Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Fire for Brisket on WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Fire for Brisket on WSM?

I am new to the Pitmaster club, but not new to the web site. I am looking forward to participating in the discussions and learning from the masters. I usually use the Minion method for my fire in the WSM when I am cooking a brisket. After listening to Harry Soo and reading on the site I want to try either the Soo doughnut or the Fuse method. I have read that the fuse will last longer. Is this true? If so, does it create a less even heat and does that cause a problem with a brisket? Thanks for your opinion and your experience.

I dont have a WSM I have a Faux Kamado (Akorn) I use what I call the Snake method (a ring of Charcoal around the outside of the fire chamber with a small bucket in the middle and a inch thick flat rock separating the beginning and end of the snake.) I Start the fire on one end and let it burn around. (here is a video where I show it jump to 1:40 sec https://youtu.be/-DbVzIW7NyM ) Make sure you have a diffuser (SP?) IE water pan it will cause the smoke to come up only on the sides (evening out the heat) Get (if you don't have one) a good leave in Thermometer and put it as close to the middle of the grate as possible but 2 inches away from the meat. It will tell you the heat at the grate level. The round shape of the lid of the WSM turns the heat into a confection. So don't worry about where the heat is coming from it will even out if you have the water pan in place. I'm sure actual users of the WSM will be along shortly to let you know for sure!

Comment

I use the Minion Method exclusively in WSM (with water pan...full of water) and, depending on weather and running temp of the pit) I can easily get 16+ hours out of a full load of charcoal (briquettes). My WSM is quite "seasoned" so it runs right around 265* with everything wide open (top and bottom vents).

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        What Greg said! I don't fill the water pan all the way up. Do line it with foil for easy cleanup!

Txmat A lot of my answer is going to depend on what size WSM you have. The WSM 14, 18 and 22 all have different heat profiles, from what I have read and seen.

More importantly, though, it is also going to depend on you, how well you know your WSM, and how much you like to tinker.

Finally, in my humble opinion, the single most important key to cooking on a WSM is to have a small, hot fire and plenty of airflow through the WSM.

On to my own preference. I use Soo's Donut primarily in my WSM 22. It's really a modified Minion method. Sometimes, with a longer cook, I use a fuze .... fire brick in the middle, and wrap a fuze of charcoal around it in a C shape. Dump about 20 lit briquettes at one end of the fuze. Lots of air. :-)

Comment

I use Soo's donut with a coffee can. I have cooked a handful of briskets, so not a ton. However, the last (3) I cooked on my wsm 22 I used Bludawg's Brisket recipe. It is a hot and fast method. Here is an excerpt verbatim from a post on smokingmeatforums.com where I learned this method. Produces the best brisket I have ever cooked and takes much less time.

"BLUDAWGS BRISKET - K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb

Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub

1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)

apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg

place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner

cook Brisket 4 hrs

remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.

after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.

once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.

Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag"
        Last edited by Hulagn1971; August 11, 2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
          Txmat A lot of my answer is going to depend on what size WSM you have. The WSM 14, 18 and 22 all have different heat profiles, from what I have read and seen.

:-)
          I should have said I have an 18.5 WSM

Comment

Txmat .... use Soo's donut .... fill the fire ring full with a coffee can or chimney in the middle to create a donut. Layer your wood chunks in the donut. Pull the can/chimney out. Light about 30 briquettes. When they are grey and ashed over (careful how you say that), dump in the middle of the donut. Use a full water pan. Use bottom vents to get air to the fire and top vent to control airflow and temperature. I run my WSM at 250-275 for brisket.

The brisket
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9674.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	360731

The charcoal setup .... last pic is in the dark, cause brisket started at 4 AM

Name:	IMG_9678.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	360733Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9679.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	360734Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9708.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	360732

And the finished product

Name:	IMG_9716.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	360735

Comment

• smokinfatties
              smokinfatties commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Bill - I usually only put 2-3 hours of smoke on ribs. For brisket it usually is about 6 or so hours. On WSM I use apple/hickory chunks- for ribs i use 2 each (4 total) and for brisket/butts i use 3-4 each (6-8 total) - about the size of a tennis ball or smaller.

• smokinfatties
              smokinfatties commented
              Editing a comment
              also, no matter what, make sure that you do not wrap until bark is set (if you touch meat with your finger and rub comes off, it probably isnt set yet.. if just oil comes off you're good). You can also do a light scratch with your fingernail and bark should not come loose.

• uplandBill
              uplandBill commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for the tips. I did do a 10lb butt this past weekend, and see now I didn't smoke it enough ... but it was still tender and tasty. Keeps getting better though. Thanks again

It is important to point out that the donut or coffee can method is pretty much the same as a traditional Minion Method. Don't get lost in the minutia of the same same stuff!

Comment

BBQCentralShow is right .... the Donut is a Minion method with a twist, it's not something new. Cause there's not much new under the sun. The big difference is that you aren't layering the briquettes across the entire surface of your unlit charcoal as you would in a Minion setup. I like the donut because it starts a bit slower, and keeps the pit temp from getting out of control.

Comment

Remember, the big advantage to any of these methods is that you are controlling the temp of your pit on the way up... It's way easier than trying to bring an over-shot pit down... Been there, done that!

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What? It's so much fun to try and get your 340 degree WSM down under 300 degrees. So. Much. Fun.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Like this? Oh well image wouldn't paste.

• Noverini
                  Noverini commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So much fun scooping out lit coals and putting them in the kettle at 1am. Swearing and all the fun stuff. lol

Welcome to fun and learning!

Comment

Welcome Txmat

Comment

Here's the image I was talking about

Oh well, fail!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to use the doughnut method and it worked well. Still had heat and unburned briquettes when the cook was over. This was the best brisket I have ever done. Even my neighbor who does a great brisket ( I beat him on ribs every time) said I nailed it. It was also the fastest brisket I have ever cooked. It was an 11.5 lb select from Sam's which did not need much trimming. It was ready in 11 1/2 hrs. My goal was to cook it at 250, but most of the cook the WSM was running in the 260s. At one point I had to really close down the top vent for about 15 min. as the temp was going up fast. All in all it was a great cook and I think all of you for the advice. I am enjoying reading and learning from all the posts.

Comment

That's great to hear

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here