Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak too Salty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak too Salty

I have over the years perfected my seasoning mix for steaks cooked on the grill. I recently bought a traeger pellet grill and have been playing around with smoking my steaks for 30-40 minutes before finishing them on the hot gas grill. Last night I did this and the steaks came out WAY too salty. (I purposely used less salt than I normally would if just cooking them on the gas grill). Has anybody else had this happen? I would have thought that I screwed up and just over salted the meat, but in this instance I was conciously using less salt than normal. I am guessing that the time in the smoker intensified the action of the salt, but i was hoping some one here could shed some light on this for me.
    Thanks.

That's weird ... you didn't by chance switch from Kosher salt to table or sea salt for this cook did you?

Comment

I didn't change anything on the salt. I always use Toms smoked salt on my steaks, I have been using it for 15 years with great results. I am wondering if the amount of time the seasonings were on the meat cold make that much difference in the saltiness? An hour and 15 minutes as opposed to my normal 30 minutes.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        No, not in my opinion. Any chance your wife salted it before or after you did?? Maybe that dreaded old' timers disease is rearing it's head, and you salted twice yourself? Welcome to the pit by the way...

It wasn't my wife, but maybe I grabbed the salt container instead of the pepper container. They look identical, and the salt is almost black like pepper, that might explain it. I will be very careful the next time I try this method and see what happens.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        That's better than CRS. Just a minor mix-up. Any photos of that steak??

Yeah, that sounds like double salt jeopardy to me .... I've never used Tom's salt, but I can see how you could double salt accidentally.

Comment

I'm assuming the steaks have been eaten. but, one thing you can do is simply eat potatoes with it that aren't salted. if the meat is so salty it can't be eaten, you can use it for stew. start by cooking the meat in a bit of water with potatoes. the potatoes will take some of the salt and will make amazing potato dishes as a result. then use the meat juices from the cook for various purposes from stew to sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here