Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Ring

Been following this site for some time now and have been a weekend warrior for about 4 yrs now. Love some brisket and short ribs. Have the bark to my liking, juiciness and taste are great, but over the last year or so, my smoke ring has dramatically decreased. When I first started, it was a nice 1/4" ring... one that makes you feel good about yourself. Now, it's just a pencil line, which is disappointing to the eye. I use (and have used) the same smoker, charcoal and wood: Akorn, lump and pecan (not soaked as per reading through this website and "Meathead"). Where did my smoke ring go?? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170305_192525_836.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	374672

I have to ask why do you need the ring? There are articles on how to create it with chemistry. End of the day it really doesn't bring anything to the party. Just a cool factor.

is the pic the thinner ring?

Comment

I completely agree, the ring is not needed, just wondering where it went. And yes, I do like seeing it. That is smaller ring.
      Attached is NOT MY picture, it is a repost from instagram... but, how cool?! I need that in my life. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170904-161558.png
Views:	136
Size:	546.7 KB
ID:	374691

Comment

Try coldest meat possible and more smoke up front.

Comment

Looks delicious, if you still want the ring try standard charcoal?

Comment

• BBQnBEER
            BBQnBEER commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll give it a shot.... thanks.

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            BBQnBEER check out some of the weekend Brisket posts, most if the ones with a big smoke ring are KBB charcoal. Mine was KBB, Applewood.

• BBQnBEER
            BBQnBEER commented
            Editing a comment
            Pirate Scott Thank you, ill look into that as well!

For the record your first pic with the thin ring is cook book worthy. That's a wonderful shot.

Comment

• BBQnBEER
            BBQnBEER commented
            Editing a comment
            thank you for the kind words!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I wholeheartedly concur, totally!

BBQnBEER did you change your rub? I believe salt is the ingredient that helps create the smoke ring. When I reduced the salt in my rub I also reduced my smoke ring. Did you change your cooking temp so that you cooks are shorter?

Comment

• BBQnBEER
            BBQnBEER commented
            Editing a comment
            I did change the rub, never even thought to look into that.... smoke temp/duration I try to keep the same.
            Thank you!

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            LA Pork Butt that is interesting about the salt content. I suppose it would have a more pronounced ring if dry brined longer?

As a lot of BBQ nerds probably already know the smoke ring is nothing more than the outside of the meat getting pickled by the nitric oxide (NO) and carbon monoxide (CO) in the smoke. So this is really a reaction of the meat with the gasses in smoke, not the actual smoke particles that impart smoke flavor. Therefore the size of the smoke ring has no real bearing on the actual amount of smoke flavor you will get in that bite of brisket. You can even fake a smoke ring by using curing salts.

Add some Tender Quick to a rub or dissolve it in a brine and you will see an immediate difference in your meat’s smoke ring. Many competitive cookers will also use products referred to as "pink salt," Prague Powder or Fab (a meat enhancer).

Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 4, 2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• BBQnBEER
            BBQnBEER commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll give it a go. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Keep in mind Smoke rings are not supposed to be judged in competition. If there are you got a bad judge : )

Contact time with the smoke with the meat under about 130F is how to get a penetrating smoke ring. Of course the smoke needs nitric oxide or carbon monoxide to bond with the myoglobin to "fix" the ring.

So, a hot clean fire (more perfect combustion) leading to blue smoke and better smoke flavor has fewer "poorly combusted" molecules including NO & CO -- you'll end up with more NO2 and CO2 which don't react with myoglobin.

So, as you've gotten better at fire management, your smoke ring has gotten smaller… hmmm.

Cold, moist meat attracts the smoke, so try to add the meat directly from the fridge or even partially frozen. Spritz to madd moisture. Look at adding other Smoke sources that are undergoing less perfect combustion like an A-maze-n tube.

As others have said, it looks perfect to me!

Comment

Your smoke ring is fantastic and the meat looks very juicy and tasty. I am still working to get my meat looking that good!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Me,Too!!!

I agreed with Jon Solberg

Comment

Bottom line is, you said the bark was great, it was juicy & it tasted great, Okkaaayy, & you want a Rembrandt. Ease up, take a deep breath & enjoy! That is a great pic of some great food. We sure enjoyed it.

Comment

That beef short rib in your first post looks fantastic BBQnBEER. As Jon Solberg says, that picture is cookbook worthy. In any case, if you used to have a deeper smoke ring, and now have a thinner one, something has changed. Discovering what has changed will enable you to "fix" the problem .... although I'm not sure that any fixing is needed, honestly.

Have you read these articles on smoke and smoke rings?

Smoked meats often have a pink layer below the surface called the smoke ring. But you don't need smoke to create it! It is created by myoglobin, a protein in meat, reacting with combustion gases. Read on to learn how removing the fat cap from meat, keeping the meat moist, and cooking low and slow create the smoke ring.

Learn all about wood smoke and how it adds flavor to BBQ. Find out whether you should be using wood chunks, chips, pellets, logs, or sawdust in your cooker. Discover the truth behind the claim that different woods have different flavors.

One of the key things to developing both great BBQ taste and the smoke ring is to have a hot fire. Keeping your fire small, but hot, with good airflow, is important.

Comment

Wow, thank you all for your feedback and kind words. That's why I love this site!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here