Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cross-Cut Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross-Cut Short Ribs

I picked up a package of "Beef Short Ribs Trayed" at Sam's club today.

Total of 16 cuts. 7 off the big end of the rack, and 9 off the smaller end. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cook these on my pellet smoker. Meathead says short ribs are much like brisket and should be cooked low and slow to melt the fat and the connective tissue. My concern is that when the cuts are this thin, they will dry out before they are done cooking low and slow.
    Attached Files

Well, these appear to be "flanken cut", which is what Korean BBQ places use. You want to look up "Korean short rib recipes" on the internuts, and use one of them. Basically, it will be some kind of marinade for some amount of time, followed by cooking hot and direct. And you'll like it!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah. Done this before mmmmmmm good!

I agree with EdF. Hot and fast is the way with flanken,

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And they come out very fine indeed!

Flankenberry wibs fast & furious! Yeah, that's the ticket.

Comment

Agree 101%

Comment

Agree with everyone. These are NAMP #123B Korean, or Flanken cut. They are cut this way to cook fast. I have always appreciated these cuts like this, as many Korean style of cooking. Everything they cook is usually hot and fast.

Comment

Kalbi is the korean method for flanken cut ribs.

This is my favorite Kalbi recipe, give it a shot

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            And I just happen to have a jar of gochujang hanging around!

Thanks much for the info. You all make this place worth the price of admission. I'm scratching my plans to cook these on the pellet smoker.

I already had a good bulgogi recipe, but I'm going to try the one at allrecipes for my first stab at Kalbi. It's very similar to the bulgogi recipe.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            A lot of people cook these on a table-top grill, with each eater cooking their own. Party food.

Grilling is the way to go but they need tenderizing. You can rub with with a kiwi or asian pear and let them sit at list 12 hours before grilling.
          I do mine 135 degrees in the hot tub time machine to get them steak tender. finish on the grill

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here