Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef top round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef top round

I picked up a 7lb beef top round because it was on sale, but I have no idea whatsoever how to cook or serve it. I understand this is a rather tough cut, so, low & slow? Help!

Thanks
    Al

Beef jerky

Comment

I was going to say jerky too. I’ve made two batches with eye of round but same difference.

Comment

DWCowles I would agree with you. Beef jerky. Or you could try one of my favorites, Baltimore Pit Beef, from this site.
        If you've dreaded stuff that passes for roast beef and wished you could find the real deal then this Baltimore pit beef recipe is for you.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I second what Thunder77 said. I have not yet done Baltimore pit beef sandwiches but it’s definitely on my list.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to try that Baltimore pit beef also

• GregS
          GregS commented
          Editing a comment
          Until just a couple of months ago, I didn't realize that Baltimore Pit Beef was it's own thing. Growing up in the Baltimore suburbs, I always thought that pit beef was something that they did everywhere.

I need to set up a small program that simply replies to everyone that wonders what to do with a round roast (whether top/bottom/eye) :-) ..... make Pit beef. It’s awesome. And make darn sure to have horseradish sauce with it!

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Or sous vide it, and then finish like pit beef.

Baltimore pit beef sammiches, with onions and horseradish sauce ...... died and gone to heaven!

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Now I will try it, thanks

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm convinced I should try this now. Stopping by the butcher shop tomorrow anyway, so why not.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Neither of you will regret this. Keep that beef rare, slice it thin, pile it high!

Thanks, guys! Im not a fan of jerky, so Baltimore Pit Beef it is!

Al

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          If you like deli roast beef, you will love Pit Beef!

Looking forward to learning from your cook. I just saw "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the cooking channel last night and that pastry guy duff recommended this place in Baltimore and their Pit Beef. Never heard of it and then it’s mentioned in this thread. Might have to try that.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Psinderson, was it Chappy's Pit Beef that they mentioned in the show?

• Psinderson
          Psinderson commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that was it! Good stuff?

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yes. Very good! They are a fixture here in Baltimore.

Before you condemn it as an impossibly tough roast, remember that companies like Boar's Head use top round to make the roast beef that ends up in the deli cases all over the country.

Cooked slow, with a recipe like the AR Baltimore Pit Beef, it is a tasty cut of meat. Just remember to keep it fairly rare and slice it thin.
        You can also use it for the Italian Beef sangwiches, another Chicago recipe that Meathead has provided for our enjoyment.

Best regards,
        Jim

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Most important advice ever .... cook it rare, slice it thin .... next most important advice .... horseradish sauce :-)

• jgg85234
          jgg85234 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, plus horseradish sauce 😋👌

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          And slice it thin.

yeah I tried smoking round once.... not a good thing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here