Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket - how much charcoal to add to the SNS after it burns out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket - how much charcoal to add to the SNS after it burns out

I'm rescheduling my Brisket cook to tonight so my son can eat with us before he goes to work tomorrow. Hoping to have it for late lunch. I started dry brining it around 6 hours ago. It's almost 9, so I'm thinking of getting it going at midnight and getting up at 6 to see it through. My question is about how you guys refuel the SNS after the original load has burned out. Do you throw another 12 lit coals on, pile on more unlit, or some other 3rd thing? Also, this brisket is 12lb after the trimming. Anyone care to give me a ball park of how long I should expect it to cook? Am I nuts to start the cook with only 9 hours of dry brining? Anything else???

Nothing wrong with a 9 hour dry brine. 24 hours is awesome, but anything over an hour is gonna make a good difference. That’s a pretty good brisket. If you are running the Weber around 250, I’m gonna say you will be in the 13-14 hour range on the cook. I personally like cooking my brisket around 250 instead of 225. Less stall, a little faster cook, brisket comes out awesome.

I’m not a WEber/SnS guy, so I can’t help with the reload technique :-(

Comment

If you get that brisket on at 11 PM (instead of midnight) that is gonna give you an extra 1-2 hours to hold the brisket in a cambro. If it gets done sooner, then you get a longer hold. Which is good. That hold is really important, in my opinion, to a great brisket outcome.
      Last edited by ecowper; September 23, 2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        hoovarmin I end up at 4 in the morning sitting there with the smoker running, smell of the brisket or pork butt cooking, me with a cup of hot coffee spiked with a little "something" and a cigar ..... tending my fire and watching the stars ......

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper, that's what I'm talkin bout! In the Pacific Northwest, as well. I can only imagine that's about as good as it gets. My little guy, Jaco (almost 2) knows something's going on and wants to be right in the middle of it. We're listening to music, and can hear waves crashing on the beach. Gonna make this a night to remember. Just wishin we had some of you guys's Dungeness Crab.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Hanging out with your little boy will make this a great night. Enjoy! Can’t wait to see pics and hear how it went.

Basically it's the same setup that you start with for a slow cook in the SNS where you light 8-10, let them ash over, then add unlit and go. To reload, just push the lit coals to one side and the amount of unlit you want.

Comment

I'll start posting the pics. This may turn out to be a Hindenburg, but I'm happy to go down with the ship
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	384526

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like fun!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, lets hope not.

What a view!!!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Bones spot on

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones, if Jaco can't break it, then it's indestructible and should receive it's own category in Max's reviews. About 8hrs into the cook and at the stall. Internal temp 165. Kettle temp 234. I injected the brisket, and right now all that liquid has come up to the surface of the meat. Would you guys soak it up with a paper towel to help bust through the stall?

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Remember "The Sears Guy" commercials?

Here we are at 183 internal temp. Everyone says wrap at 180, but I'm disappointed in the bark, and that liquid continues to pool on top of the flat, so I haven't wrapped.

Name:	Bark.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	384632

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, HorseDoctor - I'm at 190 and headed out to wrap now

• phoccer
        phoccer commented
        Editing a comment
        Start checking to see if the temp probe slides in like it's going into butter. 203 is just a guideline and your brisket could be probe tender anywhere in the 190-203+ range. Temps are guidelines, probe tender is the determining factor for being done.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        phoccer, I'll check - it's just that I have no frame of reference on that. I'm out of my element, Dude!

hoovarmin You're doing great from the looks of things. It's as simple as people say it is. If your probe easily slides into the brisket without resistance you've nailed it. Literally feels like sliding it into a stick of soft butter. Sounds crazy but you'll know when it happens. If it takes some pressure to push it into the middle in the 190s, let it go a little longer. If you are unsure at lower temps let it roll to 203 and you'll be fine.

Comment

That is one fine looking brisket hoovarmin. Love to see more pics on this cook.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          @ ecopwer, They shall be shared forthwith. At the moment, I am in the heat of battle. Can't wait to declare victory and parade the captives before the Pit. Or show an epic fail.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome, looking forward to it. Have fun!

ecowper, been waiting to make these beans since you posted them in the last Volume of Show us What you are Cooking. Even substituted a Shiner Bock for one of the cans of chicken stock. The beans were amazing. The Brisket was gobbled up by my squad - I have 7 kids and 6 of them were there, plus my granddaughter. Also pictured are some spicy pickles from an old Bobby Flay cookbook and corn bread per Sean Brock - which was an epic fail but a great learning experience.

Name:	IMG_4494.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	385099Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4491.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	385100Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4495.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	385102Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4496.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	385101
        Attached Files

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          HorseDoctor, the recipe called for coarse cornmeal, and it never quite absorbed enough liquid. it was a bit al dente.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! Everything looks delicious and congrats on the brisket.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, fuzzydaddy
          Last edited by hoovarmin; September 24, 2017, 04:58 PM.

hoovarmin that looks righteous! The brisket looks like it came out great. Nice smoke ring, good looking bark, looks moist, too. Love spicy pickles. And those beans .....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here