm always on the lookout for no-sugar products. There is a complete rub made up by Bad Byron's, it is called Butt Rub. It tastes great and has zero sugar. It probably doesn't taste as good as meathead's but I don't use his rub because of the sugar. But, this site is the bomb! Using this site has really improved my cooking. Hope this helps!

I used to work on a tugboat long ago. I spent 3 years as a Tankerman and First Mate pushing barges up and down the Mississippi, Arkansas, Ohio and Inter-coastal Canal. Getting off topic, so I'll sign off now.

Regards,

​​​​​​​SmokinIt

Comment

I'm not sure short ribs would be any shorter of a cook as they need the low and slow for the connective tissue and about the same thickness as a chuckie. Whichever way you go Enjoy your time with family😎

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here