Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In a pickle-bought a not-porterhouse porterhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a pickle-bought a not-porterhouse porterhouse

Need some advise from y'all...
    During our weekly outing at the grocery store, I was waiting in line to ask for thick cut pork chops, when some nice looking steaks labeled "Porterhouse" caught my eye. Not being totally versed in what makes a porterhouse a porterhouse (I pretty much thought they were just bigger t-bones), I switched tactics and picked one up for dinner tonight. It was 11.99 a pound, bout an inch and a half thick, and cost me about $17 all told. The marbling's good, and the steak was better than many I've had, so I'm not mad about the purchase, but I did some research and found out that it was not in fact a porterhouse. There's a picture attached, during the reverse sear. I didn't trim it at all.

Some background, this is a small grocery store chain. 3 locations in the immediate area and that's it. I shop there almost exclusively, I just like it better than the local big-box... Their meat department definitely isn't exceptional, and I'm also fortunate enough to have a butcher shop in the area that I usually get my bbq cuts at, but for the staple meats (chicken breasts etc) they're not any worse than anywhere else.

I want to know if anyone else has ever had this problem. Like I said, the steak was tasty, and I tend to think "buyer beware" so I'm not personally pissed, but it definitely isn't proper and I feel a need to do something about it, maybe talk to the manager of the department? I don't know...

EDIT: I looked at the label again after reading my post over. It was 11.99/lb. I don't know where 3.99/lb came from...
    Last edited by my_first_username; August 13, 2017, 08:08 PM.

Forgot to attach the picture
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a bone-in strip, or half a porterhouse! Yikes! But heck at $3/lb I wouldn't care what they labeled it!

Comment

• my_first_username
        my_first_username commented
        Editing a comment
        I just looked at the label on it, because I thought through the math, and it was $11.99/lb. I don't know why I typed $3/lb... I'm editing my original post

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, that sounds more realistic! my_first_username

So, a Porterhouse is carved from the larger part of the tenderloin or short loin .... but is otherwise the same as a T-Bone. According to the USDA specifications, the filet portion must be at least 1.25" thick at its widest point to qualify labeling as a Porterhouse Steak. A T-Bone Steak must be at least 0.25" thick. If the filet portion isn't at least .25" thick at its widest point, it is called a Club Steak according to USDA specs.

This looks like it would be a Club Steak.

By the way, very nice looking steak and a great price you paid.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, i agree with ecowper . No loss there - good steak and decent price.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I love it when you talk that USDA-ness

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey :-D

my_first_username .... based on USDA specs, that is not a Porterhouse. It is, at best, a T-Bone. But I think it is really a Club Steak. And you should chat with the meat shop manager or store manager about it. Because they are misleading you about what you are buying.

Comment

I think the butcher at the local market may be misunderstanding what is a porterhouse steak. I'd go back and if they are still selling them explain the difference.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Butcher.... I think not. Let's here it forr the "Meat Cutters!" There are plenty of great ones too!

And for something completely different: porterhouses are not that great, because half is loin strip and half is tenderloin. Makes it difficult to cook right.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree!!! But they do look impressive!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here